+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...n-Q2-2012-With... Smartphone News forum

Article: Reuters: iPhone 5 Launch in Q2 2012 With 4.6" Screen

Advertisement

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    BGR is reporting that there will not be a 4.6 in screen. That the iPhone 5 will still be 3.5 in. I hope not. http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/23/next-i...ching-in-fall/

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There's no way the masses would be happy with the same screen. I wouldn't.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm betting on a pretty substantial re-design, including a new body style and larger screen.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I like the Reuters report because it is based on identified sources, whereas BGRs report is sourced to iMore, which in turn does not identify any sources and may be conjecture. The larger screen size makes more sense anyway, since they want to stay competitive with Samsung's 4.6" screen on their Galaxy S II . . .

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    And iMore(formerly knows as the iPB)says that there wont be a change in screen size... Not going to believe anything till I see Cook on stage waiving it around.

I will be tempted to buy the new Galaxy phone if this is true. I need some type of change to the physical design. I don't want a 4S that has LTE capabilities...
    Last edited by Capdot; 03-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I don't think Apple will go to 4.6 inches. They aren't known to shake things up that drastically. I think the form may change a bit but 4.6 is large

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote Originally Posted by smooth10
    I don't think Apple will go to 4.6 inches. They aren't known to shake things up that drastically. I think the form may change a bit but 4.6 is large
    Oh fine. Squash our dreams cap.

:edit: Sorry, that was smooth that said that.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    That maybe, but a larger screen is a must in my opinion. If Apple just changes to LTE or just the connector, it will be considered by the majority of iPhone users as another deceptive upgrade. That's no way an innovative and market leading enterprise will continue to guarantee and expand their customer base. I will expect at least, a change of form, a bigger screen, an improved and more useful iOS. Jailbreakers have lit a path. Apple should, where possible, seize the opportunity to develop on the ideas already available.If Tim Cook doesn't lead in these areas like Steve Jobs did, then Apple will become just like all others.

I agree with Del. If Apple doesn't go with a larger screen, then I think they will be starting down the same road that RIM went down - "deceptive upgrades" (good phrase, Del). BlackBerry got to the point where they thought they were so good and so far ahead of the curve that they lost vision, and I would hate to see Apple start down that same road. Overdramatizing? Probably, but it's a challenge to stay "cutting edge" when you're on the top - but that's exactly the position that Apple is in, and they need to continue the innovation that got them to where they are. I don't know for sure (nobody does at this stage) but I'm hoping for the 4.6!

It may not be 4.6", but it'll be at LEAST 4, in my opinion.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    No 4.6, no way, no how, not-gonna-happen.

If they do make the screen larger it will have to be vetted w/everything they already have in place a make sense, in other words "a reason" every single part including the OS are carefully tied together. If the math does not match it won't be.

Anyone figured out the different screen sizes and resolutions keeping retina? That will narrow down possibilities a little bit.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...or Apple will compromise. But definitely 4" and/or above.
    The pressure is there and I'm sure they have the technology. Also, Apple has in the past day or two applied for a new patent regarding the use of a special glass for future product application, namely the iPhone. Without any aluminum bezels... It might not be immediately available but lets look out for it. Its going to be innovative. It addresses the Retina math Steve is so worried about. Some blogs in the know do say that this is also a sign that Apple wants to go edge to edge with displays.
    So, augmenting to 4" or more in the next iteration of an Apple iPhone looks more plausible. It will be a stepping stone for a larger and a full bodied glass iPhone, with edge to edge graphics.
    Last edited by Delfim; 03-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Size doesn't matter to me but quality does. Or does it? I mean, as long as it is not android size with a very low resolution I'm game. But hey what do I know about sizes, ask a girl pinstacker and ask for her input ... just sayin'

+ Reply to Thread