+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ck-Your-iPhone... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: No, Thieves Won’t Chop Off Your Finger to Unlock Your iPhone

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well if it had been the first couple of IPhone incarnations that had the fingerprint scanner, there probably would be a surge of missing fingers, although to be honest crooks will find a way to get into the software, without such drastic measures. Today I don't think there is such a hype for the new IPhones as there used to be, so why risk cutting off a finger, just watch for those that don't lock down their devices.

I hasten to add I do not recommend obtaining any item by illegal means!

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    People will always find a way to get by security. Lets face it somebody has to build it so somebody will break into it. Now it would be nice to find a way to keep people from using stolen phones

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    No need to chop fingers. Just knock them out and use finger to unlock. Not that I would do something like this but just a thought for my fellow thugs out there.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    People will always find a way to get by security. Lets face it somebody has to build it so somebody will break into it. Now it would be nice to find a way to keep people from using stolen phones
    With iOS7. If the stolen device is turned off. Or wiped. It requires the Apple ID to be entered.

Is that only if it is tagged as stolen? Just wonder how this is going to work with people selling phones. And since you are saying this is with iOS7 I would guess that includes any phone upgraded with the OS including the 4S

I'm thinking waterproof cases are now going to be out if you want to use the finger print scanner or is there a way to make them work?

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Is that only if it is tagged as stolen? Just wonder how this is going to work with people selling phones. And since you are saying this is with iOS7 I would guess that includes any phone upgraded with the OS including the 4S

With iOS7, Your iPhone or iPad is locked to your AppleID. This is your iCloud account. Not your iTunes account. When selling your iPhone or iPad, you simply delete your iCloud account form that device. To do this you must enter your AppleID password. To turn Find My iPhone off, you must enter your AppleID password. If you put the phone in DFU mode and re-install iOS. You must enter the AppleID login credentials to activate the iPhone. That's because the device is locked to your AppleID. If you lose your iPhone, and you decide to erase it through Find my iPhone, after it's erased you can still display a personal message on the screen. Such as, "this iPhone is lost, please call ###-###-####" Again, that's because the device is locked to your AppleID. So stealing an iPhone with 7 installed is pretty much pointless. No one can use it until your AppleID is entered. No matter what you do.

Yes, it's for any device that's capable of running iOS7. That's the iPhone 4,4S,5,5S,5C. iPad 2,3,4 and mini, and iPod Touch 5th Gen.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    I'm thinking waterproof cases are now going to be out if you want to use the finger print scanner or is there a way to make them work?
    Don't think anyone knows just yet. OtterBox has released their Defender case that they say will work with TouchID. Even through they screen protector. I'm not sure though. The metal ring around the Home Button tells it that your finger is onthe button and ready to scan. So, I'm not sure that will work. With waterproof cases, the button is covered. So none of the current cases are going to work with TouchID at this point. If the the sensor can be told that your finger is on the button and ready to scan through a protector, then I'm sure someone will get a case out that allows it to do so with waterproofing.

For me it's not really an issue. I only put on a waterproof case when I know I'm going to be in the water and want to take photos. During the week I use my MagPul case and I don't use any case on the weekends.

+ Reply to Thread