+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Capdot
  • 2 Post By dushdavj
  • 2 Post By richmo58
  • 2 Post By Capdot
  • 1 Post By dushdavj
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-SUNDAY-READER... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SUNDAY READER: Apple vs. Samsung and How Innovation Suffers

Advertisement

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Innovation stops when creativity dies.
    RogerG likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I will take your comment a step further Cap, innovation and creativity stops when lawyers get involved. How many times will companies squash an idea for fear that they may be treading on someone else's patent/copywrite? How much innovation has been slowed, delayed or even been stopped because money has been diverted into a court case? No I am not upset by Apple winning the majority of points nor am I upset that rounded corners or staircases can be patented that is a problem with the patent Office, I am upset by the millions of dollars wasted on court cases worldwide, if these companies have money to waste why not use it for good, help those who are starving, building hospitals, helping people? Where did we all lose our way, why are we all so supportive of our favorite companies two of the richest companies in the world?
    RogerG and chokem like this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have to agree that these lawsuits have the potential to limit innovation. In the end, it isn't Apple or Samsung that suffers, its the consumer. When it comes to iOS and Android, there are certainly two camps with strong opinions on which is better, etc. At a higher level, yes, iOS and Android have more similarities than differences. but the beauty of it is each pushes the other to higher levels. From an iOS point of view, if there was no Android, would we have as good an iOS as we have today? No way. Same in reverse: with no iOS, the Android devices we enjoy today would be nowhere near what they are. Competition drives innovation. Of course, outright stealing is wrong, but I'd love to see Apple and Samsung stop their pi$$ing contest and use those resources for innovation, so WE get the benefits.

Dush, no.

When did the mentality of human beings change? All of a sudden we heed to road blocks? I thought the idea was to create a path if one wasn't there?

If companies squash ideas because their lawyers can't read a patent, get new lawyers. If your engineers can't come up with new ideas and work around, pay licensing fees or hire new talent. You only hurt consumers by putting out garbage. If you cant do it, consumers will flock to someone else who can. There still is a choice out there, isn't there?

Take android for example. Many root and rom because someone else wrote something that performs better than what was provided to them. Did these people just roll over and take it? No, they got creative and did it themselves. Same with iphones and and jail breaking.

If Samsung rolls over and never releases an innovative product again, it's not because of Apple its because they lacked the balls and brains.

Oh, about those rounded corners, pinch to zoom, and icons... Tough sh*t. It's theirs now. Let's not cry foul too long.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Very good points made by all posters.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well I am was not really speaking on which company was right or wrong, and I am sure that this is not over yet, since if you read through the judgement set by the jury, and the instructions provided to them you will see that there are enough inconsistencies for Samsung to either get a retrial, or be able to appeal the judgement, certainly they can stop the amount of damages issued, providing of the American system is fair and balanced which I like to believe it is. Here I stress I am not talking about who is right or who is wrong just that the jury did not fully do their job, the judgement may not change, but it should be done correctly. For example the jury used the fine to punish Samsung when they were strictly instructed to compensate for lost revenue, not punish, another instance they fine $2 million dollars for a device that did not infringe the patent so this was removed, there are many more instances like this in the judgement. Now because of this Samsung is likely to get this judgement thrown out, or at the very least it will go further, so until finally settled it will continue. As an aside this is where the system can go on for years, without a final result, one of the most high profile cases was a trial against the tobacco industry, the case was so long and drawn out with so many appeals and counter appeals that some of those that were meant to benefit from it died before a resolution was found but the lawyers got very rich.

with regards to Apple owning rounded corners, almost like saying Daimler owns a wheel on each corner of a car, jolly fine, it isn't going to rock my world, it is just an example of pointless patents, that's all. Apple has come up with some brilliant innovative ideas, even those they have borrowed they improved upon, I just feel that they have lost their way, it's like children in a playground fighting over a petty issue. They feel they would have earned more money if Samsung or Android or whoever had not copied them, how much money do they need, they already have far more than they can ever uses? It would be like RIM saying if there were no other phones they would be number 1. Sorry but I for one think that even if Apple had all it's patents so strongly tied up and everyone had not copied or used them, they would still not have tied up the smartphone market any more than they already have. The really funny side of this is the items that they are trying to ban are already 2 years out of date, this is what makes the whole thing such a waste of money.

All the time I keep coming back to the number of unemployed in America, the number of people needing healthcare, the number of diseases that need cures to be found, the number of people starving to death in Africa, and it then seems to be such an insignificant thing to be fighting over. The answer to it all is pride and greed on both sides.

This comment is not about Apple nor is it about Samsung it is about the futility of our world today. You can quote President Obama with his comment "You didn't build that" in the sense that the IPhone, the IPad and all of Samsung's phones would be nothing without the invention of the touch screen, or the cell towers, or 3G or 4G or the internet, need I go on. We use things, companies use things, we innovate, we find new ways to make things attractive and people buy.
    Delfim likes this.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks Dave.
    dushdavj likes this.

I like your posts, Dush. I like it so much Im going to steal a part of it; "Lets take it further" The save the world part of your post is something I very much agree with, but why bring it up now? Why weren't we passionately telling RIM and Nokia five years ago to throw some money at the "Save The World Fund" when they were at the top? Why are we whining about innovation coming to an end? Maybe we should stop spending money on innovation, towers, widgets, add free Angry Birds and divert all those millions to feed the homeless. I say if you're going to complain about money wasted on this crap and that it should go somewhere else, you should be the first person to make a change and not buy a phone for the next 4 years and give that money to charity. Saving the world starts with you and me. Yes, Mr. Dush. Once again I agree with you.

But wait a minute... That wont work.

If you stop spending money on innovation you may end up like RIM. You will have to lay off employees and people will call you losers, and cry about the lack of apps. They will call for the CEO's head on a stick and demand you to feed them better product. You give them a better product, and you start making billions but the consumers end up mad again because you have too much money and your evil... We are all pigs.

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ Great comment and very true. The thing is I am not suggesting that they stop spending on research and development, I am saying to stop spending so much on the courts and the legal system and in my opinion wasting the courts time. If I had a forum to comment on this 5 years ago I would have to RIM and Nokia, even though they were not waiting money on legal battles nor did they have so much cash available. Remember I am not criticizing Apple or Samsung for their innovation, (and don't say Samsung doesn't innovate) where do the touch screens come from?

I personally have not replaced my phone for over 2 years and the one before that I used till it would not work anymore, plus a portion of my money does go to those that need it. So yes I agree with your comments companies need to innovate, but they also need to mindful of who buys their products, if there was only one company because it shut everyone else out with its patents see how long it would continue releasing new products and how much more you would be paying for them.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I might add that the apps are there because developers are attracted to work on the platform, which is circular since more apps mean more customers and more customers mean more apps, but it has nothing to do with the patent issues, it just makes you want to use the particular device you are using, and in a way ties you to it if you have spent a lot of money on Apps you don't want to change. Add that to the fact that it earns a lot of money through ITunes or GooglePlay for Apple and Google.

I would prefer to pay the company that builds the app, I don't see why the owner of the OS should make money from it, Microsoft and Linux don't make money from people that sell software that works on their OS, but that is the way that Apple had extremely good business sense and probably makes them most of their money. Any way this is digressing from my initial point and is only my opinion which is pretty worthless since I have no way of changing things.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

+ Reply to Thread