+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...laxy-F’-phones... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Article: Samsung reportedly plans ‘premium’ line of metal ‘Galaxy F’ phones

Advertisement

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can't please everyone...LOL. I do think there's something to be said for something that's "high end" or "premium" -- being made out of plastic, to the point where it appears "flimsy" or "cheap" or "not durable" and so on. There will always be perception(s) and the question of quality and value. It's even more important when you are in the high end or premium marketplace.

I remember back in the day of the flip phones (yes, I still have one and use it daily, LOL). Nokia was a pretty major player. But there higher end phones weren't selling well. They came out with a sleeker, more modern, and yes a high end, premium looking phone -- and it was made out of metal, as opposed to their others which were plastic -- and it initially did very well. Maybe norm, maybe exception, I don't know.

I was suprised to see that Samsung moved to the top of the class.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Samsung is using the plastic material so they can keep the cost to manufacture there devices down, and sell them at a premium price. Now that HTC moved to full metal body, they have to do something in order to remain top dog. If HTC decide to make a 5" One like device with an impressive camera, and a Note like device; samsung will be losing a lot of their lunch money to HTC.

Galaxy F: will the F stands for Fancy or fake. Either way they sparked my interest.

Sammies are top-notch devices, but their plastic battery covers are definitely flimsy. I always feel like I'm gonna break it when I remove it from my Note. I solved that problem by purchasing a couple of brushed metal battery covers.

There is definitely something to be said for the solid feel of an all-metal device like an iPhone or HTC One. Just finished restoring my daughters iPhone and love the feel of it in the hand, even though it's dwarfed by my Note 2 sitting next to it. lol

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I guess I would have to feel the difference and as far as the back cover, I don't remove mine enough to even worry about it. Not sure why I would need to. Don't need to do battery pulls, and after inserting the battery, sim, and Micro SD Card, I haven't taken the cover off since.

Not sure what this will mean weight wise for the device, but agree Samsung will need to stay competitive in the market place

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    LG did a good job with glass on the Nexus 4. Flimsy but classy...it's not so much a question of the material that is used, but the way it's finished off. Case in point, the Nokia Lumia, except for the 925. They're all plastic, but it's good high-end plastic. Sammy on the hand can´t help it but use plastic, but they don't know how to show it off.
    It feels cheap because their design perceptive is cheap. Like the Japs in the ´70s and '80s...

Absolutely, it has to do with quality, finish, coating, and so on. Plastic doesn't have to be flimsy or cheap.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Metal = non-removable battery/SD cards.
    No thanks.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I would have to agree, I don't care what the material is but removable is a must

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Funnily that's not a concern for me anymore. In actual fact it's quite the contrary. I don't mind just 16Gb on board. The rest I dl or upload directly to my cloud accounts and when I need whatever I just acces it. Much easier, I think, and especially now with LTE at between 80Mbps to 100Mbps. Cards have become redundant.
    I'm using a S4. No card.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Del I'm really the same way I don't put anything on my card although I do have one. I dump everything to my laptop via Dropbox which is 56gb and only 7 is used so far

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Yeah, well I use sprint. Nuff said....

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Metal = non-removable battery/SD cards.
    No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I would have to agree, I don't care what the material is but removable is a must
    Agreed. I didn't think metal automatically meant non-removable, but regardless, removable is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Del I'm really the same way I don't put anything on my card although I do have one. I dump everything to my laptop via Dropbox which is 56gb and only 7 is used so far
    That's interesting. Sorry for being so naive (and a tech idiot, LOL), but you can explain how that works? You take pics, videos, etc. from your BB device and you dump it to your laptop? Via dropbox? So do you have access to these things on the device? Thank you in advance.

On some devices you can set up the camera to automatically send the pictures to the cloud. I know DropBox does this. I use Bitcasa and it does it. And most of the cloud companies have a web or desktop app to keep things in sync.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast