+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-iPhone-issues... Smartphone News forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Article: Report: AT&T helped Apple with iPhone issues

Advertisement

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I don't agree with this at all. I've had a blackjack on ATT, the iPhone v1, a Curve, and the iPhone 3Gs, and ALL of them have had massive amounts of dropped calls. To be fair, the iPhone truly has the most dropped calls, but when I had the iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile, over 6 months I had 2-3 dropped calls. With ATT I have 1-2 dropped calls a DAY!!

I am glad they are trying to do something about it. Now if they could lower their eye-gouging expensive plans. Even with my work's 23% off discount, I still pay $40 more per month then I did with T-mobile.

The real solution would be to wait for LTE, and then move to the cheapest network that covers you where you need coverage
    Last edited by ventz; 03-31-2010 at 10:47 AM.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I can't speak from experience as I refuse to do business with AT&T and prefer my BB over the iPhone, but this is something that users have been complaining about for over a year. AT&T's response, when they finally admitted a problem, was to blame users for using the service they had paid for. The next step was to penalize users who actually wanted to utilize their phones with data.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Hmmm, I don't EVER experience dropped calls, I've had my iPhone 3GS since it launched, and I can count the amount of dropped calls with one hand......maybe it's location? I LOVE my 3GS and my 3G coverage No complaints here.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I use my iPhone on TMO and have not experienced any dropped calls. I can also talk and surf the web at the same time. So it's not the iPhone that is dropping calls. It's the carrier.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree with ventz and will say I have only had one dropped call and that was in 2008 or a very long time ago. This is part of the Apple & AT&T engine of business. I read an article last year that also blamed in part the dropped calls on the chipset used in the 3G/3GS. Wish I had saved it (link).

The article does not mention if the issues are Hardware or Software related which is important.

I tend to believe it's hardware but don't know?

I can see where Apple and AT&T working together as described in the article would be a benefit, i would actually expect it from all carriers on most featured phones. It makes sense.

Apple clearly wants AT&T to improve it's network and in part that would mean Apple doing it's part by understanding how AT&T's network works.

AT&T does have a faster 3G than others and allows for voice and data to be used at the same time. (important)

I enjoy these tidbits and more will be posted as we close in on the next generation of iPhone. Who knows if it will be in June/July or a little later. In the past Apple has given us looks at the next iPhone in March and this year that did not happen (today being March 31st).

Not sure if this means anything or not but Apple loves to dominate the news/rumors/speculation world. It's to their advantage to keep discussions flowing. They have somehow mastered keeping the truth hidden till the last minute even up to release. This would also be true for hardware/software issues.

I'm just happy to read things are being done to improve.
    Good read for anyone interested in dropped calls.

aferm no está en línea Stack level 2
    I currently use a jailbroken iphone 3g on at&t, and no dropped calls for me. I am in Miami, Florida, and Im guessing it's the city your in, and if your in a dead spot, and not the phone. I have used BB before, and had the same service. at&t is far from perfect, but in this city, TMobile is horrible, and many folks on pinstack rave about them, so its just a question of who has better towers. And lets not even discuss Sprint, as it is non-existent when it comes to service. Verizon has the best coverage, in my opinion, and I used to use them, but had terrible luck when it came to resolving customer service issues, and went to at&t, as my family has had them for the past 15 years. Just my 2 cents on this subject. And yes, I love the iphone, and feel guilty, because I convinced my family to change over to BB, and I got an iphone, and I don't think Im going back to RIM anytime soon. Hopefully The new version of the phone will be even better.

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have had dropped calls on ATT and on sprint, my previous carrier, I have seen decent improvement on ATT, but none drastically enough to have me nothing but good about them. They still have a long way to go, IMO, especially in my area of residence, NYC. They still have lots of issues in most areas for me but are showing signs of improvement. What gets me is how the iphone users would get perfect service on ATT while me being in the same stop has nothing. Now an iphone would have service in the same spot I didn't and I would have some service not sub par or even good, but a small improvement. Hopefully they continue to build on this to better everything. And with all these new phones which will use the network, it improves a lot.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    It is good that they are attempting to fix the issue, but like most of you I've been with AT&T like forever (AT&T/Cingular/AT&T) and I use to swear by them, call quality was, no dropped calls; everything was fine up until the last few months with my BoldBerry 9000. I'm thinking that was around about the time the Iphone 3GS came about, but I was getting several dropped calls a day. There was a time that living in the big cities (NY) had its advantages - so many cell towers.

AT&T service got so bad I willing paid an ETF just to get away, I don't know it may not be all IPhone or All AT&T, but as I've said before, if supposedly one phone (The IPhone 3GS) caused all these issues, eating up all AT&T Data so that it affects other users, how much overhauling do they think will have to be done (3 month plan) I personally don't see that simply because almost every phone coming out know will be capable of accessing the Network as easy as the IPhone.

I'm thinking that AT&T will see a great deal of defectors this year, its just not worth it, AT&T is just not like they use to be. Reports say their 3G is better than Verizon's but whats the point if you can't use it when you want.

Come to think of it my tipping scale was looking at my BoldBerry and seeing EDGE more than 3G.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by beeshabo View Post
    Hmmm, I don't EVER experience dropped calls, I've had my iPhone 3GS since it launched, and I can count the amount of dropped calls with one hand......maybe it's location? I LOVE my 3GS and my 3G coverage No complaints here.
    I think it's location based on population. Boston (where I am at), NYC, San. Fran. -- they are absolutely terrible.

I was on a con call yesterday, and my call dropped 4 times during the 30 minutes call. It was almost embarrassing.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    I use my iPhone on TMO and have not experienced any dropped calls. I can also talk and surf the web at the same time. So it's not the iPhone that is dropping calls. It's the carrier.
    The only way you can talk and surf is over wifi -- the whole point is that the 3G piece (which is different between TMO and ATT), adds another communication layer on top.

I bought an iPhone 3GS and went to tmobile, but after 6 months of getting 20-30kbps down and 5-8kbps up, I finally gave up and went to ATT...again, until LTE is out.

blaquegenius no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    316dfa3c
    I always experience dropped calls. It really depends on the area of town I'm in. I'm thinking it has to do with the nearest tower.... the flaws of technology.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Ive been with AT&T for like 5 years now. Aside from non compassionate CS (wouldnt grant me a 3 month early upgrade ), I must say that the service is above par. I can count on both hands the amount of dropped calls Ive had in the last 3 years. Also on one hand the times the service has been down in the same period.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Archer2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have only my personal experience to go on. In the six years I've been with AT&T, I've maintained two active lines. I've bought 12 phones from them:
    6 BlackBerrys (excellent call quality & rarely a dropped call).
    2 Moto Q's (excellent call quality & rarely a dropped call).
    1 Blackjack (decent call quality & rarely a dropped call).
    3 iPhones (decent to poor quality & more dropped calls).

My take on it? iPhone uses a poor phone & antenna setup. Traveling long distances on the same route each week for work, I know the coverage areas well. I love everything about Apples device except it's poor phone.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    I started with my iPhone 3G wanted to try something different so I picked up the HTC Eris then the droid. They all are great phones, but they hype on the moto droid wasn't all that. Android OS is great, but 1year later.... And I'm back on the iPhone. I'll deal with a few dropped calls here and there, as long as I don't have to deal with the rediculus VZW reps.

+ Reply to Thread