+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RemyKirin

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...few-more-bucks... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: AT&T to change data plans; more bang for a few more bucks

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    When I first saw them I was not sure what to think? I'm still using the grandfathered unlimited plan but my first impression is they seem ok.

I've been checking more often how much data I actually use over the last year or so and I'm surprised to say, not much.

I'm on WiFi more than anything.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    with tmo I pay 20 for 5GB 4g.... compared to this Im getting an awesome deal, no temptation to leave tmo anytime soon.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Tmobile doesn't have 4G

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Tmobile doesn't have 4G
    Wait, Lets be clear here. Does Tmo have 4G speed?

Officially, No

According to the International Telecommunication Union, the answer is No. In fact, according to the ITU, no U.S. carrier has a 4G network — or even anything close.

Its official definition of a 4G network requires a mobile device to be able to exchange data at 100 Mbit/sec, much faster than anything currently available. That’s about five times faster than the LTE networks that Verizon and AT&T will deploy.

The ITU is not a quick-moving organization. It only recently defined 4G, while the definition of 3G was codified when EDGE was an up-and-coming new technology. To give you some idea of what that means, a 3G device can offer data speeds as slow as 3.84 Mbit/sec.

Unofficially, Yes
    The wireless carriers as a group have clearly decided that the ITU is overly conservative in its definitions. And there’s justification for this — not many people would agree with the ITU that a network that is 10 or 20 times faster than its predecessor is still part of the same generation of technology.

That’s why some telecoms have begun saying they offer 4G networks. This is a marketing term, but it does the job of letting consumers know that they can expect much faster data speeds than were available in the past.
    The first company to do this was Sprint, who says its WiMAX network is 4G. Very few people have argued this point, even though WiMAX is not 4G by the ITU definition – it offers peak download speeds of up to 12 Mbps, and average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps. Still, WiMAX passes the basic test of being significantly faster than its predecessors.
    What about T-Mobile 4G?
    Although there was no protest about Sprint saying it has a 4G network, there was quite a bit when T-Mobile said this week that its nascent HSPA+ network is 4G. These protests have little justification.

In real world tests by a variety of third parties, T-Mobile’s HSPA+ service has performed close to Sprint’s WiMAX service in downloads – sometimes doing a bit better, sometimes a bit worse. When it comes to uploading data, the HSPA+ network is generally faster, sometimes twice as fast.
    Considering T-Mobile offers a wireless service that’s much quicker than 3G networks, and roughly as fast as a rival network that most people agree is 4G, then this carrier clearly has a 4G network.
    No mater what the ITU says.
    - Ed Hardy (Brighthand.com)

So in closing if you want to say "does tmo have 4g by ITU standards?" the answer is no, but then again the answer would be no for ATT, Sprint, and Verizon as well. If you are going by the marketing term 4g(that the rest of the world pretty much goes by), then yes all the major players have it.

But Im guessing that you wanted to be technical because if you didnt that means your previous statement was trolling. But if it makes you feel better I can rephrase my previous statement as to not offend you:

with tmo I pay 20 for 5GB (HSPA+).... compared to this Im getting an awesome deal, no temptation to leave tmo anytime soon.

Last edited by RemyKirin; 01-21-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Clarity
    srl7741 likes this.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Just pointing out facts

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    That should make everyone happy again.

Edit: sorry if I came off a lil testy. No sleep, and coffe isnt made yet....
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You have pointed out why I'm so disappointed in the U.S Carriers/Industry over the last few years. It's not seen as lying however misleading would be a good way to put it. I see 4G Ads on TV everyday multiple times and consumers run out buying these 4G devices.

We don't have 4G anywhere in the entire State. Does anyone else see an issue? Where do we draw the line?
    I run into people everyday and show me their new 4G device and I ask them how they like it? The tell me they love it and it's FAST due to 4G.

The look on their face is priceless when I tell them we don't have 4G.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    At least here there is no 4G yet. We are expecting it this first quarter. The genuine 4G. The control of the final product and it's performance will be closely monitored and it hasto supplant HSPDA. I know the carriers are running certification testing at this moment. And they can't sell the product until its certified. They're all advertising like crazy, but no sales...

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    what will happen is the first carrier(s) to reach actual 4g will "Switch to us we are the only ones with REAL 4G" The main problem is because of the carriers. The common nomenclature for the speeds that our phones go is known to everyone as 4G. It sounds better than saying 3.5G speeds. So as a result it loses meaning when used out of context. They will need a new catchy name that they can use in place of 4G when it actually comes out because the example I started with wont make people understand. They will just think that carrier is trying to brag. Not only that but nothing stops them from saying "this new 4G speed requires a higher priced data plan than the one you're on" even though its the same speed. For the now the way things are 4G basically will mean to John Q Public, anything faster than 3G speeds from 2010.

+ Reply to Thread