+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-of-BlackBerry... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Article: RIM CEO on What Went Wrong and the Future of BlackBerry

Advertisement

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    The whole bit about getting behind by not embracing LTE sounds like a lousy excuse to me. There is no LTE iPhone as of yet, but the iPhone's sales have not been impacted by lack of LTE.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's as if I read an interview with Balsie. Goodness, the mind set is the same almost.
    He's been at RIM too long. Innovation? By the time 2013 and BB 10 arrives the others have long gone again...
    And he'll go to.But with a couple of more millions in his pocket.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Add to that the carriers in the US are not deploying any upgrades to the OS of the phones currently on contract, the whole thing has stagnated. If RIM believes their problems are due to lack of 4G/LTE they have buried their heads deeper than anyone can realize. They may have stood a slight chance if they had released BB10 this year, now even the faithful are leaving. Check out comments from BBGeeks.com they are considering shutting up shop. My contract is up in December, I will probably go to a normal cell phone and use the Playbook for personal e-mail, when my company BB dies then I will accept whatever I am given, if BB10 had come out in October I would have purchased one, will I now a definite NO. When the PlayBook dies I will be moving to Microsoft Surface professional, which will also replace my notebook.

RIM may survive thanks to sales worldwide, but will they keep their no 3 spot, I am not sure, Microsoft is a sleeping giant Windows 8 looks very promising.
    lak611 likes this.

^^^^Right on Dave. My smartphone is now a Windows Phone and my work device is a BlackBerry PlayBook - - It doesn't look like RIM is even able to rescue their own smartphone future. I'll use the PlayBook til it stops working, then that's it for anything BlackBerry for me!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow, Mark......if you had said something like that just a few short months ago, I wouldn't have believed a word. It was just a year ago for me when I was still on the BlackBerry. And now Dave is threatening to leave the platform.

Things have certainly changed, haven't they?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wow, Mark......if you had said something like that just a few short months ago, I wouldn't have believed a word. It was just a year ago for me when I was still on the BlackBerry. And now Dave is threatening to leave the platform.

Things have certainly changed, haven't they?
    Yes they have lol. I think of what PinStack was like and what our focus was just 5 short years ago when I joined - a BlackBerry site thru and thru. When Hayden morphed us into a general smartphone site he was looking into the future I guess. The BlackBerry Bold, which is the flagship for RIM, cannot stand up to what Apple, Android and Windows Phone are doing. When I started comparing the Bold and the HTC that my daughter gave me, I fully expected the Bold to prove itself as the more useful device. I was even cheering for the Bold, because, as everyone knows, I was completely BlackBerry. However, the older HTC, running Windows Phone 7.5 outperformed the Bold in nearly every area. Email, recordkeeping, calendar, word processing, messaging, multi-media, browser, syncing with Google, Yahoo, Windows Live, Microsoft Exchange, and especially screen. And, surprisingly, the HTCs keyboard when in landscape is easier than the Bold's physical qwerty to type on. I'm a convert, at least as far as Windows Phone. RIM needs to do something earth-shattering for me to come back! Deep inside I really hope they do, but my hopes are not up.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Yes they have lol. I think of what PinStack was like and what our focus was just 5 short years ago when I joined - a BlackBerry site thru and thru. When Hayden morphed us into a general smartphone site he was looking into the future I guess. The BlackBerry Bold, which is the flagship for RIM, cannot stand up to what Apple, Android and Windows Phone are doing. When I started comparing the Bold and the HTC that my daughter gave me, I fully expected the Bold to prove itself as the more useful device. I was even cheering for the Bold, because, as everyone knows, I was completely BlackBerry. However, the older HTC, running Windows Phone 7.5 outperformed the Bold in nearly every area. Email, recordkeeping, calendar, word processing, messaging, multi-media, browser, syncing with Google, Yahoo, Windows Live, Microsoft Exchange, and especially screen. And, surprisingly, the HTCs keyboard when in landscape is easier than the Bold's physical qwerty to type on. I'm a convert, at least as far as Windows Phone. RIM needs to do something earth-shattering for me to come back! Deep inside I really hope they do, but my hopes are not up.
    I had been pretty much the same as you. It took me longer to switch from BlackBerry to Windows Phone 7.5 than it did for a lot of long-time members here to switch from BlackBerry to Android or iPhone.

I had been convinced that BIS was the fastest for e-mail, even if many of the e-mails got truncated. When I saw how much faster Exchange ActiveSync is, I was flabbergasted. I also do not miss the truncated e-mails.

I also thought it would be difficult to adjust to a virtual keyboard, but I find that I'm typing quicker than I did on the physical keyboard.

If you would have asked me a year ago if I'd get a Windows Phone, I would have said no. I was still waiting for BB10 at that time.

I really hope BB10 gets released and is successful, since more competition is always better for consumers. However, at this point in time, I probably would not consider getting a BB10 device. Most likely, my next device will be Windows Phone 8. Whether or not I get a new device immediately is not known at this time. Since I got my Lumia 900 free after the Nokia rebate, I could afford to pay full retail for my next Windows Phone 8 device; however, I am happy with the features and functions of the Nokia Lumia 900 now and would not necessarily see any immediate need to upgrade. I'll wait and see what's new in Windows Phone 8 this fall and then decide accordingly.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    It's as if I read an interview with Balsie. Goodness, the mind set is the same almost.
    He's been at RIM too long. Innovation? By the time 2013 and BB 10 arrives the others have long gone again...
    And he'll go to.But with a couple of more millions in his pocket.
    You're right, Delfim. Balsie's excuse was that they were waiting for a chip that supported LTE, or something to that effect.

Heins is repeating the same senseless mumbo-jumbo about LTE now.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well I still love my Playbook, and prefer it to my wife's Ipad. I like the look of the Surface more as a laptop replacement. I am really saddened by RIM's continual delays I really hope that BB10 is launched as if it is anything like OS 2 of the Playbook it will be a really good OS. Trouble is they announce too soon and cannot keep their promises.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Well I still love my Playbook, and prefer it to my wife's Ipad. I like the look of the Surface more as a laptop replacement. I am really saddened by RIM's continual delays I really hope that BB10 is launched as if it is anything like OS 2 of the Playbook it will be a really good OS. Trouble is they announce too soon and cannot keep their promises.
    I have the exact same plan as you. I want to get the Surface Pro as a laptop replacement. I am still debating as to whether or not I'll get the $40 Windows 8 upgrade for my laptop. I doubt if I'll get rid of the laptop, since it still runs well. I cannot seem to have enough computers anyway.
    dushdavj likes this.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I have the exact same plan as you. I want to get the Surface Pro as a laptop replacement. I am still debating as to whether or not I'll get the $40 Windows 8 upgrade for my laptop. I doubt if I'll get rid of the laptop, since it still runs well. I cannot seem to have enough computers anyway.
    I have a new desktop which is top of the range, I'll put Windows 8 on it and use it as the main one, with the Terrabytes of storage then go for surface professional for laptop mobile replacement, use 4G LTE Mifi with WiFi and SugarSync/Dropbox/box for communication and PlayBook as the general everyday tool. . This will reduce the need for bodybuilding carrying heavy laptops about which I have done since 1985!
    lak611 likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    I have a new desktop which is top of the range, I'll put Windows 8 on it and use it as the main one, with the Terrabytes of storage then go for surface professional for laptop mobile replacement, use 4G LTE Mifi with WiFi and SugarSync/Dropbox/box for communication and PlayBook as the general everyday tool. . This will reduce the need for bodybuilding carrying heavy laptops about which I have done since 1985!
    That's a great plan! I know I'll get Windows 8 for my desktop too. I'm just debating whether or not to upgrade the laptop to Windows 8 or keep Windows 7. Most likely I'll get Windows 8 for the laptop, just so all computers have the same OS.
    dushdavj likes this.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    If my notebook is still alive I will happily upgrade from XP to 8
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    no more
    If my notebook is still alive I will happily upgrade from XP to 8
    My old XP laptop became a Linux box. It only had 512 MB RAM, 1 GHz clock speed processor, and 60 GB HDD. It runs Linux like a charm, but it definitely would not be suitable for Windows 7.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast