+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...one-users-data... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: NSA can reportedly tap smartphone users' data

Advertisement

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    The S in NSA means they can tap anything they want as long as it keeps idiots from blowing up my buildings and killing my friends

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I don't know.
    I have nothing to hide either and said the same thing at one time. Now I'm just not so sure.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I know one thing for sure, I have better things to do than worry about someone spying on my smartphone usage or what the content might be. They will fall asleep trying to figure out what mystery's I bring to the world

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    I really have nothing to hide but hope they are not wasting too much time looking at data from people like me and miss the guys they need to find. The only other thing I can say is I hope for those on limited data plans it doesn't add to their use by polling your phone for info

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    :sigh: ... it's crap reports like this one that news sites (CNET) should not be allowed to publish.

GROUND BREAKING NEWS: the NSA can enumerate 4-digit pins!!!
    (10^4) -- "mind blowing". Holy crap!!

Here is some real news:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...ong-passwords/

I'd really like to know what the EXACT criteria is for ones data to be targeted by the NSA.

As Cats said, as long as I and my family are safe. That holds water as long as those that can, don't abuse. Problems arise when we look at "those that can" being human. Humans are fallable and that scares the crap out of me.

All it takes, given the right circumstances, is the wrong person being in ythe right place with the wrong motive.

Snowden leaked. What if he'd been more motivated to share what he had with US enemies? While wed like to think there are measures in place to prevent that, he got it through admin rights and not true clearance. Rather his clearance didn't match the true needs of his job (read this, would cite source but its long gone...correct me if needed).

Motivations, like stopping terrorisim and such atrocities, are noble but what checks are in place to prevent misuse, and what triggers their use to begin with.

Casting a wide net, if that's the case, shouldn't cut it. There's little to no reason anyone's privacy or rights should be violated in attempts to stop a crime. If that's where the NSA is headed then I suspect we have much more we will give up.

I've learned not to believe my government 100%. I've learned that plotical motivations trump common sense and personal freedoms as long as people sit quietly and grumble to themselves.

If the NSA is afraid I'm going to blow up a building, have reasonable proof, then have at it. If they're afraid someone using Facebook is a danger and I'm caught up in it, then we need to chat....

At this point all these reports lead me wondering what the hell is happening. I am also to the point where I believe there is no such thing as internet security, anonymity, or.
    ..freedom.

Please correct me if any of this seems out there. I'd like to quell some of the growing paranoia...

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    I'm actually amused at the whole thing. Everyone has their panties in a wad because the US Government can access things YOU put on the internet and say during a text. They've been doing this for a very long time now. Before the internet, they were on landlines, listening for keywords. I would imagine that's it's the sane now. Keywords that stand out. There's no possible way that they are actually reading anything. Algorithms are in place on a computer than scans and matches keywords. Those get flagged for review.

What I find most humorous is, probably 95% of those that are upset, use FaceBook or Google. Two companies that USE YOUR information. YOUR searches, Scan your email and messages. All with the intent on SELLING that info for a profit. But yet, no one seems to care. They provide a service that they use everyday. To make life easy for you. Yet, they don't revise that programs the government has in place are for YOUR security so you may use those programs.

When the programs are used to oppress the people of the state. Then yes, it's an issue. China for example, or N.Korea.

I can opt out of that stuff, or block it.
    I can't stop my passwords from being cracked apparently, or my calls sifted through.

Unless I use tin cans and some tin foil....

I can't stop my passwords from being cracked apparently, or my calls sifted through.

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post

Just because you choose to not see it. Doesn't mean it's still not happening. Google doesn't stop scanning every word in your emails because you choose to block an ad. That's their business, they make money but selling you.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    BHP41++ (there is no like button for the comments)

Could not agree more with you.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    @BHP41 You might as well close this thread Roger because BHP41 is all over this article. I've been shaking my head from the start. Our x-mayor in Salt Lake City wants to file a gazillion law suits againt the government for snooping before and during the 2002 Winter Olympics. Somebody needs to put him in a straight jacket cause I would have been upset had they not been doing what they were doing.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I don't know how you get to that Roger I've looked and can not duplicate the address

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast