+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ift-Some-Power... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: The New Nokia Lumia Series / WP 8 Are Great. Now, Let´s Shift Some

Advertisement

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Attractive device.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well written, Del.

And you could basically take the names Research in Motion and BlackBerry and insert them into this article, because it's exactly what they will need to do to save themselves.

But for now, it's what Windows and Nokia are doing and as you said, if they market it correctly, it could go very well for them.

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Don't think it will happen. Microsoft has done such a poor job marketing Windows phones in the past and abandoning their prior user base every time they come up with a new mobile Windows. I just don't see them coming thru. Nokia could be the wild card, but their presence in the US has really dwindled the last couple of years; I could see them having more influence in Europe, but we'll see. (And if they keep putting out screen images like that yellow one with the almost yellow screen that's unreadable a few posts back, they can forget it.)

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Good article Del. I agree with you sort of as far as RIM is concerned possibly missing the boat with BB10. When they originally stated that it would be released in September I thought great, then I thought not so great since this would be the same time as Apple normally do their launches and with the hype that will be involved the press will go over the new I-device and show people lining up down the streets for days in advance to buy their new I-Gadget, RIM would not get a look in. Just look at the way that the new Nokia's and Motorola's are being reported, hardly any reports are 100% about the particular device, instead comments are made about how they will compare to the new IPhone all good marketing for Apple, which then leaves people thinking should I buy now or wait 10 days at get the latest and greatest which must be better because Apple in the past have truly been the leaders in innovation (Please not this is a sincere comment about Apple no sarcasm intended or implied!). Which brings me back to RIM, BB10 is way out of the fray, much as Hilary Clinton was a long way away from the Democratic convention (so no blame or competitiveness are there, thus sales will not be lost.

So RIM will then release in January February 2013, they may be hoping that it is the quiet season, everyone who jump when a new device comes out will have already purchased their toy played with it for a while, got board, want to try a new toy, along comes BB10 I suppose there is some logic there although I personally think they are going to have a very very (should I repeat very again) long hard battle uphill to claw back at the momentum they have lost by delaying the launch.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    BB still has lots of "afficionados" lurking and waiting, that I´m sure. They are waiting in the wings to see how it all pans out.
    The launch date in the 1st quarter of a new year, is never a good idea. The folks are broke so soon after the holiday season. If RIM even thought about anticipating the launch date, lets say, for the holiday seaon, now is the time to start with well placed news snippets, lift expectations and rumors, not a about the product itself, but the possibility of giving the smartphone world a timely new OS at an earlier date.
    I know they´ve started carrying the message and trying to sign deals with the carriers in the US. I heard also that it´s also happening in Europe with the major carriers.
    Although the article was about Windows 8 and the new Windows Phone, I can easily copy/paste the marketing section and use it for RIM. The rules are there, they don´t change, and there are abundant marketing examples from the tech world for anyone to follow.
    RIM, within its circle of influence, must just start this type of buzz rolling. And they must do it now.
    RIM must invest in press relations, create new ones, get these pundits interested, commited, even if takes quite an investment at this time. But "buying" a marketing scheme is usually no more than 1% to 1.5% of a major project´s budget. It´s nothing really. If they do it right, then the marketing takes off on its own, with everyone, and it usually snowballs if the interest is well sown.
    Anyway, as much as Hillary didn´t make it to Charlotte, maybe with the GOP winning in November, RIM will be swept by the euphoria of everyone being rich again ( in spirit) , come March 2013.
    Last edited by Delfim; 09-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread