+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...SUNDAY-WRAP-UP... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SUNDAY WRAP-UP

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I had to laugh at this, although I do remember the terrible "smog" in London in the '50s caused by the coal burning reactors and coal fires in people's houses. This was more or less alleviated by the use of clean burning coal, and yes it does exist.

My question is how quickly can they replace the coal burning power stations, America does not want nuclear power, hydro electric dams cause all sorts of problems to the environment, wind power windmills kill birds are unsightly plus not very efficient. Solar farms can also cause problem better put them on people's roofs

Yes there are a lot of issues in this world, banning one thing without having an alternative plan is the worst thing a government can do. Build an alternative method to supply electricity for the grid, start investments in the states that rely on coal mining for jobs, build a public transport infrastructure to reduce people's reliance on cars, force factories to invest in new machinery to reduce pollution, invest in clean burning fuel

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    40% of our energy is already produced by windmills tucked away between hills and mountain tops. As far as the environmentalists go, they say birds aren't greatly affected since they know instinctively what to avoid. Smog probably kills more. As for aesthetics, its something I'll forgive for the need of a cleaner environment. I don't see people complaining about nuclear or thermal cooling towers, high power cables strewn across the country etc.
    Wind energy, and solar power is a sustainable source. We´re also developing wind and wave stations off shore, and that looks promising too. We already have a city (Povoa de Varzim - pop 100,00) that is sustained by this energy source.
    It obviously is counter productive for all the oil and coal business interests.
    Its time they go the way of the dinosaur.
    Last edited by Delfim; 07-01-2013 at 05:31 AM.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    This administration is going down as the worst in history. He's already F'ed up healthcare and now he's going after energy. Anyone who didn't see this coming was a blind idiot. Anyone who voted the second time for him is a complete fu!$ing moron.
    chokem likes this.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Agreed.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Delfim, while it is good to hear that your country is doing well on wind power, the US is slightly larger with many more people and a power grid that is on its last legs which badly needs upgrading. My point was put other power sources in place before getting rid of the main source of electricity in the US. The following is breakdown of energy generation electricity in the US - source Monthly Energy Review May 2013

• Coal 37%
    • Natural Gas 30%
    • Nuclear 19%
    • Hydropower 7%
    • Other Renewable 5%
      • Biomass 1.42%
      • Geothermal 0.41%
      • Solar 0.11%
      • Wind 3.46%

• Petroleum 1%
    • Other Gases < 1%

There are many people who object to windmills, including the Kennedys (at least when it was in their own backyard. Texas has multiple areas of wind power, the biggest problem is getting the energy from the wind farms to the areas that need (back to my comment on the grid)

Birds and wind turbines http://www.livescience.com/31995-how...ill-birds.html
    I will add that new designs are reducing this.

So as I stated earlier they need to make sure those who loose their jobs because it seems like a good idea are retrained, and new power sources are put in place. Also remember that a lot of the components in your lovely shiny smartphone, your computer, etc come from oil so the old dinosaur will not be disappearing any time soon!

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    I'll edit this. I know that there may be some here that voted for him. You should hang your head in shame if you did. There is absolutely nothing to be proud of.
    Last edited by BP41; 07-02-2013 at 07:36 AM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    For a poor EU country, things aren´t as bad as most think:

From thinkprogress.org:

Portugal’s electricity network operator announced that renewable energy supplied 70 percent of total consumption in the first quarter of this year. This increase was largely due to favorable weather conditions resulting in increased wind and water flow, as well as lower demand. Portuguese citizens are using less energy and using sources that never run out for the vast majority of what they do use.

• Hydropower supplied most: Hydroelectric power supplied 37 percent of total electricity — a 312 percent increase compared to last year.
    • Wind turbines broke a record: Wind energy represented 27 percent of the total share, which is 60 percent higher than last year. This is 37 percent above average and good for the highest amount generated by wind in Portugal, ever.
    • 2.3 percent less energy used: Energy consumption has fallen every year since 2010 and is now at 2006 levels. Some of the drop this quarter was due to fewer working days and a warmer winter, but even controlling for those factors, there was still a drop of .4 percent.
    • Not so much solar: Solar energy supplies only .7 percent of total energy demand, according to 2012 figures (Q1 2013 figures were not available for solar). This constitutes 225.5 MW in total photovoltaic capacity.
    • Dropping the fossil fuel habit: Portugal’s electricity had 29 percent less coal and 44 percent less gas in it from 2012 figures. The country must import the fossil fuels it burns.
    • For sale: Portugal exported what would have been 6 percent of total electricity consumption to other countries. It will also be able to sell a chunk of its allotted carbon credits offered by the EU’s carbon trading system.

The New York Times reported on Portugal’s renewable energy push that started in earnest in 2005:
    Five years ago, the leaders of this sun-scorched, wind-swept nation made a bet: To reduce Portugal’s dependence on imported fossil fuels, they embarked on an array of ambitious renewable energy projects — primarily harnessing the country’s wind and hydropower, but also its sunlight and ocean waves…. Nearly 45 percent of the electricity in Portugal’s grid will come from renewable sources this year, up from 17 percent just five years ago.

Since everything is calculated on a pro-rata/capita basis, then all the accumulated results are proportional. Being vast or small is taken care of automatically.

To note that EDP (Portuguese consortium) is supllying the tech to the US as far as wind power is concerned.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Delfim, this is exactly my point! It is not possible to ban something until there is a replacement in place. Portugal has done it right! The US however is far bigger with an antiquated infrastructure which can just about cope with today's demands. Already in a heat wave they start the brown outs. The grid needs to be upgraded but the money for it comes from the power companies charging the consumers so it doesn't get done, add to that individual states sell power to other states and make profit free market. While wind turbines work and are not overly expensive the grid to get the power from them to the consumer is. There is not an easy solution and while the US government squabbles along partisan lines about the rights and wrongs of global warming nothing gets done, and what does get done is undone in the next election because the bills are forced through rather than being passed by consensus. Until Americans take an interest in politics and hold their politicians accountable rather than voting along party lines the system will remain a mess. If a politician understands he does not have a job for life he might start working

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I don't believe it was stated that current energy sources would be banned before there was a alternative. What's wrong with the idea of moving towards alternative energy. We need to do it. I remember the coal stoves when I was little because it was part of my chores. I don't have a problem with it going away it's nasty, dirty, and just can't be go for the air, but gentlemen don't get me wrong it needs to be done right, and whoever does it will be a%^))(&(*%%() rotten bugger when it happens in some eyes.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I can't wait til Obama is out of office and everyone can start blaming the new guy, because it's hard to name a recent President that didn't screw someone or something up.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
    I'll edit this. I know that there may be some here that voted for him. You should hang your head in shame if you did. There is absolutely nothing to be proud of.
    Bummer, bro...

Your first post was classic bhp meltdown theater... I read it at five am this morning when i awoke.. started the day with a smile.

i lol'd hard

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I don't believe it was stated that current energy sources would be banned before there was a alternative. What's wrong with the idea of moving towards alternative energy. We need to do it. I remember the coal stoves when I was little because it was part of my chores. I don't have a problem with it going away it's nasty, dirty, and just can't be go for the air, but gentlemen don't get me wrong it needs to be done right, and whoever does it will be a%^))(&(*%%() rotten bugger when it happens in some eyes.
    I have absolutely no problem if the replacement is put in place first. This is my point, nothing has been done to upgrade the grid, no new nuclear power stations have been built or approved, the statement referred to stopping the use of coal, maybe this was specifically aimed at environmentalists. In my opinion America desperately needs to upgrade their grid, introduce more energy sources including natural gas which the coal power stations could be converted to.

We all have our leanings towards one party or another, but we should all want the best for America. No matter what you politics we should all question what went wrong in Benghazi, why the country is gathering all this information, why the IRS targeted political groups, and so on, without immediately becoming defensive for the President. The President and the attorney general should stand and get these things investigated and ensure it will not happen again.

For me this does not define left or right but it does define inexperience the fact that the first term campaign was based on open government and many of the other claims demonstrates that he likely believed that it was far easier to control congress than it actually was
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    With the diverse opinions and statements on various subjects one sees from the regulars and not so regulars on Pinstack imagine if we were able to meet and discuss in person!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast