+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Originally Posted by rdills Looks like an army ready for world domination! You'll be back ... Smartphone News forum

PIN/ID
    Apple

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    Looks like an army ready for world domination! You'll be back soon BHP. Only a matter of time before an Android phone comes along that you can't resist. You too Cat!
    Wouldn't mind having another Nexus. I just haven't bought one because they don't fit in the ecosystem. IPhone,iPad,MacBook Pro, it all works together better than any windows/android could. Music,Productvity,Business,Finances,Ease of use, and Security.

You're right. I'll probably own another one. But it won't be activated. Just something to you around with. Same as the one that sits in my desk drawer now. I take it for time to time, play around with it for a few minutes them out it back in the drawer.

See, to me it's much bigger than that tiny pie chart will let you see. Sure Android grew. It it wasn't at the expense of Apple. Androids model has been to throw as many devices into the market as they can. It's inevitable they are going to be the market share leaders. You can't have that many phones out there and not. The problem is that they don't last and they are worth hardly nothing on resale because of supply and demand.

So who is loosing in this ? In my mind it's the consumers, i know I give you Android guys a hard time but it's all in fun. There is no doubt there are some great phones out there. The problem is that every day it gets more and more fragmented with year old devices not getting updates. The whole process unless you have a Nexus of getting updates. What's happening is you're getting the phone you bought with little to none support. Phone manufactures arent fighting with Apple, I don't think their share of the market will decrease anytime soon. It's likely to grow. Their fighting for sales on the Android front lines, against the plethora of devices out there. That's why you see them cheap and getting replaced in a less than a year. That's why there's little support because they don't make money off of software. They need you buying and they need other android customers buying there next phone. So they do what they know, throw the latest and greatest in it.

While the whole "but if you root it you can get custom ROMs, etc....." is nice. It's much the same as me telling someone who doesn't like apple, hey, if you jailbreak it'll do it this way. It makes no sense to the average customer because 90% don't know how,don't want to know how, or plain just don't have the time to. I think most people that use this argument forget that the majority of the population works and has family's. The farthest thing from there mind is smartphones. For the other 10% we're the ones that make the time for them. It's our hobby. We want to know the ends and out. Rooting and Jailbreaking is second nature to us. But we're not the majority.

I have one of my customers that's had multiple Android phones for the last 2 1/2 years. I came in last week, he was showing me a picture on his iPhone. I asked him,because this guy is one of those that has life going on and sure smartphones are nice but not to the point he want s to spend hours with them. "what made you go to a iPhone" his response. "there are things I like about Android but this one(iPhone) does what I ask it to when I ask it to. It works"

What I'm getting at is that while Android is growing like crazy look at their retention rate. Free and $99 deals only get you do far. There are some great high end stuff, Samsung gas done a good job. They never were fighting against Apple, they copied Apple to get a leg up on their competitors. Other Android manufactures.

I know that's kind of long and I don't want any getting offended. Decided to stay home today so I had some time. Lol

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wanna reply, think I'm expected to when you post Thankfully I understand where you come from now.

I agree with a few of your points, some not so much but they have something to them just the same. Unless the rain keeps me from working I have to keep this limited.

Fragmentation exists. So far though it seems that ICS will go towards ending that. Yes some older devices will miss out, and that strengthens your point, however most manufacturers are committing to upgrading those they can. It seems that Google wants to end fragmentation and ICS is the first step.

I agree with rooting, and am of the mindset that most shouldn't. But that's for later.

Good post BHP.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Wouldn't mind having another Nexus. I just haven't bought one because they don't fit in the ecosystem. IPhone,iPad,MacBook Pro, it all works together better than any windows/android could. Music,Productvity,Business,Finances,Ease of use, and Security.

You're right. I'll probably own another one. But it won't be activated. Just something to you around with. Same as the one that sits in my desk drawer now. I take it for time to time, play around with it for a few minutes them out it back in the drawer.
    Very good post BHP.
    ... and, vive lá difference.
    I do the same with all my Apple products.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Well said BHP! Thats why we can agree that there is no best OS, only whats best for you. If you've invested years of time, money, & know how in a particular OS, its almost crazy to jump ship just because another platform has a few more features. I may tease you ios guys from time to time, but I really respect iOS and the iPhone for rasing the bar. Other companies have been trying everything just to beat it. The results are great for the consumer, namely me! Now im about to have a 720p screen on my phone.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Well said BHP77, there are numerous other things that can be pointed out also, some favor Apple some favor Mongoloid.

When you think about many of the things worth noting essentially each new Android device is a "one off" device never to be updated because in 30 days another one is released to one up it in some way. What I'm trying to point out is your still favoring the traditional model the Carriers dictate. Google would like to break that and Apple has already but they made a criticle mistake when starting out by making Andriod free and open (kind of).

I hear rumblings tho sometime in the 3 dot numbers that may change. Google is trying but still falling short not really by their own doing it's the Carriers who are tearing up the true Google Andriod experience making it hard to fight Fragmentation which kills App development which hurts the user.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12