+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Capdot

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.php?r=5992-ESSAY... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: OPINION - Steve Jobs or Bill Gates: Who Will Be Remembered?

Advertisement

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Both.

We can remember as many as we would like. It's up to us not to forget what they gave or continue to give to the world.
    jfcooley likes this.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I believe they both will be remembered, but for there work as entrepreneurs. I doubt if anyone will remember Gates' charity work.

Everyone knows Thomas Edison's inventions, but I cannot name a single charity that Edison was involved in.

Even John D. Rockefeller, who was a resident of Cleveland and was involved in a lot of charity work, is more known around here for Standard Oil.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Bill Gates is still alive? :-D

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Bill Gates can be remembered for Windows, DOS, Microsoft, but also for his charity. People that do good are remembered. Do we know who invented the wheel? Edison was not that long ago How many people remember the person who invented radar or the computer? Do you remember Gandhi?
    Or how about the various Saints who were made Saints because of the good works they performed, I am not saying Bill Gates is a saint but I am sure that people in India who have survived thanks to the hospital he built will remember him, plus I am sure that he gets far more pleasure from being able to help people than from making money.

You can become rich and keep the money and want more money or you can share your good fortune and give back. I know which I believe is better

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Bill Gates can be remembered for Windows, DOS, Microsoft, but also for his charity. People that do good are remembered. Do we know who invented the wheel? Edison was not that long ago How many people remember the person who invented radar or the computer? Do you remember Gandhi?
    Or how about the various Saints who were made Saints because of the good works they performed, I am not saying Bill Gates is a saint but I am sure that people in India who have survived thanks to the hospital he built will remember him, plus I am sure that he gets far more pleasure from being able to help people than from making money.

You can become rich and keep the money and want more money or you can share your good fortune and give back. I know which I believe is better
    Maybe public education is different now. I know that when I attended public grade school in the 70s through early 80s, we learned about various inventors/entrepreneurs. There was no mention of charity work in terms of those people in the history/science classes. For example, I did not know until much later in life that Alexander Graham Bell had an interest in helping the deaf; invention of the telephone was all he was credited for in the textbooks.

Persons involved in charity work were only discussed in private religious instruction classes.
    Laura

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    All jokes aside, this is something I very much respect Bill Gates for -- his donations and charity work.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    All jokes aside, this is something I very much respect Bill Gates for -- his donations and charity work.
    I agree with you. However, I do not believe that the majority of people will remember him for charity work.
    Laura

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'll remember Gates for his charity, Job for his total dedication to being an asshat.
    (will admit he was a visionary and a leader in the tech field, but still...a big ol' asshat)

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Bill Gates and Microsoft at one time were not one of the nicest of companies but show me a billionaire that got there by being nice, hence the saying nice guys finish last. I always said I didn't want to be super rich just comfortable, my wife told me that's why we are not rich. Bill Gates has made up many fold for anything he did in the past to make the money, plus he pays his taxes and doesn't use accountants to find ways to avoid paying taxes unlike a lot of people I could mention.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    I'll remember Gates for his charity, Job for his total dedication to being an asshat.
    (will admit he was a visionary and a leader in the tech field, but still...a big ol' asshat)
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Bill Gates and Microsoft at one time were not one of the nicest of companies but show me a billionaire that got there by being nice, hence the saying nice guys finish last. I always said I didn't want to be super rich just comfortable, my wife told me that's why we are not rich. Bill Gates has made up many fold for anything he did in the past to make the money, plus he pays his taxes and doesn't use accountants to find ways to avoid paying taxes unlike a lot of people I could mention.
    Gates was not unlike Jobs during his time spent actively running Microsoft. Both Gates and Jobs were known for being rude and blunt when dealing with employees.
    Laura

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Gates was not unlike Jobs during his time spent actively running Microsoft. Both Gates and Jobs were known for being rude and blunt when dealing with employees.
    Point taken. Maybe then it's just me.

+ Reply to Thread