+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Stone

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ic-Smartphones... Smartphone News forum

Article: Samsung Exec Explains Love for Plastic Smartphones

Advertisement

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Still, there’s a lot you can do with plastics, and Samsung makes some good points about the sort of durability they offer users, even if they seem a little less refined compared to any metal-adorned competition.

lol what durability are they talking about?

Open source reality distortion field.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    For what its worth, the only device I've ever had problems with had a metal frame.
    2 of em, both crap. Say what you want, but as far as MY experience with plastic fantastic, its all been positive.

I wonder one thing. Everyone I know who owns an iPhone keeps it in one of those big cases. Why? If its so beautiful I'd show it off. Of course every case has a cutout so the logo shows through. Everyone has to know its an iPhone...

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Plastic, as much as I don´t like it myself, is obviously much more resilient, but HTC manages high quality finishes, and its not plastic.
    I think what Samsung achieves with this is purely economical. It´s much easier to mould plastic. It´s also cheaper. I personnally appreciate the S3 as a smartphone, but I hate it as a finished product. It´s cheap.
    The iPhone 5 , with its faults (the black one, with those chips and scuffs) feels a better product. The new Z10, although made in plastic, is of a better quality as well. The back cover of the Z10 is as resilient as the S3 and yet it manages to feel of a better quality.
    And again, the HTC. I take my hat off to them. They have a superb finish. Solid, light and it looks great. Any of them. So if they can do it, so can Samsung. It would be nice if they did.

The iPhones durability and dumb cases people use have nothing to do with the cheap plastic Samsung uses...

Please stay on topic, sir.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Say what you want, but as far as MY experience with plastic fantastic, its all been positive.
    Is plastic fantastic sammy's code name?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Cap I was comparing the materials in an iPhone to Sammy. I never understand why its raved about but everyone I see has a case.

To each his own. I don't feel its cheap. I wouldn't spend the money on it if it did. My choice I guess.

The iPhone feels premium, but not my cup of tea. If I did have one I wouldn't keep it in a case. The Evo I kept in a case. Damn ugly phone.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    The S3 looks and feels great. Maybe not the best as far as looks, but I prefer access to my battery, and love the sdcard slot over more metal. Considering how thin the phone is, I think the design is genius. I hope they follow the same blueprint with the S4.

All my phones since I started carrying phones have been plastic, except for a V3 Motorola RAZR back when Gilligan's Island was "All New!!!". So I don't mind my S3's plastic.

But I think the point is almost academic - our modern day phones are mostly monolithic slabs anyway, and 99% of "the point" is what the device can do, not what it looks like. Back when Flip Fones ruled the known universe, the style of the device was the biggest selling point - the RAZR, the Motorola Pebl, all the funny looking little devices from Nokia. But nowadays, it's the screeeeeeeeeen and the Oh Ess. Plastic or metal? Irrelevant. Unless you're a manufacturer that is watching cost and efficiency.

You all are still is missing the point.

The plastic and design used in the S3 offer no durability nor does it have a premium feel. It's ok that it's plastic, but the material offers no advantage in this case. The fellow also mentioned that they tried to find a balance between fast manufacturing and quality so they knew they had to step their game up.

I expect the SIV to be a little better in the hardware department. If your going to use plastic at least design it so it doesn't lose drop tests to a glass iPhone.

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    All my phones since I started carrying phones have been plastic, except for a V3 Motorola RAZR back when Gilligan's Island was "All New!!!". So I don't mind my S3's plastic.

But I think the point is almost academic - our modern day phones are mostly monolithic slabs anyway, and 99% of "the point" is what the device can do, not what it looks like. Back when Flip Fones ruled the known universe, the style of the device was the biggest selling point - the RAZR, the Motorola Pebl, all the funny looking little devices from Nokia. But nowadays, it's the screeeeeeeeeen and the Oh Ess. Plastic or metal? Irrelevant. Unless you're a manufacturer that is watching cost and efficiency.
    Totally disagree with most of that. I agree that two of the main selling points of a phone are the screen and OS. The third is without a doubt the looks. People care about looks along with function. The slider goes back and forth depending on who you talk to.

A bad car analogy but when I shop for a car the first thing I look for is what I think looks good. Then when I find something that I think looks good I check to see what the specs are and if they are up to my expectations. Another person might start by finding a car with the specs that impresses them,then steps back to see if the looks of the car is acceptable to them. I'd rather drive a sweet looking car that would only top out at 75-80 mph than drive a car that looked like a piece of crap but would out perform almost anything on the road.

Back when flip phones were king I looked for the sharpest looking flip phone I could find. I actually still have my favorite one and keep it for a backup with my other line on it...yes,it's metal.

I tend to look for things that are eye appealing to me before digging into what they can actually do. I did the same thing when shopping for a computer. Not saying after I found something I liked I didn't dig in to see what it could and couldn't do.

I could go on and on...we are remodeling our kitchen and dinning room. Will the food taste better?

You might call me shallow and superficial but believe me...looks matter.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    With an avatar like that, we know how looks matter.....

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Believe me,I chose the best looking one. You should have seen the others.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    Totally disagree with most of that. I agree that two of the main selling points of a phone are the screen and OS. The third is without a doubt the looks. People care about looks along with function. The slider goes back and forth depending on who you talk to.

A bad car analogy but when I shop for a car the first thing I look for is what I think looks good. Then when I find something that I think looks good I check to see what the specs are and if they are up to my expectations. Another person might start by finding a car with the specs that impresses them,then steps back to see if the looks of the car is acceptable to them. I'd rather drive a sweet looking car that would only top out at 75-80 mph than drive a car that looked like a piece of crap but would out perform almost anything on the road.

Back when flip phones were king I looked for the sharpest looking flip phone I could find. I actually still have my favorite one and keep it for a backup with my other line on it...yes,it's metal.

I tend to look for things that are eye appealing to me before digging into what they can actually do. I did the same thing when shopping for a computer. Not saying after I found something I liked I didn't dig in to see what it could and couldn't do.

I could go on and on...we are remodeling our kitchen and dinning room. Will the food taste better?

You might call me shallow and superficial but believe me...looks matter.
    Naw, I wouldn't call you shallow or superficial - because you're not. I see your points and they are valid.
    catstide likes this.

+ Reply to Thread