+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ices-Except...... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Article: AT&T Settles Lawsuit By Unlocking Devices, Except...

Advertisement

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1
    YEAH!!! It's atleast a partial release of the stranglehold the carriers have on the NorthAmerican consumer....
    Paying activation and terminaton fees should be next - from what i see on european sites, their monthly plans INCLUDE the price of the device. and they have booster packs to not allow overage gouging.
    (I am referncing t-mobile UK, German and Netherlands sites)
    Ohhh BTW........just what exactly is a Bunky?

PIN/ID
    Ask
    In Europe, the idea of a subsidized device is alien. Typically they pay less per minute overall, but pay the full price of the device. The US is the exact opposite. We tend to pay more per minute, but get the devices at a reduced price. However, the idea of a long contract is also not very common in the European market. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if I got more minutes for less. Hence why I went with T-Mo's EMP plan. I pay the full device cost, but I get nearly twice the minutes and data/text for a lot less then I was paying.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Hmmm? Well, that's good news. I'm not sure how this is related but I was always able to request an un-lock code from AT&T when I had my BB's. They gave me email instructions on how to unlock my Bold 9000 and Pearl 8100. This was a few years back and I had owned each for several months before making the request.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    lol. I don't truly see at&t giving anything up. By maintaining the restrictions they have, they appear to be conceding but it seems to me that they have kept the most popular devices they will be selling as still not unlockable through them. God I love that T-Mobile will unlock any of their devices just because you asked and have been in good standing. I have personally asked at&t for the unlock code on some of my previous devices and only once did I not have to jump through hurdles. Crazy as it sounds, that one time I was actually no longer a customer of theirs and had a zero balance.

Zo

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I think the biggest reason for the suits was to have AT&T establish set criteria for distributing unlock codes. Apparently the decisions were abitrarily being made.

+ Reply to Thread