+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-His-Biography... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator

Article: Steve Jobs Quotes From His Biography

papareyenc no está en línea Stack level 3
    "A great carpenter isn’t going to use lousy wood for the back of a cabinet, even though nobody’s going to see it."Big Idea.Thank you.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    This I found interesting in the book, and slightly relevant to patent cases and some things he said about others ideas. From the book, chapter 11

" Another key aspect of Jobs’s worldview was his binary way of categorizing things. People were either “enlightened” or “an ***-hole.” Their work was either “the best” or “totally shitty.” Bill Atkinson, the Mac designer who fell on the good side of these dichotom-ies, described what it was like:  

It was difficult working under Steve, because there was a great polarity between gods and shitheads. If you were a god, you were up on a pedestal and could do no wrong. Those of us who were considered to be gods, as I was, knew that we were actually mortal and made bad engineering decisions and farted like any person, so we were always afraid that we would get knocked off our pedestal. The ones who were shitheads, who were brilliant engineers working very hard, felt there was no way they could get appr-eciated and rise above their status.**  

But these categories were not immutable, for Jobs could rapidly reverse himself. When briefing Hertzfeld about the reality dist-ortion field, Tribble specifically warned him about Jobs’s tendency to resemble high-voltage alternating current. “Just because he tells you that something is awful or great, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll feel that way tomorrow,” Tribble explained. “If you tell hima new idea, he’ll usually tell you that he thinks it’s stupid. But then, if he actually likes it, exactly one week later, he’ll come back to you and propose your idea to you, as if he thought of it.”  

The audacity of this pirouette technique would have dazzled Diaghilev. “If one line of argument failed to persuade, he would deftly switch to another,” Hertzfeld said. “Sometimes, he would throw you off balance by suddenly adopting your position as his own, without acknowledging that he ever thought differently.” That happened repeatedly to Bruce Horn, the programmer who, with Tesler, hadbeen lured from Xerox PARC. “One week I’d tell him about an idea that I had, and he would say it was crazy,” recalled Horn. “The next week, he’d come and say, ‘Hey I have this great idea’—and it would be my idea! You’d call him on it and say, ‘Steve, I told you that a week ago,’ and he’d say, ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah’ and just move right along.”

Edit: this wasn't posted as an attack on an intelligent man. I just wanted to show another side of his professional personality. I don't know if this trait explains any of the willingness to litigate, but thought it would encourage discussion. IPhone owners, not attacking you guys.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 10-27-2011 at 09:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread