+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-You-Are-Wrong... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Article: If You Think RIM Is Dead, You Better Change Your Mind: You Are Wro

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Unfortunately, this is another fanboy article, similar to the article yesterday from Crackberry. The author admits it: 'thanks to RIM who “sent” me there in the role of BlackBerry ambassador.'

The tech sites that are not BlackBerry fan sites and whose reporters are not RIM representatives are far less bullish on RIM.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Many of my associates in the BlackBerry Support Forums were sent to BBWC, and I bet if I had stayed active there, I would've been there, too, as a guest of RIM.

I'm not sure, had I been there, if I would've felt the same way as many of the other attendees do.

RIM has a huge task ahead to compete with technologies that are years ahead of them. The little we've seen and heard thus far looks promising, though. It's gonna be a long few months, especially for RIM, to see this all hit the market.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Roger, I checked that author's Twitter account. He mentioned that his Klout score went up when he switched from iPhone to BlackBerry, which sounds unusual to me. http://lucafilos.tumblr.com/post/22589928961/are-you-more-connected-with-a-blackberry-the
    Laura

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Laura, while I agree that this is a "fanboy" article, it has some interesting and good points in it. All articles these days are written with a tendency to lean in one directions or another, it does not matter what is being discussed it is impossible to get real news any more (i.e. unbiased). If you go to other sites you will see how people praise Apple or Android, and then you read the comments and supporters will either be in full agreement, or cry foul, for example the comment about the Samsung SIII, stating that there is nothing special, and look at the plastic case etc. The only thing with RIM and I would say Windows phones is that they have less of a following than the others. As I said earlier RIM needs to get their phone out as soon as possible (ensuring that it is ready, not make the mistake of the Playbook, if it had been released with the software it now has it would definitely have had more of a following), after all in the tech world today what is considered amazing, will be old hat in a couple of months, no tech company can keep the lead truthfully for very long. If you look at the specifications of the IPhone 4S, technically it is behind (on processor, battery, etc) the latest Android phones, but with Apple they have a loyal following and a good OS which people are comfortable with, which also was fast enough when they bought having a newer faster system available doesn't make the system you bought slower than when you purchased it. It hurts more when new games come out that require a faster processor and more memory. Speaking of games you may find this article from Crackberry.com amusing (Statistics can prove anything!!!).. http://crackberry.com/why-usa-needs-...eback#comments

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Would you people please stop linking to CB please? Geez!

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I highly doubt you will find anybody over there linking back to us.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Sorry Roger, but I thought the article was really funny, a good bit a tongue in cheek humor, something that I would like to have written myself. I will try to avoid linking in the future
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Laura, while I agree that this is a "fanboy" article, it has some interesting and good points in it. All articles these days are written with a tendency to lean in one directions or another, it does not matter what is being discussed it is impossible to get real news any more (i.e. unbiased). If you go to other sites you will see how people praise Apple or Android, and then you read the comments and supporters will either be in full agreement, or cry foul, for example the comment about the Samsung SIII, stating that there is nothing special, and look at the plastic case etc. The only thing with RIM and I would say Windows phones is that they have less of a following than the others. As I said earlier RIM needs to get their phone out as soon as possible (ensuring that it is ready, not make the mistake of the Playbook, if it had been released with the software it now has it would definitely have had more of a following), after all in the tech world today what is considered amazing, will be old hat in a couple of months, no tech company can keep the lead truthfully for very long. If you look at the specifications of the IPhone 4S, technically it is behind (on processor, battery, etc) the latest Android phones, but with Apple they have a loyal following and a good OS which people are comfortable with, which also was fast enough when they bought having a newer faster system available doesn't make the system you bought slower than when you purchased it. It hurts more when new games come out that require a faster processor and more memory. Speaking of games you may find this article from Crackberry.com amusing (Statistics can prove anything!!!).. http://crackberry.com/why-usa-needs-...eback#comments
    I actually agree with the comments re: the plastic material on the SIII and the Focus 2. The Focus 2 is a cheap Windows Phone, so the plastic does not bother me as much, since "you get what you pay for". I would expect a better grade of plastic on the SIII, since it it a high-end Android device.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ another sign of technology changes when plastics were first invented people wanted things made of plastic because they were light and strong, when I was a kid my Mother was a receptionist for a company that made plastic bottles that were clear just like glass but didn't break, we all thought the bottles were amazing. Now its back to glass
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    I don't know if anyone follows Al Sacco from cio.com. His articles about RIM tend to be the most objective and least biased.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    ^^^ another sign of technology changes when plastics were first invented people wanted things made of plastic because they were light and strong, when I was a kid my Mother was a receptionist for a company that made plastic bottles that were clear just like glass but didn't break, we all thought the bottles were amazing. Now its back to glass
    Plastic does not have to look and feel cheap. The BlackBerry 9000 certainly did not have a cheap look and feel, although it was made from plastic. It looked and felt much better than the 83xx Curves. The 83xx BlackBerrys looked and felt cheap.
    Laura

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Actually the look of the "plastic" on the SIII is tacky, not to my taste.
    But let me correct you. It's poly- carbonate, not some cheap thing that the sites are claiming.
    Now to get back on track, I'm not surprised by this type of article. Apple and Google do "help" their favorite web sites, and the fan identity is well known, and freebies do get sent to them for testing. It's no wonder that they're inherently biased.
    So why can't RIM do the same? It's important also for these sites to get some lifeblood into them or else they will vanish as well.
    The highest of optimisms regarding RIM is something we must read and analyze.
    Exaggerated? Yes. Forcibly, due to the precarious situation they're in.
    Believable? No. Not until RIM comes out with something real and working.
    And that's what RIM hasn't been able to do, in the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Delfim; 05-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Reading anything BB related is difficult for many of the reason mentioned above. I would not worry about BBWC next year nor that site who we never mention.

Current nothing has changed, RIM is still doing what they have been doing for years, touting words, ideas and possibilities, showing a few pictures and trying to keep supporters interested.

If they do pull through by years end it's still a "me too" "us to" year one device. They have a long way to go and it's going to take time and proof. Talk is cheap with RIM since they seem to miss the boat each time.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Now to get back on track, I'm not surprised by this type of article. Apple and Google do "help" their favorite web sites, and the fan identity is well known, and freebies do get sent to them for testing. It's no wonder that they're inherently biased.
    So why can't RIM do the same? It's important also for these sites to get some lifeblood into them or else they will vanish as well.
    The highest of optimisms regarding RIM is something we must read and analyze.
    Exaggerated? Yes. Forcibly, due to the precarious situation they're in.
    Believable? No. Not until RIM comes out with something real and working.
    And that's what RIM hasn't been able to do, in the last couple of years.
    I never had any Palm devices, so I never followed any Palm "fanboy" sites. Was there a similar type of thing going on at the Palm sites after Palm's introduction of WebOS, which never took off and ultimately led to Palm's demise?
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast