+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ay-Per-MB-Plan... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Article: T-Mobile Introduces Pay Per MB Plan

Advertisement

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

forevrelephant no está en línea Stack level 1
    I hover somewhere around 200Mb every month, but I'm always over/under by about 40Mb so these plans don't really appeal to me because the overage prices are unfair. They should just upgrade you to the next tier for that specific month.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    This wouldn't reduce my cost by any means. If they are going to do this then why take away the thirty dollar unlimited plan? I agree that i am a heavy data user, I pay my unlimited fee and that should be that. I can't help it if Joe smo doesn't use as much as i do. I wouldn't be upset if they did this with the option of unlimited for five more dollars than now. That seems fair, but almost $2 a MB, that is crazy. I'll open a second line to prepare for my iPhone on verizon(fingers crossed) and pay full retail for that phone just so i can be grandfathered in. If you complain that your cell bill is too high and you are having to cut back else where in your budget just to have a fancy toy then you really should look at your priorities again. We see folks complain that they are broke and it all cost too much, I can't pay my bills because everything cost so much. News flash to all those, IT'S YOUR FAULT,IT'S YOUR DOING. Every person makes choices in life that will affect who they become, if you are lazy and worry about what everyone else thinks of you, you will get left behind in the world. People, make smart decisions with your finances and remember, IT IS ONLY A PHONE.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I like to see options like this so people have more choice but I'd never be able to fit into a plan like this one.

Choices are good tho. Nice job TMo.

Le Milkmaid no está en línea Stack level 1
    If you check with the company, it specifically caters to people who DON'T use Smartphones like the Blackberry. It is specifically meant for occasional use on phone first devices where web browsing is not being accessed frequently or for "major" web browsing. Users are still able to access Facebook and other websites, they just shouldn't expect the same as an Android phone or other Smartphone.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Regardless of the type of device, web pages are still going to vary greatly in size. Again, unless pages visited are mobile optimized, it's going to get into the MB range very quickly. I think for value to customers, they should introduce a tiered plan, but still offer the unlimited. Give customers several options to meet their needs rather then the two.

There's a lot of people (I can't possibly be the only one) that do not have data plans at all because we simply use Wi-Fi to surf the web. I wonder if this restructuring of pricing for data plans is targeted to us? As Wi-Fi connections proliferate, the need for a data plan is just not there any more. Perhaps they are trying to make data plans more attractive to folks that are using Wi-Fi as an alternative.

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just wonder what the increment is going to be. 1 MB? 100 KB? 10 KB? 1 KB? 1 cent? 10 cents? 1 $?

I guess this will be made for people who use only mobile/WAP-optimised sites which pages weigh in well under a megabyte per page.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    There's a lot of people (I can't possibly be the only one) that do not have data plans at all because we simply use Wi-Fi to surf the web. I wonder if this restructuring of pricing for data plans is targeted to us? As Wi-Fi connections proliferate, the need for a data plan is just not there any more. Perhaps they are trying to make data plans more attractive to folks that are using Wi-Fi as an alternative.
    I am one of those that uses Wi-Fi anytime it is available. Particularly at home. However, there are infinitely more times then not that wi-fi isn't available and I use many data intensive apps. Ranging from social networking, email, data backup, web browsing, and everything else I can make my BB do. Many of them run in the background and I never even notice. Just for a reference, I went through my T-Mo bill from last month and I used approximately 250mb worth of data for the month. That doesn't include the wi-fi however, which I'm sure was quite a bit too.

I do see where you're coming from though Mark and I would agree that for those who are strictly wi-fi users, this plan could allow for some basic connectivity for email or even lite social networking. I would love to hear from someone who uses this plan to see approximately how much data they use per month and their average cost. If you are someone who does or know someone, please PM me.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I think these data plans are an incentive for non smart-phone users. I think they are trying to simply get ALL the users to warm up to concept of using data. That way they will eventually get smart phones.

If you think about it, this rate is perfect fro a phone like the razr.

ducksmith no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    200E549A
    This does not work for blackberries (learned the hard way) but the customer service rep didn't know that. I switched my son (he has a Curve) and he lost web access until we realized that it wasn't working so I had to switch him back. The first time I can remember T-Mobile's customer service being less than stellar.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I had that happen over the weekend (about C.S falling short). I got a bold 9700 and they added the generic "smart phone data". After 4 hours I called in and asked about having data work but not email. They said to wait. I told them that BIS is either both or none, but they kept telling me to wait. Anyway, eventually after waiting 24 hours I called them and insisted to have my account options looked at in detail. They figured out that they gave me the wrong package. First time this kind of a mix up has ever happened.

+ Reply to Thread