+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfim

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...s-The-iPhone-5... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: The Samsung Galaxy S 4 Is As Boring As The iPhone 5

Advertisement

RogerG likes this.

My wife and I bought our S3s a little over a month ago and still have not worn the "newness" (or Toy Factor) off of them. Articles like this make us feel better. The S4 is not that spectacular, just an "incremental improvement to what is already one of the most popular phones in the world" (quoting the article). With that thought in hand, we no longer believe our new smartphones are already outdated and hopelessly antique after only 30 days . . .

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Rest assured Mark, your SIII´s are going to remain "new and butt kicking" for a long while. Plus, there are positive indications that the hardware on the SIII´s are all quite capable of absorbing all the features that are new in the S IV... and that´s gonna happen soon.
    The article doesn´t end well, for me at least, but I can tell you that, yes it´s going to be a boring incremental package for those that have the SIII. What the heck does an extra millimeter do the screen? The octo-core, what does it mean to us, really ? The camera even. Unless you use it with a pedestal, at 13 megas your photos are going to suffer from the shakes. I rather like the HTC One solution for the camera...
    Then there´s the plastic. Different pattern and color hue, but it´s the same. Except that it´s slimmer, and I wonder how this imposed "diet" is going to affect the sturdiness of the phone.
    I´m sorely disappointed. But that´s me. Like Glenn, if I use the Note 2, I see the differences to the SIII as far as "sturdiness" is concerned. I can just imagine how frail the S IV is going to be.
    And then ther´s the price question. How much? Here? Close to 800,00€ ? And the trade-in for the SIII - they won´t be valued at more than 300,00€. So, nope thanks very much.
    Much like the incremental update from the i4S to the iPhone 5. Same crap.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    I believe the reason we are so disappointed is we expected to see the same advance as the s2 to the s3. All we got is a minor upgrade of the s3.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Well KTW for once you make sense...

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    He certainly dose.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    Rest assured Mark, your SIII´s are going to remain "new and butt kicking" for a long while. Plus, there are positive indications that the hardware on the SIII´s are all quite capable of absorbing all the features that are new in the S IV... and that´s gonna happen soon.
    The article doesn´t end well, for me at least, but I can tell you that, yes it´s going to be a boring incremental package for those that have the SIII. What the heck does an extra millimeter do the screen? The octo-core, what does it mean to us, really ? The camera even. Unless you use it with a pedestal, at 13 megas your photos are going to suffer from the shakes. I rather like the HTC One solution for the camera...
    Then there´s the plastic. Different pattern and color hue, but it´s the same. Except that it´s slimmer, and I wonder how this imposed "diet" is going to affect the sturdiness of the phone.
    I´m sorely disappointed. But that´s me. Like Glenn, if I use the Note 2, I see the differences to the SIII as far as "sturdiness" is concerned. I can just imagine how frail the S IV is going to be.
    And then ther´s the price question. How much? Here? Close to 800,00€ ? And the trade-in for the SIII - they won´t be valued at more than 300,00€. So, nope thanks very much.
    Much like the incremental update from the i4S to the iPhone 5. Same crap.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by KTW View Post
    I believe the reason we are so disappointed is we expected to see the same advance as the s2 to the s3. All we got is a minor upgrade of the s3.
    +1

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    it's only boring in the looks department, but this phone is going to please a lot of people.

Think about it. This thing is going to look amazing compared to the i5S.

well, expect that its made from cheap plastic...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    S2 to S3:
    S-voice, S-beam, Smart Scroll, (eventually) Mulri-view, 1.5 CPU (quad international), 2gb ram, bigger better screen. Others I'm struggling to remember off the top of my head, oh apparently the most important-a redesign.

And press complained and knocked it at unveiling. Then they tried it and the public loved it.

S3-S4:
    Bigger high def screen is same size package. S-translate, S-Health, Multiple cool camera improvements, multiple sharing improvements, CPU bump (neat one in international), improved battery size, + all the S3 improvements.

No redesign so its a letdown?

Personally I think the press and geek communities have come to want too much. We are becoming like spoiled little kids. Gimmie gimmie gimmie.

If it just had a handful of minor tweaks I could see the skepticism. Hell I'd call it a GS3s and move along. Instead it does have some arguably cool NEW features and it is getting blasted because it looks the same and is made of...plastic.

I have been privileged to own some cool stuff, back when I wasn't poor. Some cost me dear, and I cherished them.
    My blackberries, made with plastic. Didn't hear so much complaining about the stuff then. My PS3, 360, blu-ray...plastic. Look good and work well.

My truck, a jeep, uses plastic in the dash. Never a problem. My microwace , coffee maker, swiss army knife, TV shell, all plastic. None have given me any issues. My sons, daughter have ridden in comfortable plastic car seats that I'd wager are safer than metal would be.

I don't get it. It doesn't "feel" premium? Then why buy it? Why spend the money? Must be something else then that makes us drop the coin on this thing. Oh, it has FEATURES that improve our experiences, makes our lives a bit easier.

Personally I'll take light over heavy. I'll take durable over fragile (or less durable). I'll take no case over case. The 3 (superior build quality) metal devices I have owned were crap as far as quality. The OG iPhone screen cracked. The EVO 3D had a screen come apart from its bezel and another just stop registering input. Meanwhile the blackberries, and the 5 samsungs have never once given me a quality issue.

Just saying...this plastic vs metal stuff, starting to seem more snobbish than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    . . . Personally I think the press and geek communities have come to want too much. We are becoming like spoiled little kids. Gimmie gimmie gimmie. . . .
    Agree. We all remember the feeling that we had when something new and fantastic was introduced. Something that was different, that was super-innovative, that would change the way we look at smartphones. It's only happened a few times (the original RAZR; the BlackBerry Pearl; the original iPhone; some others). We are addicted, we want to feel that way again.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    S2 to S3:
    S-voice, S-beam, Smart Scroll, (eventually) Mulri-view, 1.5 CPU (quad international), 2gb ram, bigger better screen. Others I'm struggling to remember off the top of my head, oh apparently the most important-a redesign.

And press complained and knocked it at unveiling. Then they tried it and the public loved it.

S3-S4:
    Bigger high def screen is same size package. S-translate, S-Health, Multiple cool camera improvements, multiple sharing improvements, CPU bump (neat one in international), improved battery size, + all the S3 improvements.

No redesign so its a letdown?

Personally I think the press and geek communities have come to want too much. We are becoming like spoiled little kids. Gimmie gimmie gimmie.

If it just had a handful of minor tweaks I could see the skepticism. Hell I'd call it a GS3s and move along. Instead it does have some arguably cool NEW features and it is getting blasted because it looks the same and is made of...plastic.

I have been privileged to own some cool stuff, back when I wasn't poor. Some cost me dear, and I cherished them.
    My blackberries, made with plastic. Didn't hear so much complaining about the stuff then. My PS3, 360, blu-ray...plastic. Look good and work well.

My truck, a jeep, uses plastic in the dash. Never a problem. My microwace , coffee maker, swiss army knife, TV shell, all plastic. None have given me any issues. My sons, daughter have ridden in comfortable plastic car seats that I'd wager are safer than metal would be.

I don't get it. It doesn't "feel" premium? Then why buy it? Why spend the money? Must be something else then that makes us drop the coin on this thing. Oh, it has FEATURES that improve our experiences, makes our lives a bit easier.

Personally I'll take light over heavy. I'll take durable over fragile (or less durable). I'll take no case over case. The 3 (superior build quality) metal devices I have owned were crap as far as quality. The OG iPhone screen cracked. The EVO 3D had a screen come apart from its bezel and another just stop registering input. Meanwhile the blackberries, and the 5 samsungs have never once given me a quality issue.

Just saying...this plastic vs metal stuff, starting to seem more snobbish than ever.
    S-Voice is hardly a feature... :P

Plastic is awesome if it offers something like drop protection, but samsung went ahead and engineered that out of the plastic they use for the GS3.

Now the GS4 could be a better phone, but if breaks just as easy as the S3 there really is no point in using that material anymore.

+ Reply to Thread