+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...len-Good-Luck!... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Sony to PS3, PSP Owners: Your Credit Card Info May Have Been Stole

Advertisement

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    I didnt realize that my ps3 was a smartphone now ;-D jk del

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ it's smarter! lol

Drasadex no está en línea Stack level 3
    Man, I've been reading a lot of articles like this, and it sucks that some hacker (or hackers) got into Sony's servers and completely screwed over 77 million users. I'm glad I never input a credit card on my account....

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Honestly I wouldnt be at all surprised if this turned out to be corporate espionage. Xbox live has the majority of their users pay for service while only a small percentage pay anything on PSN.

PSN was compromised and to prevent further damage sony shut down their network themselves to rebuild their network security, in an attempt to prevent this from happening again. But in this world things of this nature arent that out of the ordinary. I wonder how many times xbox live has actually been compromised but they didnt tell anyone? Or Walmart? Things like this dont get publicized very often just like banks dont tell the papers when they get robbed, its usually bad for business but this stuff still happens, its a little naive to say "Im glad I never input a CC on my account" If you have ever used a credit card or bank card anywhere for anything you are still at the same risk. All it takes is someone talented enough and dedicated enough and your info is theirs.

Identity theft happens all the time, and a good amount of it comes from techniques like this, the rest come from social engineering and outright robbery. Im happy that Sony at least gave their users a heads up. Most victims dont even get a warning about it till it happens.

The only difference here is that it happened to a major company. And that the info about it was made public by the company, it would seriously shake people if somehow they were privy to all the times incidents like this happen, but even if the cc info was stolen, all it is, is a pain in the butt, this isnt the early days of credit cards where people are responsible for fraudulent charges on their accounts. This situation sux but its not as catastrophic as MS and the media are trying to make it.

Does the industry need to be reformed ,yes.
    Even if they do will there still be a risk, yes.
    Is this risk the price for living in the modern world yes.

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Update: Check this out

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/04/xb...en-to-attacks/

stuff like this happens more often than we would be comfortable with.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    My Son-in-law received an e-mail from Sony saying his account is ok, he does have a CC registered with them. I told him to get with the CC issuer explain the situation and ask for a new card and number, making sure that they freeze the old account, better to be safe than sorry. This is like having your wallet stolen, with the number of accounts comprimised it is likely to take a while till the hackers get round to using them. Maybe it is time for the CC issuers to provide a different number for each online transaction which only lasts 24 hours, I used to use this capability with AMEX, not sure if they still do it. We have to all be more aware of what we provide over the internet.

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    My Son-in-law received an e-mail from Sony saying his account is ok, he does have a CC registered with them. I told him to get with the CC issuer explain the situation and ask for a new card and number, making sure that they freeze the old account, better to be safe than sorry. This is like having your wallet stolen, with the number of accounts comprimised it is likely to take a while till the hackers get round to using them. Maybe it is time for the CC issuers to provide a different number for each online transaction which only lasts 24 hours, I used to use this capability with AMEX, not sure if they still do it. We have to all be more aware of what we provide over the internet.
    Paypal had a beta service that I was a part of for a while that did just that, you would get a new cc number for each transaction u did using your paypal business bank card. I thought it was a wonderful service I felt so much more secure. There are other steps too like the Verified by visa system hat help a bit.

And as far as the cc info with the psn service I think it would be better to just get the card reissued if you dont want to go thru the hassle of possible Ident theft. in the future. I get a new card issued about every year just in case, mainly because I do alot of transactions online. i dont go to risky sites to buy my stuff but you never know when an employee at a reputable place might get pissed with his job and try to steal a bunch of past customers account info.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    Paypal had a beta service that I was a part of for a while that did just that, you would get a new cc number for each transaction u did using your paypal business bank card. I thought it was a wonderful service I felt so much more secure. There are other steps too like the Verified by visa system hat help a bit.

And as far as the cc info with the psn service I think it would be better to just get the card reissued if you dont want to go thru the hassle of possible Ident theft. in the future. I get a new card issued about every year just in case, mainly because I do alot of transactions online. i dont go to risky sites to buy my stuff but you never know when an employee at a reputable place might get pissed with his job and try to steal a bunch of past customers account info.
    Very wise decision, it may annoy the credit card issuers especially as it costs them money to send out new cards, but it does provide an extra layer between you and identity theft. With PayPal I use the secondary identity key when to login but it would not stop the hacker that breaks into the site. I still hope that it will be possible to have a new card number for each online transaction. Companies that provide online services must be more careful with their security!!

+ Reply to Thread