+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lak611
  • 1 Post By Kdaddy

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-deterioration... Smartphone News forum

Article: Does RIM shocker imply wider handset market deterioration?

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well I suppose there are only so many people that can afford mobile devices, add to that there are so many mobile devices available, high unemployment, carrier tying people in without upgrade options for 2-3 years and it is not that surprising. With RIM one should also take into account the way they have gone about telling everyone BB10 is coming and how super duper it is, then wonder why people are not buying current BB's especially as you cannot upgrade them.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj
    Well I suppose there are only so many people that can afford mobile devices, add to that there are so many mobile devices available, high unemployment, carrier tying people in without upgrade options for 2-3 years and it is not that surprising. With RIM one should also take into account the way they have gone about telling everyone BB10 is coming and how super duper it is, then wonder why people are not buying current BB's especially as you cannot upgrade them.
    The OS7 devices were Osborned in 2011, when BB10 was "coming soon" since last year.
    dushdavj likes this.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    As I was reading the article, I was thinking to myself "if they are declining that much, what are handsets being replaced with". Your comment makes sense to me though and helps me to understand what is happening. Thanks.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Another issue that is causing certain companies to decline, especially in the US and Canada, is the release of certain handsets at key times when customers' contracts expire and the failure of other companies to release compelling product at those times.

Most of us who are members here do not represent the typical US or Canadian smartphone customer. We tend to sell/trade/pay full retail, since we are smartphone junkies. For instance, I had a BlackBerry 9000 and still had a contract. I wanted a better BlackBerry, so I bought a 9700 from a friend who left AT&T and switched to VZW. Then I was out of contract for 11 months while waiting.

The "typical" US or Canadian customer will just wait until his/her 2 or 3 year contract is up, and then get a new device with a new contract. If that person is a previous Apple customer, Apple times its release cycle perfectly for the customer: eg, if he had a 3GS his contract ended when the 4S was released. However, if that customer had a BlackBerry OS6 device, his contract is going to be ending soon, and he won't have any new BlackBerry to choose; as the "typical" consumer, he will get an Apple or Samsung product that is available now.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Kdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2
    I agree with dushdavj, it's like when you buy a quality car. You buy it because it will last forever, and you don't need to rush out and buy the newest thing because it has a racing stripe. There are so many quality phones out there as of late that will last a long time. Once you get a good phone, your fun money can go for other things. Call it the quality construction delema that customers love, investors hate and phone makers are stuck with...
    dushdavj likes this.

+ Reply to Thread