+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...SUNDAY-WRAP-UP... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SUNDAY WRAP-UP

Advertisement

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    The NSA has been doing this for decades. Does anyone really think that they are listening to your conversations??

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    They may have been doing this for decades and governments have always been corrupt, but this was supposed to be an open government and everything was supposed to change, funny right, I didn't believe it either. The problem becomes that technology is continuing to improve and monitoring becomes simpler such that every word can be monitored. Turn a blind eye and say what does it matter at your peril. When people break into you house because of something that was said or not said maybe not today but maybe in the future.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    I was dicussing this with a friend yesterday. The way that they do this is keywords. President,bomb, etc etc. It's no different today vs yesterday. Plus, I don't see it as a bad thing. Too many loons out there that want to hurt many people at one time.

Yes, this kind of thing can get out of hand. That's why it's always good to have an opposition to these things. Even though I don't have an issue with it. You need to have that push back to keep things in check.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    It really depends on how it is used and if it is truly necessary. A government left or right will always find god reasons to monitor their citizens, it also provides an opportunity to watch and maybe neutralize the opposition party I have a problem with any format of monitoring although I understand some of the reasons.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    "They that would give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well put Glenn!
    When you give up any of your civil liberties you're giving someone or something else the right to abuse exactly what you've had until then.
    History has a tendency to repeat itself.
    It's time for despots to start ruling our minds.
    It's frightening.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    This has been going on for a long time. Doesn't mean we have to like or accept it. I'm sure our government does things we don't even realize that would make our skin crawl.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    "They that would give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin
    Quotes from our founding fathers shouldn't be taken lightly. They were very smart men. Thomas Jefferson is probably the greatest man to walk the earth. Having said that, the world has changed. There is a much greater threat from right here at home. It is the Governments job to provide security for its people. That is the purpose of this. Does anyone really think that the NSA are looking at every single word you say. So you think they have this secret lair where thousands of people are just listing or reading what you've said or text? No, even with the technology today. It's impossible. They're data mining. No different than what Google's doing. Like I said, opposition to things like this is needed. I just don't see it as a huge issue as some do.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I wish they did. I'd have a little fun with it...

I have to agree with BHP. I've always said I don't care because I'm not doing anything that would get me in trouble. I'm not spying, in cahoots with the devil man, so go ahead, look at my texts, who I call...whatever. Hell, prepare to be bored.

That being said there is a line...somewhere that can be crossed. I'm not sure where it is, but I'll know it when I see it. You can bet that I wouldn't just sit quietly.

Times are different than when the rich whit folk founded our country. There's more to worry about than a redcoat in the hen house. Terrorism is by definition a scary thing. Those dumbass mental health poster children don't read rule books, memorandums on polite killing, or pop up books on how to down planes with minimal heartbreak. They kill indiscriminately and with little warning. The few rules they follow they made up and have changed the nature of national defense. The big wigs played dumb and missed signs for so long, now they need to be drastic to be effective, if only a small percentage of the time.

So, Mr Jefferson, Mr. Obama, Mr. Next Idiot Who Wants To Be President, go ahead and see who I call. See who I text. We're good for now as long as you're effective and don't come into my household on a mandatory 2 way TV set. Start telling me what thoughts are OK, what words are OK, what nonsense is OK and put my family in danger...then we need to go out behind the wood shed.

*this was just a statement to the conversation. Anyone monitoring should know that I have no real intention of taking the President behind the wood shed.

We just pile up our wood.

Pretty high...could get lost in it...(insert Deliverance laugh here)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I need to be careful how I say this as I do not want to be on any watch list, I already get the occasional shakedown when traveling (I suspect due to my surname) however I cannot be sure. Lets look at the whole thing from a person outside of the US point of view and add to it the vast improvement in technology that has happened over the years. For example 3 years ago monitoring every phone conversation or even storing them all would be well nigh impossible, I don't think they could employ enough people to do it, today with advancements in storage capability, software algorithms etc, it is possible to have a computer which could search conversations for certain keywords and then latch onto them. Of course for your average person no problem today, plus when you add the bureaucracy in the government it adds another line of safety, but lets say 5 years down the road when they think we want to weaken the opposition to our policies, could they monitor and arrest people or may perform tax audits on them??? One wanders?

Now lets address the problem of terrorism, to me this is something truly despicable, attacking innocent people to get ones point across, something similar to what the IRA were doing in the UK a few years back, that certain people in the US were supporting, because they felt the UK were in the wrong. Terrorism is never right, but I am sure that those committing these atrocious acts justify it to themselves, otherwise why or how would they be able to do the things they do? (the answer one often reads is because they are evil, which is one of the most dumb answers out there). There is no polite way of waging war anymore, stopping for lunch breaks ended in the 18th century, story books never show the horror that is endured by those affected. We also have to remember that those committing these acts are most definitely the minority, and we must not and cannot paint a group of people with the same brush

As citizens of the US, UK, Europe or wherever we should all maintain a healthy interest in the world around us, the decisions our politicians make on our behalf, the wars we go into and the reasons they happen, the drones that are deployed and the damage they do, rather than sitting back and believing everything that is put out on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, PBS CBS etc, remember we are only informed by these channels what they want to tell us, what they thing will sell advertising and motivate their base. So before you go out and vote for your representative make sure you understand what their agenda is, do not vote for them because your father did, or because they are supported by the party you follow, because the only true way to protect you freedom, liberties, and way of life is to use intelligence when you vote for your government.

I have had my rant. Lets all vote sensibly and choose peace and prosperity

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well said, Dave.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I reiterate my concern for being careful. Just like Dave.
    Remembering my hectic days in RSA, my activities during college, I wonder what side of the spectrum the definition of terrorism would fall... we were branded as such by the majority of the white folk. Much like the Portuguese, the Belgians, the Fench in colonial Africa, that considered the freedom fighters as terrorists (The actual noun and its apllication derived from the Portuguese experience in Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau). Rhodesia (today Zimbabwe) is also an example.
    Today these countries (indepedent and run by what the US, the UK and many others once considered terrorist leaders) are the masters, much to the disgrace of other terrorists which quickly retreat to the bush and carry on fighting against the former...terrorists.
    In the meantime the US, the UK and the big guns are supportive of these governments, until they get overrun by terrorists which become the new government, and again the US and the UK and the big guns go along and recognize them anyway. Terrorists? Who said that?
    Very confusing isn´t it?
    It all depends on interests. Gold, oil or any other strategic necessity at the time.
    Don´t misunderstand me. Any terrorist action that targets the innocent is deplorable. Condemnable. Cowardly. It needs to be controlled, condemned and exterminated.
    So, I advocate: Go and try and control these groups. Protect your people. It's your duty.
    But, don´t ever control your own people. People will control. Thats the rights they fought for. There will always be checks and balances.
    They tried to control us in RSA.
    It´s that these same people, the ones that they tried to control via strictly monitored press and TV, censorship, will one day, regardless, take control. Against all odds.
    It´s called democracy. And it´s worth fighting for.
    Last edited by Delfim; 06-10-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    There is a lot of truth in the statement that history is written by those who win the war. When will people learn to change the world by using their democratic right to vote and use that vote to control their elected representative. Money is currently the main interest of the majority in government so money talks.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

+ Reply to Thread