+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...nancial-Report... Smartphone News forum

Article: RIM's Year-Ending Financial Report

Advertisement

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Interesting reading. For the dimension of RIM, it's not yet a dismal report. But for the immediate short-term, and the trending prospects, both short and mid-term, it's a damn large dark cloud. The CEO's should be held accountable. I believe the once No. 2 Hockey hopeful has bailed the board. He should have walked the plank...As for his main buddy, let's see what he does. Probably grit his teeth and hold out for a great old-age pension.
    The other top ones, including that Ottawa University idiot should also get the boot.
    I wonder how many cronies are going to be left over.
    As for the new CEO, he better be drastic, and his statement
    "We believe BlackBerry cannot succeed if we try to be everybody's darling and all things to all people”
    is not the the strategy to follow. All he has to do is look at Apple and Android, and now Microsoft, to see that RIM has to be exactly that to all their present, and future customers.
    Last edited by Delfim; 03-29-2012 at 07:27 PM.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    As for the new CEO, he better be drastic, and his statement
    "We believe BlackBerry cannot succeed if we try to be everybody's darling and all things to all people”
    is not the the strategy to follow. All he has to do is look at Apple and Android, and now Microsoft, to see that RIM has to be exactly that to all their present, and future customers.
    That is being interpreted as RIM leaving the consumer market and focusing on enterprise. The problem is, most enterprises are moving toward BYOD.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...212323407.html
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Security maybe a concern by enterprise clients. But those are not the millions that will sustain RIM. Modified iOS and Android are guaranteeing the same level of security, or else the US Army, the NSA et al wouldn't switch over.
    This strategy is good for niche markets but only if you have the general consumer supporting you.
    It ain't gonna cut it.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    RIM have stated they are not getting out of the consumer market. Having said that they need to make something that consumers want, (BB10). With regards to BYOD I was under the impression that their enterprise setup works with this functionalit.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    RIM have stated they are not getting out of the consumer market. Having said that they need to make something that consumers want, (BB10). With regards to BYOD I was under the impression that their enterprise setup works with this functionalit.
    The issue I see is that consumers will not want BB10. I doubt if BB10 will attract developers to create apps that consumers want. If it is more of the same "get our app in the App Store, Google Play/Android Market or Windows Phone Marketplace" with no mention of BlackBerry AppWorld, the consumers will not buy the BB10 devices.
    Laura

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Say what you will about BGR and Geller, he had a pretty good article today about the State of RIM. While everything RIM is doing is well and good, just like everything else they've done lately, it's several years too late.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hells bells Rog, I was the first one to state that when I reviewed the 9900.
    And that was back then. Some kudus for Pinstack are obligatory here...

That comment was really directed at all the BlackBerry diehards that are giving him grief on Twitter.

I don't particularly care for the guy, but I'll tell you what......the Cult of Apple has turned into the Cult of BlackBerry these days.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Don't worry by years end they will go away and be good friends with Palm fans and form a new group, yet to be named

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    The article is a reasonable take on the current state of affairs in RIM, however there are a few points I do not agree with. I don't think RIM is any more dead than Apple was a few years back. I also do not agree with the statement that QNX is a poor OS, having used it on the PlayBook, I like it, would it work on a PC, no, but it works really wel on the Playbook, (I prefer it to Android, IOS and Windows), will it be as good on a phone I don't know it remains to be seen what design they come out with. Certainly whatever they do it has to be fast, have a large screen, and a good battery life. Will it be an Apple/Android killer? Of course not, these two are well estabilished now and the only thing that will kill them will be the same thing that hurt RIM, themselves. If Apple keeps coming out with minor upgrades people will get upset and try something else (probably Android), similarly if there are enough security issues on any of the systems that actually affect people rather than just being reported in the tech press, it may hurt. No-one can forsee the future, so will RIM survive, difficult to say, (we all may be gone at the end of 2012 ), I think they will not dissapear this year, or even next. Will there be a merger? Again the question is more where are there compatible companies that would consider it? Of course they could be bought to close down, get rid of the competition, and just keep the Patents. Whatever happens peoples lives will be affected particulalrly those that work for the company, and so for me I hope they survive I don't like seeing people losing jobs.

Disclaimer: Whilst I use BB phones and the Playbook I do not consider myself to be a fanboy, the BB phone does what I need, I don't play games and normally use the Playbook for the web interface. I do prefer the Playbook, form and operating system, camera (things that I use it for) to the IPad2, haven't had the opportunity to compare the new IPad so cannot say what my reaction is there.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    I've used BlackBerry for several years now, but I am not going to continue with the platform. I have no interest in games. However, almost all apps I want are not available for BlackBerry, and these are not only apps like Netflix and Skype. For instance, Home Depot has an app for all platforms except BlackBerry.

Daily battery pulls, a painfully slow browser, and the ever present hourglass are old too.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I've used BlackBerry for several years now, but I am not going to continue with the platform. I have no interest in games. However, almost all apps I want are not available for BlackBerry, and these are not only apps like Netflix and Skype. For instance, Home Depot has an app for all platforms except BlackBerry.

Daily battery pulls, a painfully slow browser, and the ever present hourglass are old too.
    I'm going to continue with BB because my life is organized through use of the PIM apps that are native to the os. I'm spoiled by the excellent calendar, secure password keeper, nice note taking app and the excellent qwerty for messaging. I run a Bold 9780 without a data plan on T-Mobile. Occasionally I turn on the Wi Fi and look at YouTube or Facebook, but mostly my machine is an electronic organizer.

The bad thing for RIM is that people like me that use them this way are very, very rare - most smartphones are consumer goods now, not business devices. But if RIM goes out of business, and my Boldie wears out, I'll go to Ebay and buy an older Berry because of the PIM tools. I've tried both iOS and Android and they don't measure up in that specific area, although Windows looks promising.

If I want to keep posting articles on the Front Page here, however, it might be a wise decision for me to get on the bandwagon and get an Android so I know what the heck I'm talking about when I post . . . Hahahahaha

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I'm going to continue with BB because my life is organized through use of the PIM apps that are native to the os. I'm spoiled by the excellent calendar, secure password keeper, nice note taking app and the excellent qwerty for messaging. I run a Bold 9780 without a data plan on T-Mobile. Occasionally I turn on the Wi Fi and look at YouTube or Facebook, but mostly my machine is an electronic organizer.

The bad thing for RIM is that people like me that use them this way are very, very rare - most smartphones are consumer goods now, not business devices. But if RIM goes out of business, and my Boldie wears out, I'll go to Ebay and buy an older Berry because of the PIM tools. I've tried both iOS and Android and they don't measure up in that specific area, although Windows looks promising.

If I want to keep posting articles on the Front Page here, however, it might be a wise decision for me to get on the bandwagon and get an Android so I know what the heck I'm talking about when I post . . . Hahahahaha
    Mark, it does make sense for you to use BlackBerry, given the way you use your device. I do sync my calendar/contacts with Outlool. However, I've always shrunk out tasks, password keeper, and notepad. I've never used those apps, and the devices lacked memory to run the apps I use with those installed.

That's another thing I won't miss: needing to shrink the OS due to lack of app space.
    Laura

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

64gb iPhone baby!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast