+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ally-a-Failure... Smartphone News forum

Article: Opinion: Is the BlackBerry PlayBook Really a Failure?

Advertisement

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Personally, I think it is the BEST designed 7" hardware I've ever seen. The battery can be a tiny bit better, but it's good overall. The OS is actually well designed and very intelligent. The browser can be a bit better (same problem as HP webos one -- not great for multi-tab browsing, card/window idea is great, but not for tab-like window browsing). The fast window switching is what apple has currently done with their latest OS (and latest iPad).Now, the bad part - Apps. They are horrible. Everything from the selection to the way the icons/reviews/advertised. The search is pretty bad (ex: try searching for 'ssh'. You don't get 'bssh' which is one of the best ssh clients).I think what would save them is if they open it up to android. They simply need a better app selection.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    If the BB10 devices share the same lack of Skype and Netflix that the Playbook has, the BB10 devices will not sell either.

The author seems to think RIM can slowly grow sales of BB10. He mentions that he thinks BB10 handsets will not sell initially, but will sell later. That is unrealistic. RIM does not have time to wait and hope they sell later. If BB10 handsets do not sell upon release, RIM is dead. RIM cannot have a repeat experience of the Playbook with the BB10 handsets.
    srl7741 likes this.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    If the BB10 devices share the same lack of Skype and Netflix that the Playbook has, the BB10 devices will not sell either.

The author seems to think RIM can slowly grow sales of BB10. He mentions that he thinks BB10 handsets will not sell initially, but will sell later. That is unrealistic. RIM does not have time to wait and hope they sell later. If BB10 handsets do not sell upon release, RIM is dead. RIM cannot have a repeat experience of the Playbook with the BB10 handsets.
    Really the whole success will depend on whether you can make phone calls on Skype or being able to watch movies on Netflix? So Microft who own Skype, and Netflix will make or break a company.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's always if this will happen that will happen. Al I know is if RIM launches something to correct something from 2 years ago, then they've had it. Today if something is wrong it's corrected immediately. Or if some hardware is over a year old, then it needs to change, regardless of the quality. Thats todays market demand.
    Now software,if BB10 is the savior of the Software on Playbook then probably BB11 will save BB10 and two years down the line we'll be looking for another saviour, BB12?
    RIM's mentality must change dammit...
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Really the whole success will depend on whether you can make phone calls on Skype or being able to watch movies on Netflix? So Microft who own Skype, and Netflix will make or break a company.
    I mainly mentioned Skype and Netflix, since those are the two big apps that BlackBerry lacks, but all other platforms offer.

If the "big name" apps are not present upon launch, consumers will not purchase BB10 devices. The average consumer is not interested in only email, organizer, and BBM.

Many BlackBerry apps are limited, compared to those same apps on other platforms. For instance, I have had the iheartradio app for the past 3 years. A new feature was added last year where users are able to create customized stations by picking their favorite artists. The custom stations do not exist in the BlackBerry version of the app. All of the other platforms (Android, iOS, Windows Phone) allow custom stations.

When consumers hear or see ads for specific apps, especially those that are from local or national companies that they use, and find out those companies' apps are "not for BlackBerry", those consumers will not give BlackBerry a second look.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    It's always if this will happen that will happen. Al I know is if RIM launches something to correct something from 2 years ago, then they've had it. Today if something is wrong it's corrected immediately. Or if some hardware is over a year old, then it needs to change, regardless of the quality. Thats todays market demand.
    Now software,if BB10 is the savior of the Software on Playbook then probably BB11 will save BB10 and two years down the line we'll be looking for another saviour, BB12?
    RIM's mentality must change dammit...
    Del the way I read the article is that the Playbook is the testing ground for BB10 as it is basically the OS we are using at the moment, plus it is getting the developers on board.

Laura, there are 75 million bb users who are using bb for precisely what you are saying people will not buy for, security email BBM and organizer. If you had a Playbook you would be surprised at how many Apps are on it and how many games are there, more are being added everyday. IOS did not have Netflix and Skype from the outset but because it has so many users more developers build for it. It is like everything it will take a while to get enough users. Don't kill it before it starts
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah you're right Dave. Sunday morning. Shouldn't comment so early without my dose of caffeine...

PIN/ID
    no more
    Del the way I read the article is that the Playbook is the testing ground for BB10 as it is basically the OS we are using at the moment, plus it is getting the developers on board.

Laura, there are 75 million bb users who are using bb for precisely what you are saying people will not buy for, security email BBM and organizer. If you had a Playbook you would be surprised at how many Apps are on it and how many games are there, more are being added everyday. IOS did not have Netflix and Skype from the outset but because it has so many users more developers build for it. It is like everything it will take a while to get enough users. Don't kill it before it starts
    I used a BlackBerry for 4 years, but left because it lacked the apps I wanted.

All other platforms do email and organizer tasks, and the "truncated due to size" never appears in emails. There is no advantage to BBM, when WhatsApp is cross-platform, and one has few or no BBM contacts any longer.

If I were to get a tablet, I would want a Windows RT tablet. BlackBerry lacks a sufficient ecosystem, even on the Playbook. Most of the new "apps" are really not even apps, just e-books. If I want an e-book, I will get it from amazon.com.

I think I gave BlackBerry enough of a chance. It would really need to wow me to get me to return.
    Laura

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I read that the same as dushdavj did but feel different about the 75 million users portion. Remove the data contracts holding many of those 75 million users and we would see a different picture.

