+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By chokem
  • 1 Post By RogerG

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ld-You-Pay-850... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Would You Pay $850 for an iPhone If Carrier Subsidies Disappeared?

Advertisement

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    More expensive than a lot of laptops. Apple makes a lot of profit at that price. People would still buy it for the elitist value

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I wonder Dave. IPhones would still be very popular. But at that price the US market would tumble down to EU levels. And that would be a few million less iPhones.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Not everybody buys Apple for the status perk. I could have any phone I want, but I CHOOSE Apple because in my opinion, it's the best device out there. I would wager that most Apple/Mac users are using them because they function well, not to be "cool".
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah I'm with Glenn here. I don't use an iPhone to be cool. I use it because it does what I need and does it well.
    Delfim likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Granted Glenn. But if you stick a high price tag on a iPhone (especially in the US) it will loose its glitter or the reason that it works well.
    I can find you figures for outside the US that price, only price, is the major determining factor. Regardless of the quality of the Apple product. Why is PC still dominant outside the US? Price and price alone. Everyone recognizes Apple's superior products, but only a minority can afford them.

PIN/ID
    nada
    But we haven't come to that point, the carriers still subsedize the price on all phones, at least here in the US.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^Yeah. It's good for business. What goes round comes round. Here, the mindset is different. Unfortunate, for us.

PIN/ID
    nada
    I do see your point. I was simply pointing out the fact that the majority of iPhone users use them because they're good devices.
    Delfim likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    My comment on the elitist value was more related to the price of $850. I am sure that buying an IPhone on contract where it is either a similar price or just slightly more expensive than other similar phones is an easy choice. You choose for the ease of use, design, capabilities, functionality, and decide based on what you can afford. In the end paying a few more dollars for something you want isn't too much of a problem. However for the majority of people if you suddenly are looking at a price of $850 then other cheaper options suddenly become far more attractive. Yes people who can afford it (whether we are talking elitist or just someone that really loves the phone) will still pay that sort of money but many wont. Look at phones like the Porsche Design Blackberry or the solid gold Nokia's, there is only one reason these are bought over the standard phone and that is to stand out in the crowd. Having said that Apple has an advantage in that they have built their clientele, many people have spent a lot of money on Apps, they like the way that the phone works, they enjoy the ease of surfing the web, they need it as a consumer device, in fact for many this may be their only device (no computer, no games consul) so it makes sense that they would be pay whatever the price, however they may not upgrade for every single release instead wait for significant changes.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd be using a flip phone. I can't afford 850.00 for a phone.
    Delfim likes this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd be using a flip phone. I can't afford 850.00 for a phone.
    It would be back to company issued phones, BB may do well again
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah Rog. In other words "Gee! I've eventually found my way back to my beloved BB".
    Mind you, I'd do the same. Correction - I should. The prices here are high...

PIN/ID
    nada
    Back to the workhorse BB9000.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I won't go back so much. The 9900 was great. I enjoyed it. I still do when I switch it on. But then that damn clock spinner makes me change my mind. iOs and Droid to blame...

+ Reply to Thread