+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Capdot

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...SUNDAY-WRAP-UP... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SUNDAY WRAP-UP: Inside Apple, But Not Far Enough...

Advertisement

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Siri, introduced as a beta product, has proven all but unusable to me. It’s cool to have, but the best thing I can reliably do with it is set an alarm for myself. I am not sure I need a personal assistant for that. When Siri first came out as an app, several years ago, Robert Scoble got me to try it, and I drew the same conclusion. I could (maybe) make a dinner reservation. But most of the time I had the same problem with it that I had with IBM VoiceType Dictation fifteen years earlier; training it to my voice is a barrier I will probably never cross. I will find a workaround first.
    This dame prolly talks into her phone like a mumbling jerk. I don't have the new iPhone, but im sure I would get it to work because I know how to enunciate properly. This of course is my opinion so you can take it or leave it. But then again I saw no use for siri so I didn't buy the new iPhone. See how that works?

iMessages, which I downloaded the day it came out, is another beta product, and one I am not sure I need. If it doesn’t really integrate all my IM lists, it’s not useful to me, and I am pretty far into GTalk at this point.
    I never needed any other messaging app when I had a Blackberry, but saying all other messaging apps are useless because you found one that works for you is egotistical and dumb. This woman is both. iMessage works for me with other people I know that have iPods and iPhones. We get a kick out of it, but since this lady has noo need for it, Apple has lost it's ways since they provided another option.

iCLoud seems to be similarly late, although I own enough Apple products and devices (four in a one-person household) to reserve judgment. How many places can hold my music? It’s already on Google and Amazon, in iTunes and most of it is on Spotify.
    Doesn't this lady know that none of these apps back up your phone data? Maybe she's talking about iTunes Match.

And Mountain Lion itself, although I haven’t yet tried it, doesn’t sound earth shattering for me either. Yes, Airplay on the Mac sounds like a good thing in principle, but tell me how many devices I need to send Netflix to a TV. I already have Apple TV and an iPad.
    Not every update is going to bring "earth shattering" changes. Updates bring improvements, bug fixes and other little things. This lady has Apple TV and an iPad so she thinks that any other device that brings Netflix to your Tv is a waste. Not everyone has Apple TV and an iPad, but this girl thinks that since she has the means to stream Netflix no other options should be available. I thought I was narcissistic, but this lady takes the cake, then decides she doesn't need cake cause she had a candybar and then says all cake is "similary late"

And then there are the textbooks. Everyone agrees that textbooks should be digital. But I’m on a bunch of educational technology social streams right now, and the teachers are a bit angry that IPad apps and iPad texts are the only future. The teachers I speak to don’t want their students (or themselves) to be forced to give up what they have now for another, potentially expensive, device. And schools are broke, governments unwilling to fund them further. We don’t even have to get into issues with publishers to see the stumbling blocks.
    As far as I know the future of texbooks isn't just going to be Apple. Who said that Apple was going to be the only one? Who said that Google, Amazon or someone else cant get into it? Apple may have made the biggest splash on releasing digital textbooks, but that doesn't mean they are going to be the only option.

The Jobs reality distortion field was incredibly important to Apple. Or perhaps it was his leadership that was important. Either way, things have already changed.
    The only thing distorted is the thinking that this woman should keep writing articles. Shes so above the reality distortion field that she went out and bought an Apple TV and an iPad.
    catstide and BHP77 like this.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Double post

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I find that 90% of the articles from Business insider are of this level. No matter what platform their talking about. It's a joke of a publication as far as I'm concerned and they are so far off base on "Business" its not even worth your time to read anything from them.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The fact that the article is an opinion, controversial as it maybe, makes for interesting reading and provokes debate. That's the objective.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The Apple in the Article post is distorted and squished.
    Last edited by srl7741; 02-20-2012 at 12:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread