+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By dushdavj
  • 1 Post By jfcooley
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...FORMANCE-TESTS... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: SAMSUNG GALAXY S 4 CRUSHES IPHONE 5, OTHER LEADING PHONES IN EARLY

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    With the exception of the One, it should be faster. All those devices are older and/or have slower CPUs.

Kind of a "duh" comparison.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah, but it´s the competition the S4 has. Quite poor! This is the doldrums...

Well I was on the phone with sprint today and (money permitting) we may be able to upgrade in may.

Hmmm, wonder what we will choose?
    RogerG likes this.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    why dose USA always get the less powerful phones ? the international version has a octo core.

I'm not so sure the I to is much more powerful. More efficient, but maybe not more powerful.

All 8 cores don't run together. Can't remember each spec but the highest run under heavy loads and the smaller under small or mid-size loads.

I'm sure there will be kernels that will modify the steps for each.

Keep in mind that stock S3 kernels keep a CPU core offline until needed. This is modified by some customs.

Just like the Evo 3D has kernels that mod the same behavior. Unless your playing games or benching then I see little gain when keeping both online.
    chokem likes this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I ask a question "so what?" ....What is this telling us that the Samsung has a fast processing capabilitiy, well Duh! Look at the specs isn't that obvious? The point is though faster processor bigger screen higher graphics which will of course need a faster processor, bigger battery, running hotter. The question is where does it end. Anyone that worked on the early PC's where a 20 MB hard disk was enormous is fully aware the when disk space was expensive programmers needed to work hard to make things efficient, as disk space became cheap, memory became cheap, processors became faster the programmers worked less at efficiency and instead pushed the limits on features graphics etc. This is becoming the case with smart phones, limits are being pushed to get the fastest phone out there to run the code that works on PC's and there is no longer a requirement to make the code more efficient. Transmitting enormous packets of data is not a problem because of the new network speeds (wait till you the carriers hit you with the bill).

So yes it is great to talk performance and to see the graphs but you can liken it to the guy that buys the Ferrari and drives it on the roads with their 60 mph speed limits, does he get there any faster than the guy in the smart car? Yes he has all the performance but can he use it?

So the Galaxy is way faster, but how much quicker can you get the normal tasks done than say the person using the S3, the IPhone 5 or BB Z10? Maybe you can run some game with super graphics at breakneck speeds which is jolly good if thats what you want as you sit on the train commuting to work. For me whilst I am flying around from country to country I need access to a phone, to e-mail, to some sort of internet for information and to a battery that will last and not die on me during a call, plus that is a size that fits in my pocket. Am I the normal user maybe not, but is the guy wanting that super duper performance the normal user probably not either, but the person that buys it because of the articles like this but will never use the power probably is. Just my opinion
    jfcooley likes this.

Dave, I liked your post, a lot.

But you know I'm the guy who wants to go fast.
    Its an illness. However secretly I'm getting a little tired of it.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm gonna be a little wayward here. For me, it's not the speed, the power graphics and the Samson capabilities.
    What struck me more about the article is that's its the first time that Business Insider says the iPhone isn't fast, has less power and is weaker. That's astounding.
    But Dave, you're right of course. Just let us nuts have the latest, greatest, fastest technical sturdy plastic and poly-bicarbonate wrapped smartphone around.
    Just for a while until the next Sams(on)ung pops up. Don't Delilah us.
    dushdavj likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Correction: it's BGR. But Business Insider is doing the same. Sorry for the confusion.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    A few years back I would also have wanted the latest and greatest, but then latest and greatest lasted a year or so, now it's only a week.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Gets worse when you start flashing. Then its the latest ROM.
    I flashed touchwiz last night and stuck with it for 2 hours. Missed the speed of AOSP and went back.

Think I need a dumbphone.

+ Reply to Thread