+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richmo58

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...e-Android-Road... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SUNDAY-READER: A New Fork In The Android Road?

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Eh, vanilla please.

I have little use for a over done version of android. I like bare bones. I like the lower CPU and memory overhead. I like the lack of eye candy and pure functionality.

I had sense 3.0 and touchwiz on my last 2 devices. Hated it although I thought touchwiz was the least offensive once a launcher was used.

Fork em if you wanna, but leave the ability to install something else. That is perhaps the #1 reason I prefer android. My phone is MINE. I can change anything and nearly everything. Control is something we are losing day to day...nice to have something that looks and feels like mine.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I've been refusing to buy some of the latest Samsung devices BECAUSE of the damn touchwiz interface...its terrible.

If the note or galaxy s3 came with a clean OS i would've purchased one already.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I feel that way about sense. I think TW is the least offensive, but get others don't.

Honestly believe that from now on vanilla is it. Of course I wont upgrade for quite awhile.

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I look at this from a developer's perspective. To me, if I write an Android application, using standard (Google) API's, I expect that app to work on any Android device, as long as the app isn't trying to use something the device isn't capable of. (For example, if an app tries to use the phone dialer on a tablet, it isn't going to meet with success). If the device manufacturers, in their customization of Android for their devices, break that expectation, then we have real fragmentation, and that would be a huge problem.

I have no problem with the manufacturers adding capabilities to Android for their devices...such as TouchWiz, etc. In a lot of ways, these are what makes the different devices unique. As a user, how we like or dislike these add-ons help to determine which device we will purchase. Presumably the manufacturers allow development using these capabilities and expose the API's for new apps. As soon as we incorporate a manufacturers API into an app (like com.samsung.... or whatever they call it), the app will no longer work on all devices, but will be customized to that device.

As long as generic Android apps work everywhere, all should be good.
    jfcooley likes this.

+ Reply to Thread