+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-Mobile-Fusion... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Article: RIM launches BlackBerry Mobile Fusion

Advertisement

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Going to take a look. I'm not enterprise, but I'm enterprising... But, where is the OS 10? New phones? Much ado 'bout nutting... Again. Sigh...

Edit:
    Ok, I took a look. Just on Droids. That's it. Not for me anymore... But it's a valuable tool for the enterprise oriented folks. It plays on security fears (which are real) and pertinent to those companies and businesses that value their communications.
    I'm small fry.
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-03-2012 at 01:15 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Let's think about this one for a moment? Why would RIM release software that also manages Android and Apple devices? The message is interesting

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Let's think about this one for a moment? Why would RIM release software that also manages Android and Apple devices? The message is interesting
    It would make sense for RIM to switch from being a hardware manufacturer to being an enterprise services company. BES is something RIM does right. If RIM is able to compete with other companies like Good Technology, it might be successful. The question is whether the enterprises will pick Mobile Fusion or another product.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    ...The question is whether the enterprises will pick Mobile Fusion or another product.
    And that's where the cookie crumbles.
    Admittedly Android needs a makeover as far as security is concerned. It doesn't really affect us (we're small fish, already fried) but it does affect corporations, regardless of their size. Or anyone handling confidential data. But, and this a big but, if the Ste Department, the US Navy, even the NSA are testing Android for their communications, that means there are sophisticated applications, e-mail clients and whatnot that encrypt, superscript and under-script, and whatever they need to have to maintain everything tight and closed, then what RIM is offering is one more solution. Not THE SOLUTION. Albeit welcome, in this world of ours...
    As far as iOS, it's much the same argument, although being a "closed" environment it might not be so vulnerable as Android is.
    So although it's been offered as a cross platform app, I don't think there will be any significant retail of the product. And by the way, not at those prices...
    If RIM's target are the fears that the corporations have, and I believe it is, then they will have an uphill battle since so many alternatives are, readily, available.
    Which brings me back to my initial post. Where's the OS 10? Where's the new BB smartphone? And I add this very important caveat: How will this (BB Mobile Fusion and the Client) work with their recent phones (OS 6 and 7, the 9900, the 9360, and all the phones of about 2 years ago etc.) Or won't they be able to? Because they need different hardware or software, whatever. So it's back to square one. RIM launches something new, with a project projected (excuse the redundancy) for the future, with a software that may not be OS10, and the phones yet to materialize.
    This is RIM's modus operandi we've been subjected to over the last few years. Not any more. We've moved on. The corporations have and will be moving on. By the time this lot of RIM's inventiveness is active, up and running, we'll all be sporting curved, foldable screens, with all the fancy stuff, and probably enough security apps that wil satisfy most of us.
    And which RIM's R&D team (so many of them) haven't even thought about.
    So, it´s all about nothing. Yet again.

+ Reply to Thread