+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...rom-the-iPhone... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: OPINION: Why I’m Not Switching from the iPhone

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I hope I mature one day...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Maturity is overrated.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Maturity is overrated.
    Those two comments have about as much to do with the article as the price of rice in Cambodia.

A lot of what he says is true. Most smartphone owners are not mature owners. Just as he says, it's their first or second smartphone. They're still trying out the OS. For most of us here that isn't true. We've been around long enough to get to know them all. Almost all of us have come to this site via BB. And for some that was our first true smartphone. We've watched the tech come, the advancements to the OS's and the fall of a few giants. For me, I'm in the same category as the author. I have yet to find a smartphone that makes me more productive in my daily routine. For me it's always been about productivity. The rest is just fun stuff. And by that measure, nothing is better than iOS for me. I'm very aware of the cool gimmicks that the others have and aware that on some aspects of what I need, they are better than what I'm using. I know, I've used them. As a whole though, nothing has made me want to switch.

He touched on what platforms will stand the test of time. For me I think that's pretty clear. Android and iOS. It will take a major game changer to come in and break that hold these two have on the market. I just can't see what that would be. Since 2007 when Apple changed the smartphone game and Google revamped their Android system to be more on par with what Apple had just introduced. It's been a two way battle. Maybe not at first, as BB was still the dominating factor. But as iOS grew and in 2008 with the release of the app store it was clear that this was the way forward. With Android growing rapidly and maturing with each release it was only a matter of time until BB became what they are today.

Ecosystems and Fragmentation. Two things that I see having a big impact on how the market will settle. I'll touch on the dreaded word first. Fragmentation. I think Google realizes that this is an issue. Especially with a family. I also think there moving towards a way to minimize so many devices on so many different versions. The more you can have on one version the better you are. It's a much better experience for the consumer and ten times better for the developers. It's going to allow them to create better apps and have a uniform experience across devices. Something that just isn't the case as of now but is slowly moving that way. I hope.
    Ecosystem, this is by far the most important aspect of sustainability in this market. And something Apple has the upper hand on at the moment. The whole package is becoming more and more important. With tablets and TV's to smartphones to PC's. They all need to work together seamlessly. Apple by far has the upper hand on this but Google could really throw a bomb in this sector if they wanted to. They have a powerful ally in the windows desktop. Along with Google services they could utilize this to build their system. They have touched on it but haven't fully tapped this resource just yet.

The Samsung factor. Samsung has copied Apples business model to a T. And who can blame them, it works and works well. We saw this with the release of the S4. Nothing ground breaking that made it stand above the S3 but evolution is far more important than revolution every year. They have the resources to make that ecosystem complete and are working hard to do so. From set top boxs that allow you to stream content right to you TV to a unified UI across all of their devices. It's Apple on Android. And it works and works well.

To conclude, while some will argue over Android and iOS. iOS has already won that fight. It's a Samsung vs Apple fight for customer retention and profits for the long haul.
    bmay82 likes this.

I wish I was mature...

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    I wish I was mature...

HAHAHA. It's been said that if you set your expectations accordingly, you'll never be disappointed.

I'm not disappointed.

Nor am I.

I OK only want to be mature so I can join the cool kids at the Apple table.

I hear they get cookies.

I'm tired of the gomments cheese.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Nor am I.

I OK only want to be mature so I can join the cool kids at the Apple table.

I hear they get cookies.

I'm tired of the gomments cheese.
    LMAO. Your disdain for Apple is so much that you can't see what this article is about. It has nothing to do about Apple. It has to do with what the author feels what's good for him. You can easily put yourself in his shoes and switch the article around. The entire article is about how the market is shifting one way then the other because people have yet to find what works best for them. Did you even read my first post??

Don't make me send you guys for a time out.

Lighten up, Brendon. We were just having a little fun with the maturity thing. I'm pretty sure we're smart enough to "get" what the article is about.

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Lighten up, Brendon. We were just having a little fun with the maturity thing. I'm pretty sure we're smart enough to "get" what the article is about.
    Last edited by BP41; 07-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.

^^^^ That's more like it.

Seriously, though, while the author has many valid points, he came across as a little pompous to me. I think that might be where the whole maturity joke came from.....like there's no way we could be as "mature" as he is when it comes to smartphones.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm immature AND I like both platforms. I'm still mad at Google or whomever caused my address book to be hacked...........really mad.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I'm immature AND I like both platforms. I'm still mad at Google or whomever caused my address book to be hacked...........really mad.
    When did your address book get hacked? And how was it jsut your address book?? It wasn't your entire Google account?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Not really sure on either count. I've had two folks in my address book receive bogus emails with my name but weird email addresses. Cats was one and my cousin received one today. I'm assuming it was my address book when I synced all my contacts and keep them backed up to google.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast