+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

I blame MS for a lot of that. The average consumer would not have much ... Smartphone News forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Advertisement

I blame MS for a lot of that. The average consumer would not have much of a clue of the difference between: Home Premium, Ultimate, Professional, Starter, and Home Basic editions of Windows. Nor would the average consumer understand the difference between: Starter, Home & Student, Home & Business, Standard, and Professional editions of MS Office.
    I agree 100%, I don't consider myself to be the average consumer since I have been using PC's since the very first one was on the market, and Windows since the early days of a dreaded blue screen after every mouse click, and returning to DOS, but I found it difficult to decide which version of Windows and Office I wanted to purchase
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Well I am probably guilty of being both stupid and ignorant, but it doesn't change my opinion on the Playbook. I am not so wild about my 9800 would prefer a 9900 but it will be a while
    Dave, I meant ME when I stated that. There's no other meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I don't understand the "having access to the file system" idea? Can someone tell me more about why this is something that still remains important to some users?

Having access allows us to view tons of files/folders with file, finally navigating to the one we need then selecting it, opening it and view/continue working with it.

Having no access to the file system you open the Application that is used to view/work with the file and we have the same results.

I don't get-it? It's the same results. Don't tell me hacking/rooting/JB-ing b/c that has nothing to do with my question.

Great review!
    Thanks!

In my circumstance, I have 5000+ photographs on the PlayBook. I am unable to create folders, move pictures from one folder to another, rename pictures, etc. in order to keep them organized on the device. This is unavailable both through the pictues app, and the File Manager. Instead, I need to do that work from a PC with the PlayBook in mass storage mode. The PlayBook will display the folders and contents, but allows no editing of the structure or the file names. I will be searching for apps at BB App World this afternoon (both File Manager apps and Photo apps) that may help with this.
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 05-09-2012 at 06:27 PM.

This conversation (in many ways) goes back to some previous smartphone conversations we have had in the past. Every person has a unique and legitimate need when it comes to their devices, and these needs/wants are different from person to person. The PlayBook, therefore, just like any other Tablet, is absolutely perfect for some people - and astonishingly incomplete for others. Right now, I have all my songs, photos and videos aboard it; I like the word processor; The security is top-notch; I have all 5 email accounts working on it; the Calendar (which syncs with Google) is actually better than the old BB calendar; the Camera/Video capabilities are niiiiice; all my sensitive info is stored on Word docs; and, one thing I did not mention in the review, games on this device are scary-good. Driving a car through the streets by tilting is amazing on this device.

The Bridge is great, but it is an additional app and I find the PlayBook to be quite complete without it. The Bridge was handy on my first day so I could copy/paste my memos from Memo Pad on the 9780 to Word on the Tab, but after that I haven't been using it. I may try some things on the bridge down the road (the remote control function looks cool).

In comparing tablets, everyone will have a different opinion, and every opinion is valid. What we need to realize is that these devices are diverse in focus, or even in purpose, so different people will always treasure different devices. For me, this PlayBook is complete now, with the exception of a few extra apps I'm gonna hunt up.
    dushdavj and lak611 like this.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Mark, as I have said before there are lots of File managers available for the Playbook which would certainly make your life easier for renaming the individual file, make and deleting folders, zipping and unzipping files, handling files on a multitude of cloud services. Some of them are free others cost money $1.99 or $2.99. One of the complaints I have of the PlayBook is the native file manager that comes with it is not powerful enough, it finds files it opens them but you cannot manipulate them.

So I recommend the following:

Air Browser - Playbook App -not Android so can multitask. Allows you to Copy, Cut, Paste files and folders, delete, rename, files and folders, Open files with the native app, Zip and unzip files, has a built in text editor, works in Landscape or Portrait mode and has a search engine. Extremely nice especially as it is Free.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...43867/?lang=en

Then there is Files and Folders which can do everything Air Browser can, plus you have access to many of the online Cloud services with copy and paste capabilities. This one I use all the time cost is $2.99

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...49236/?lang=en

The other one I like is My File Manager - this one doesn't give you cloud access but does let you browse your pictures as thumbnails, copy, paste, delete, move in this mode is pretty useful, plus you can rename individual files. Cost is $1.99

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...44958/?lang=en

I actually use Files and Folders and My File Manager, I removed Air Browser in the end as I didn't need 3 file managers. I still do handle the files on the computer but not so often, more when I want to rename a lot of files, or backup files, but the majority of file maintenance I can now perform on the PlayBook. I believe spending less than $5 on two extremely useful File managers was worthwhile
    Mark Stone likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

^^^^^Thanks Dave!!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I agree with almost everything in this review - especially the pro/cons.The only thing that surprises me is the "heavy" note. I don't think it's heavy at all. The thing that bothers me the most is the absence of good apps. And yes, the keyboard is better than the bold.

papareyenc no está en línea Stack level 3
    Always enjoy such a healthy exchange. Very helpful too.
    dushdavj likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12