How about we just for a moment remove all contracts and ask what would users chose if given that freedom? (Company or personal user).

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I read that the same as dushdavj did but feel different about the 75 million users portion. Remove the data contracts holding many of those 75 million users and we would see a different picture.

How about we just for a moment remove all contracts and ask what would users chose if given that freedom? (Company or personal user).
    Another thing to take into consideration: how many of those 75 million users are on prepaid "social plans" or cheap BIS plans in countries other than US and Canada? How many of those users got a BlackBerry because the carriers in their countries do not subsidize phones, and they could not afford an iPhone or a high-end Samsung? The cheap Curve might have been purchased because that's all those users could afford, but US consumers would not want that cheap Curve (which might not even be 3G capable, much less LTE capable). Many of the folks using those Curves outside of North America and Europe might also be using them for BBM as an alternative to SMS. They would not be interested that much in apps anyway, especially since many apps are only available in the US, Canada, and Europe.
    Laura

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I've got a buddy who has a new PlayBook, it's nice but the 7" screen is just too small in my opinion for a tablet.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I used a BlackBerry for 4 years, but left because it lacked the apps I wanted.

All other platforms do email and organizer tasks, and the "truncated due to size" never appears in emails. There is no advantage to BBM, when WhatsApp is cross-platform, and one has few or no BBM contacts any longer.

If I were to get a tablet, I would want a Windows RT tablet. BlackBerry lacks a sufficient ecosystem, even on the Playbook. Most of the new "apps" are really not even apps, just e-books. If I want an e-book, I will get it from amazon.com.

I think I gave BlackBerry enough of a chance. It would really need to wow me to get me to return.
    I can fully understand your frustration, but it is improving, you have moved to a Windows phone, and are probably now tied in for a while so see how you feel at the end of your contract. The number of Apps are increasing everyday and they are not E-books, They were at first but not now.

You look at the negatives. How many tablets have the bridge capability? I use bridge with my company phone to be able to check company emails and read attachments keeping it separate from personal emails, I have also performed presentations from my playbook and used my Torch as a remote control (I didn't have to buy any additional Apps to do this), can windows phones do this, or Apple or Android out out of the box with the Ipad or Android or Windows tablets? When traveling overseas it uses less data and to be honest I would not be downloading movies to much data. Security is also a big plus for me I use this for business and use it more and more, and my notebook less.

I am glad you are happy with your decision to move and that you are all happy with your choice of smartphone as I am happy with mine, but please understand the US is not the center of the universe, and not everyone wants to use their technology for playing games, watching movies etc. I use it to simplify my life, give me less to carry and work effectively (which the Playbook and BB do for me) I travel a lot for business I need something I can rely on, a phone I can drop and the worse that can happen is the battery door comes off taking out the tension (weakest point) whilst on other phones the weakest point is the screen which will break, which would be catastrophic in some of the places I find myself.

This is purely my opinion and I respect your choices as you should respect those that choose to use BB and are looking forward to BB10
    Delfim and lak611 like this.

PIN/ID
    no more
    I can fully understand your frustration, but it is improving, you have moved to a Windows phone, and are probably now tied in for a while so see how you feel at the end of your contract. The number of Apps are increasing everyday and they are not E-books, They were at first but not now.

You look at the negatives. How many tablets have the bridge capability? I use bridge with my company phone to be able to check company emails and read attachments keeping it separate from personal emails, I have also performed presentations from my playbook and used my Torch as a remote control (I didn't have to buy any additional Apps to do this), can windows phones do this, or Apple or Android out out of the box with the Ipad or Android or Windows tablets? When traveling overseas it uses less data and to be honest I would not be downloading movies to much data. Security is also a big plus for me I use this for business and use it more and more, and my notebook less.

I am glad you are happy with your decision to move and that you are all happy with your choice of smartphone as I am happy with mine, but please understand the US is not the center of the universe, and not everyone wants to use their technology for playing games, watching movies etc. I use it to simplify my life, give me less to carry and work effectively (which the Playbook and BB do for me) I travel a lot for business I need something I can rely on, a phone I can drop and the worse that can happen is the battery door comes off taking out the tension (weakest point) whilst on other phones the weakest point is the screen which will break, which would be catastrophic in some of the places I find myself.

This is purely my opinion and I respect your choices as you should respect those that choose to use BB and are looking forward to BB10
    That makes perfect sense. I am not a business user, and BlackBerry really has nothing to offer consumers who are not business users at this point. I have no disrespect for folks who use BlackBerry. It just does not offer anything that meets my needs as a consumer.

It is an advantage for business users in many cases. However, even some businesses have abandoned BlackBerry.

My cousin's husband was a BES admin at an international company with over 2000 users. They ditched BES last year and issued Android world phones to employees. My cousin's husband is now the mobile device admin.

I hope RIM is able to turn itself around, since competition is good for consumers. However, I do not see where folks who are not using BlackBerry for business would be attracted to it, due to its lacking ecosystem. Hopefully that will change after BlackBerry Jam.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-30-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    dushdavj likes this.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post

I would think most folks would choose iOS or Android if they had a choice.

When I was in school, one of my instructors was a network admin. His techs were given stipends toward the device of their choosing. They were pretty much split 50/50 between iPhones and Androids.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast