+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dushdavj

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.php?r=5875-Motorola... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Motorola Gives Up Feature Phones By The End Of 2012

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Does that mean their values will go up since they won't be made any more? I have my wife's pink RAZR for sale if anyone's interested.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I would keep it. Pink on top of it. Wow. The Smithsonian will come and get it...

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I would not be surprised if Motorola (and other handset makers) ditch feature phones. My mother still uses one and needed a new one. It took 3 weeks to order it. The AT&T rep said orders of feature phones take a while, since there is such little demand for them. The majority of customers want smartphones.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...and in a few (maybe 5 years at the most) something else will replace smartphones. What it will be, I don´t know.
    Maybe telepathy... and holography. Or something embedded beneath our skin. Ufff...! Facebook will evolve to Skinbook and iOS will be implanted as a virus...diosbetes !
    Mark my words.

I wouldn't be surprised if a single company like Moto stopped making feature phones, but I would be very surprised if the industry as a whole dropped feature phones. There are a lot of people that I encounter every day in passing (for example, on the bus or at my work) and in conversation that would just like a phone to use to make calls. Also, I work in a downtown area, and looking around I always see a lot more feature phones in use than smartphones "on the streets".

What I'm thinking is that if the larger manufacturers, like Motorola, and the larger carriers, like Verizon, place their emphasis solely on smartphones then other companies will fill in the slack by offering feature phones. I would think that it would separate into two almost separate industries, rather than the feature phone segment dying off.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    I see feature phones becoming something offered by MNVOs, rather than the "Big 4" carriers in the US. They will probably be sold in Walmart, Target, and the gas station rather than in the carrier stores. The carrier stores will move toward smartphones exclusively, since that it what generates the most profit.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    ...and in a few (maybe 5 years at the most) something else will replace smartphones. What it will be, I don´t know.
    Maybe telepathy... and holography. Or something embedded beneath our skin. Ufff...! Facebook will evolve to Skinbook and iOS will be implanted as a virus...diosbetes !
    Mark my words.
    No sunspots will destroy all satellite coverage, global warming followers will stop oil production and any cheap plastic offshoots, plant based plastics will be too expensive and will have been banned as they use up the food production, heating will no longer be available and the safest place to live will be in caves so we will no longer require any form of cellular communication instead we will use phone booths where available, and hold onto our bicycles whilst calling to avoid them being stolen.

Advances in technology can only happen in a free and open society without restrictions, and control of government. Scientists need a reason to develop new technology, and doing things for people living in their parents basements vegetating on computers is not a good reason.
    Delfim likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

+ Reply to Thread