+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...erry-10-Slider... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: RIM is Still Working on a BlackBerry 10 Slider

Advertisement

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'd like to see BlackBerry recover from their downward spiral and thrive again. Their current path is reminding me a lot of what happened to Palm. Great technology, but... My last phone was a Curve, then I switched to Android (G2x). Although I'm reasonably happy with my Android phone, BlackBerry had some advantages that I haven't seen on the Android side: better handling of email, a more stable OS (meaning I didn't need to reboot it very often, while Android I find it necessary to reboot every day or two) and much better battery performance than Android. Of course, Android blows BB away with the number of apps available, better browsers, etc. A BlackBerry along the lines of the Torch or Milan would have a chance to bring me back. The number one thing I don't like about the Milan shown: I can just feel the sharp corners of it digging into my leg when I throw it in my pocket. The styling is nice, but I'd rather have a little more practicality.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I think I published this picture a couple of weeks ago in another thread. It's definitely an interesting concept.

Whatever they come up with, RIM will need to hit a home run with it to have even a chance of bringing back any of the masses of people who abandoned BlackBerry for another platform, myself included.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I agree. But I think RIM must just get on with it regarding new models and OS. No use in talking about it and then years go past, literally, and nothing happens. This factor alone is very demotivating for their clients.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by richmo58 View Post
    BlackBerry had some advantages that I haven't seen on the Android side: better handling of email, a more stable OS (meaning I didn't need to reboot it very often, while Android I find it necessary to reboot every day or two) and much better battery performance than Android. Of course, Android blows BB away with the number of apps available, better browsers, etc. A BlackBerry along the lines of the Torch or Milan would have a chance to bring me back. The number one thing I don't like about the Milan shown: I can just feel the sharp corners of it digging into my leg when I throw it in my pocket. The styling is nice, but I'd rather have a little more practicality.
    Interesting. I had not heard of the need to reboot Androids daily. During the last few months that I used the BlackBerry 9700, daily reboots were necessary. I'd get the hourglass whenever memory got low, and I had to reboot the device.

I agree with you on the sharp corners of this concept model. I would prefer something with more rounded corners.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    I agree. But I think RIM must just get on with it regarding new models and OS. No use in talking about it and then years go past, literally, and nothing happens. This factor alone is very demotivating for their clients.
    The delay is what made me change platforms. I had an upgrade available since May 2011. I waited 11 months, hoping that RIM would release a BB10 device. It hasn't happened yet, and I really needed to get a device that was newer and faster.

The article does not mention screen size. I found the 9810 to be a bit small. I would prefer this new BB10 device to have a 4 - 4.5" screen.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Strange. I have the SII, the Note, the Galaxy Nexus. I've never have had the need to reboot any of them...only when I change the SIM card to switch between phones. But then that's me, not the Droids fault. The BB on the hand, like Laura says, was almost a daily routine. With the BB 9900, which I still have, I also haven't had the need to, although I did - a force of habit.But the Droids, never!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I have to defend BB, it is a matter of principal , had both my 9800's running for over a week and haven't done a battery pull, have quite a few apps running on them as well, plus browsing,e-mails etc, running OS6, so maybe the problems mentioned above are OS7 related. Anyway I believe that BB10 should be more stable, whenever it comes out. The problem for RIM is that Windows will be getting a stronger foothold as they delay, more people will leave the BB platform for Apple/Android/Windows, despite the security side of OS7 being declared the most secure platform. BB10 and the phones will have to be pretty amazing to win customers from the other platforms, we will see what's in store at the upcoming BB world. Oh and lets not go on about they don't have the apps, I know Skype and Netflix is a big thing for some, but I doubt Skype (as it is owned by MS will ever move to BB, way back when they said there was not enough memory on the phone, now I think they just have zero intention of porting it). I have moved away from skype and rearely use it these days.

PIN/ID
    no more
    VZW users actually can get Skype on BlackBerry. I believe there was some sort of exclusive deal between Skype and VZW before Microsoft bought Skype. Skype is available for iPhone and Android devices, so I believe that the lack of availability of Skype on other carriers' BlackBerry devices might have something to do with that VZW exclusive deal.
    Laura

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^ That is true, as Verizon said their transmission rates were faster (fast enough for Skype to work) which with the other carriers offering 4G and the fact that other devices could use it seems strange. Skype is going to be ported to HTML5, which means it will be able to run on the PlayBook in the browser and any other device.

PIN/ID
    no more
    If anything, AT&T should have gotten the Skype BlackBerry exclusive, not VZW, if speeds were taken into consideration. UTMS is faster than 1X-EV-DO.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread