+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...f-Data-Storage... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SUNDAY READER: Goodbye Silicon, Hello DNA. The Future of Data Stor

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    This is definitely not new. I remember when I was 15 being what would be termed today as a Nerd reading an article about using DNA and RNA for storage which was 45 years ago and thinking then why would we need so much storage talk of tera-bytes would not be understood, there were no PC's around then. At the same time I went to a lecture in London where they stated we would be able to talk to computers in a few years time (took much longer than predicted and is still not really there) add to that a lecture which stated the computer scientists of today would be the tea boys of tomorrow where they thought that computers of the future would not require programming, this they assumed would be the case by 1985 again incorrect. Of course scientists also stated oil would run out of oil by the year 2000. So will we have storage on DNA in the near future I would say doubtful, the need for development is not there yet as storage capabilities of today keep increasing. There is far more important work to be performed on DNA to do with our health, genetic diseases, why we age (how the ends of the strings do not regenerate), rather than coming up with a way to store my family pictures.

Good article though and I did wonder what had happened to the idea, probably the scientist working on it in the UK and moved to the US for more money

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Heck, when I was 15 the only DNA´s I knew were female and nominative: Diane, Natalie and Angelina...

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    LOL as I said Delfim I was a Nerd probably still am, members of the opposite sexy used to look at me as a friend not a potential date!

+ Reply to Thread