+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...hone-—-So-What... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: OPINION: I Chose the iPhone, You Chose an Android Phone — So What?

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    And that, my friends, is what we strive for here on PinStack, and why people should feel comfortable coming here for advice and assistance. We can agree to disagree and go about our business as friends.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Isn't it wonderful to have somewhere to go when you need some advice and help. Also isn't it great that there are choices, because it sure would be sad if there was only one.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah I second that Rog! Pinstcak Rocks! We´re civilized, humble and a respectful bunch and have a knowledge base like no other!

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    It is amazing to see the emotions that go into the iOS vs Android debate. The fact of the matter is, to the end user, there are far more similarities than differences. Sure there are some operational differences, but, for the most part, they're quite similar. Give an iPhone to someone that has used nothing but Android...they'll pretty easily figure out a way to do almost everything they're used to. Same with the reverse: give an Android to an iPhone user and they'll easily figure out how to use it. Some might argue that the similarities between them spawned all these lawsuits. There may be some truth to that, but, as I've tried to point out in other posts, I look at it as pushing innovation...and thats a good thing. My main point, again, is: neither iOS nor Android would be nearly as good today without the other. This whole thing seems like the Windows-MacIntosh battle, all over again, many years later (and there was that brief Windows-OS/2 skirmish way back when too, but that didn't last long).

The heading above says it all: personal preference is personal preference.

How I chose my smartphone may be different than most: I went with Android mostly because I had the opportunity to do some in-house development and I wanted to get the user experience before diving in. That and I didn't want to pay the predatory pricing of Verizon (and later AT and T).

Finally, I like the last paragraph: In general, we would all be better off if we learned how to disagree well. Politely agree to disagree and understand that it’s perfectly fine for people to have different interests, tastes and personal preferences. It makes the world a more interesting place.

Now, if only Apple and Samsung and Google would take that to heart and innovate, not litigate.

RogerG and chokem like this.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Here's the best statement of the article-

What is the best is a fundamentally subjective statement.

I agree.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Funny, the article makes some really good points and to all you Android and Apple users out there, you don't need to pity us Blackberry users, we know what we are doing

Seriously though this is an excellent article, truly we make our choices for what is best for us, and sometimes those choices are wrong, but that's what life is about, the thing to remember is to make the most of a wrong choice by learning from it, make the most of a right choice by learning from it, then we can all be happy.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Great article Del. I still think Android phones are inferior as well blackberry devices

Lemme give you the 411/information/update on me owning an iPhone 5

So, AT&T called me today. My phone came in. After all the reading and actually playing with the black iPhone I realized all phones I've owned have been black and not to mention the black iPhone is not that appealing I decided to go White and to return the phone....Gets better.

The sales rep told me we will have to charge you $35 for restocking fee and there was no way to waive it. So, I pulled a fast one and asked them if there was any way around the fee and went to check with his manager; he comes back and tells me Sir, we could give you $35 worth of accessories. I replied I already have my case and even my armband what else do you have I replied. Sir, anything you want; I said gift card, comeback=can't. I said screw it gimme a really nice bluetooth and they did . Got my fee waived, ordered my white iPhone and it should get here in a few days. Love AT&T; the only sucky part is that I had to leave the phone but hey who cares. I can wait; hell, I've already waited 15 days what's another 15? lol

Anywho, going back to the OP. While I was doing this whole returning/ordering/swapping phones today I saw an old friend this other customer brought in a Blackberry 9700 I almost cried from the good ol' days. He asked the sales rep as to what phone should/could he upgrade to. The first things that came outta this guy's mouth was "I want a Samsung Galaxy" the sales rep asked if she may ask why he chose that device and replied because he's read great reviews about it online.

These forums and like many out there are a great way to inform people of the pros/cons about these devices because they expect people to be knowledgeable about what they're talking about; nonetheless, you can't always believe what you read online. I believe on hands on experience per se.

So, going back to the guy replacing his Blackberry phone. He noticed I was exchanging my phone for the white one and began talking to me. I referred him to this website and hopefully he's reading this very thread and enjoys his stay here if he decides to join even as a lurker.

We all have our favorites just like teams we follow in all sports and will root for them whether they win or lose or fall short from delivering what we desire. In the end we must stick to what we believe in.

To you Blackberry/Android/Apple/Windows/etc... device user I tell you this. If you're happy with what you have let it be that way but don't discourage others by being negative about it; there are other ways of converting someone perhaps by pointing out the positives rather than mocking other platforms like this is superbowl of smartphones.
    RogerG, dushdavj and chokem like this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ^^^^ I can accept your comments on Android, but how could you be so cruel about the blackberry??? Seriously really good read, I think when you move from one platform to another there are always teething problems, plus a craving to return to the platform you are used to. Leaving the keyboard of the BB would be really difficult, yet have a fast browser plus loads of apps could be good compensation, clicking through various screens to get e-mail could be annoying but once it's opened in real HTML back to pleasing. The thing is all the phones are different just as we are all different, if we all liked the same thing, one person would be very busy with many many dates, just as if we all liked the same smartphone one company would be very rich and I bet we would see zero innovation, zero need for speed, etc

It's good to read different reviews, how different people love or hate their latest purchase.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Truth be told, I really don't want a world without iOS to compete with Android. Now I doubt it's a surprise but iOS has nothing I want, either in function or form. I don't believe for a second that it's inferior or a poor OS, nor do I believe the iPhone is either.

Like it or not Pinstack is one of the few websites where we talk and kid but seldom take it personally. Raton and Cap have some great comments, I love them. Chokem comes up with some good arguments. Never do I feel attacked by them, or do I believe any feel I'm dumb as a post for choosing Android. I know I respect all of them.

However we are the exception not the rule. To believe that outside of this forum and maybe our close friends and family there will be a touchy feely respectful world is folly.

Now.....iPhone sucks.
    dushdavj and chokem like this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Raton, I'm happy for you bro! Good luck! And yeah, a good read like Dave says.
    Now Jay, you made me read all that and then end it the way you do.
    You're a poor example for any PS newbie to follow.
    I'm gonna find a way of getting those 3 critters of yours to straighten their teeth on your Droid a**!

Seriously.
    Just sayin....

(Was joking about the suckage of the iPhone)

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Glad youre getting the i5 CT. As for the other statements made, I'm glad we're all passionate about the phones we use. After all, that's what brought us here in the first place. I know it's this passion that sometimes makes me come off a bit, how shall I say, overbearing. But I want you to know, I consider each one of you a friend, even when we disagree. Roger and I have been here a while now, it's changed and we've all changed too. I think the core of members and Stack Pros do a great job. And Rog, I've said this a dozen times, you're the tie that binds bro. All that being said, will you guys just get an iOS device and be done with it instead of those crappy Droids and Berrys? . Just kidding about the last statement, not about the rest. Carry on PinStack!!!!
    RogerG, raton and dushdavj like this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think that a big part of the "venom" that surrounds the iPhone vs Android debate, stems from the discussions taking place on-line. It's much more common for someone to tear into another person because of the OS that they prefer when they have the anonymity of the Internet to hide behind. I love the net and spend a significant amount of my time on it, but the reality is (at least from my POV) that the Internet allows people to say things that they may think in their inner monologue in RL, but would rarely ever really say. This debate is a great way to demonstrate how that happens.

Terri has a point.
    I'm ten foot tall and bulletproof online.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast