+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...getting-bigger... Smartphone News forum

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more

Article: Smartphone screens are getting bigger

Advertisement

Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    From what I remember when Apple came out with their first IPhone the screen was considered to be large for a phone, not as big as some PDA's but for phone it was big! The trouble is over the years larger has become more popular, (better battery life has been important here since the bigger and brighter the screen the more power is required). Projection capabilities are another interesting side to screen size, but you would have to have a wall available. Then privacy may also be an issue, the bigger the screen the more likely someone will be looking over your shoulder. I think the Apples screen is a pretty good size, or more to the point the phone is a reasonable size to use, so maybe if they do want to enlarge it, then remove the frame take the screen closer to the edges and make the phone that bit larger.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Larger screens will be the demanding factor. It already is. And it's worth it. The phobia created by some media about the Galaxy Note is exaggerated. I have one and it's bliss. The size does not matter. It's just the case of getting used to it. And then all others become too small ... Admittedly the better size will be close to what HTC has now 4.7 or even 4.8. With LCD high resolution, or Amoled it's a fabulous screen. The Note has very good battery power, so the size of the screen does help to conceive a bigger power pack.In the future we'll be commenting on the small size of the iPhone screen and how we managed to work with it.I'm sure Apple will go minimum 4.2. I wouldnt be surprised with with 4.5 at least.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Next-gen iPhone will HAVE to have at LEAST a 4" screen to make people happy, myself included.

My next upgrade is this month, so it's gonna be a looooong wait until October to see what RIM and Apple come up with. Not to say, I won't meander into an AT&T store to have a closer look at the SIII.

PIN/ID
    no more
    I think the advantage of a larger screen is being able to type easily in portrait mode. I cannot type on an iPhone unless I switch to landscape mode. I do not have huge hands. I would say 4.2 - 4.6" would be about the right size, though, for both landscape and portrait mode typing. The Note is not too big for me to type in portrait mode, but it is hard to type on in landscape mode.
    Laura

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm torn on screen size. I don't mind the current size but if it's larger in the future I sure hope it's as easy on my eyes. I see advantages to a slightly larger screen but I'm not interested in carrying a pancake either.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I'm torn on screen size. I don't mind the current size but if it's larger in the future I sure hope it's as easy on my eyes. I see advantages to a slightly larger screen but I'm not interested in carrying a pancake either.
    I find larger screens easier to read. Yes, one can pinch to zoom if he has a device with a smaller screen. However, pinch to zoom is not necessary if the device has a larger screen.
    Laura

I didn't think I cared too much about larger screens until now that I'm getting used to the new Playbook I bought. The 7" screen is a lot easier to look at than the 2.44" on the Bold. I can't type portrait mode because my hands are too large, but after only one full day of ownership I can already type faster on the Playbook in landscape than the Bold physical keyboard. Having a larger screen makes a lot of difference when I didn't think it would. Pictures are awesome. Even if iPhone goes to a 4"+ it will seem small now that I'm getting used to 7

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I didn't think I cared too much about larger screens until now that I'm getting used to the new Playbook I bought. The 7" screen is a lot easier to look at than the 2.44" on the Bold. I can't type portrait mode because my hands are too large, but after only one full day of ownership I can already type faster on the Playbook in landscape than the Bold physical keyboard. Having a larger screen makes a lot of difference when I didn't think it would. Pictures are awesome. Even if iPhone goes to a 4"+ it will seem small now that I'm getting used to 7
    Oh, really ?
    Now you know how I feel about the Note.
    dushdavj likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Oh, really ?
    Now you know how I feel about the Note.
    At our age it compensates for the long arm syndrome, my arms seem to be getting shorter since I used to be able to hold the book I am reading and be able to focus, now that doesn't work anymore. Thankfully they have multi-focal contacts
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

+ Reply to Thread