+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...and-Management... Smartphone News forum

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda

Article: PinStack and It's Great Writer's and Management

Advertisement

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well said, Craig, and thanks for the years of support you've given us here on PinStack! We appreciate your contributions and continued loyalty!

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Well said!

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well said i agree with you wholeheartedly, my hat's off to the main contributors to this site which makes it what it is, i look forward to the return of "From the eye of PapaMag"

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Yes , thank you !

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Thank you Craig for the kind words, and I agree wholeheartedly. Our numbers have gone down, but the "core" group that is here does a great job-including you!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Glenn you state "our numbers have gone down ". What do you mean?
    The usual "old" members and their active participation, or members of PS old and new?
    I thought PS membership was up.

Thank you Craig.

Well Said, Craig! Del, "Our numbers have gone down" means that activity in the forums has gone down substantially over the last 3 years or so. Membership numbers are indeed up, but right now the most active area of PinStack is the front page. I don't have raw numbers, and would not know how to get them, but 3 or 4 years ago we used to see 20 or 30 new forum posts per day, and that's when we were "BlackBerry Only". These days, the volume of posts in the forum are a lot less. I think there's even been a few days where there have been no new forum posts at all. However, that being said, this is a great site with great people and a very good knowledge base. I think our future is pretty bright!

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hear hear Mark. Thanks... My ignorance is due to my focus on the Homepage, lol!
    Regarding PS I consider it the most well balanced smartphone/pc site on the net. We're not pros, but PS is!
    Maybe new posts are down, but "consultation" must be up...
    Last edited by Delfim; 07-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Well said Mark and Del.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

We get, on average, 20-40 new members per day. I got tired of getting all the "new member" e-mails, so I have since turned them off.

However, as is the case on most sites, people sign up to look for a specific answer to something, then whether they find it or not, they move on. The key is getting them to stick around and participate.

Our front page has been awesome thanks to Mark, Del, and our newer contributors, but people have to be fans of PinStack on Facebook or followers on Twitter to get those news feeds. There's really nothing to draw them to those feeds. Sounds like we need to put links to those in our "welcome" e-mails.

Also, as Mark mentioned, there was something special about the site back in the day that kept people coming back. Sure our "competition" that are still BlackBerry-only sites are still going strong, but the claim to fame here was that not only were we knowledgeable, we had a "family friendly" atmosphere. We were (and still are) anxious and willing to help people quickly and in the most friendly manner possible. That's what separated us from the competition. There was no bashing or talking down to anyone. We had friendly competitions between Stack Pros to see who could answer someone's question the fastest.

People left in droves after Hayden changed us to an "all-smartphones" site. I have to admit that I was little put off by it initially, but in retrospect, it was a smart move on his part. While there are still the BlackBerry die hards out there, as it turns out, iPhone and Android have overtaken RIM and I can almost guarantee that many of those same people who were upset by the move have since gone from a BlackBerry to another device.....myself included.

I think it was shortsighted on their part to leave in such a huff, but there are people out there who just don't like change, I guess. I also think that a few of those folks have started trickling back here to PinStack. The word is starting to get out that what was once the best place to come for all things BlackBerry is now the place to come for all things SMARTPHONE! We still have some work to do here. We need to organize the site a little better for navigation purposes, and we're starting to work through that. Any suggestions or advice that you guys have is appreciated in that regard.

But, as Mark said, I also think our future is pretty bright, thanks to our loyal and faithful followers who have stuck with us! The fruits of our labor will be made apparent soon enough!

Thank you one and all!!

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I knew I could count on the top dogs to add much more to this than I could. I have watched the membership numbers at PinStack for a long time, owning my own site and having it open to membership, trying to get good participation was always a goal until a month or so ago. I now have an open site. I have in the past tried to no avail to convince site owners of the percentage of participation and always used PinStack as a marker worldwide. If you take the three quarter million members and look at who is on and how many guests it gets a bit frustrating. As Roger stated alot of people come here for a solution to a specific problem, and then they are gone.

Things have relaxed a bit, I am working alot on Torch themes, my site is on autopilot and I will be spending more time once again here among my friends.

I know I know, how many times am I going to say this, but that is the true point to all of this. I have never been able to stay away for long. Thanks once again to each and everyone of you for being a part of my internet life and friendship.

Roger keep up the great work and with our support all will once again be awesome. Hayden was not wrong in going Smartphone, I was a bit miffed myself being a bb junky, but it was for the better.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Well Said, Craig! Del, "Our numbers have gone down" ...Membership numbers are indeed up, but right now the most active area of PinStack is the front page....
    That's interesting. What attracted me to PinStack a few years ago was the front page and *only* the front page. To this day, my average pinstack experience is going to the front page 3-4 times a day, or sometimes checking it out via RSS feeds. For me, there are simply too many forums. An example even within blackberries -- there are just too many sub-forums. This is good on one side for people who only want to participate in a few very specific areas, but I feel like it turns off/away most people due to the sheer volume of information available. I am guessing most people think something like "i could never keep track/read/catch up on all of these" and at that point they simply don't participate anywhere.

Interesting observation, ventz and point well taken. There are those who think there should be a forum for every device, but I definitely see your point. As you pointed out for the BlackBerry forums, there are what, 20-30 different devices and a forum for each?

Individual forums make it easier for a user to post a question specific to their device, but having so many does tend to add to the clutter.

You can look at it like this......if there's one forum for BlackBerry, you would definitely almost HAVE to read the thread every day to see if there was something there that pertained to you. On the other hand, if there's a forum for your specific device, you don't have to wade through dozens of other posts......you just go to that one forum.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I agree entirely with ventz. It´s how you "dress" that attracts attention. And that´s the homepage of any site. Make it confusing and people just go go somewhere else. For this purpose, and if I can suggest something, even PS site looks too busy. It´s something a designer can correct.
    The simple form of PS in Hayden's day was, in my opinion, more appealing. Then he also made changes, and I remember at the time, many stackers left PS because of that. And many Mods and Pros did their best to correct things.

Rog if someone is indeed trying to alter something, my opinion could be an idea...keep it simple.
    Other stackers must also present their ideas, of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast