+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...PlayBook-.-.-.... Smartphone News forum

Article: Modern Mark Reviews the BlackBerry PlayBook . . .

Advertisement

jfcooley and lak611 like this.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    What is the weight of the Playbook? How does the weight compare to that of other 7" tablets?I would have to believe it is a lot lighter than 10" tablets like the iPad. A few people I know who have iPads say the weight of the iPad is its biggest drawback, especially for reading in bed.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice review, Mark!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    +1 Mark.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Definitely lighter than the Ipad . Good review Mark. With regards to using your computer for mass storage I haven't had any problems since I had th. Playbook which was over a year ago. To access the file system you need a File manager, there are several that work really well. Love the Playbook and it's getting more Apps everyday

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    It's a good review. Thanks Mark.But i'll have to voice this: it's amazing to note how happy you (and I suppose, all other users of BB are) with its functions, albeit necessary for some work arounds. And happy with an incomplete tool. What a compromise...iPad and Android tablet users have all the features, and then some, hassle free. They are all there and they all work. We will not accept anything less.As much as the Playbook may satisfy some people, it will never be an alternative to any of the tablets available.RIM better do something...

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I don't understand the "having access to the file system" idea? Can someone tell me more about why this is something that still remains important to some users?

Having access allows us to view tons of files/folders with file, finally navigating to the one we need then selecting it, opening it and view/continue working with it.

Having no access to the file system you open the Application that is used to view/work with the file and we have the same results.

I don't get-it? It's the same results. Don't tell me hacking/rooting/JB-ing b/c that has nothing to do with my question.

Great review!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    It's a good review. Thanks Mark.But i'll have to voice this: it's amazing to note how happy you (and I suppose, all other users of BB are) with its functions, albeit necessary for some work arounds. And happy with an incomplete tool. What a compromise...iPad and Android tablet users have all the features, and then some, hassle free. They are all there and they all work. We will not accept anything less.As much as the Playbook may satisfy some people, it will never be an alternative to any of the tablets available.RIM better do something...
    Del, I use both an IPad2 and the PlayBook and find the PlayBook a far better tool, certainly not an incomplete tool as you put it. Ok if I need to do something on the IPad2 like open spreadsheets, word documents, perform a powerpoint presentation, read a PDF file, I can do so by searching the ITunes store, examining a lot of different options, google the various Apps to see which one is the best and then purchase it to do the work, I cannot do it straight out of the box (does this not make the IPad2 incomplete???). With regards to an Android tablet I cannot comment since I have not used one. with the Playbook however I have the capability of doing all of the above the moment I take it out of the box, without paying any extra and have a 64 Gb model at about $300-400 less than the other tablets on the market. Now add the capability to easily bridge it to my BB and read all of my work e-mails, BBM, open files on the Playbook from the phone send links and open them on the Playbook browser, run a presentation using an HDMI cable from my Playbook using my phone to control it and use the phone as a trackpad in addition to using the keyboard on the phone to type comments, all at no extra cost, (can you do this on the other tablets without purchasing additional applications and do they run smoothly???)

The problem here is that a lot of negative comments come out from people that have not used the Playbook, so do not see what it can do on a daily basis. The Playbook OS is extremely good and in my opinion better than IOS for what I use it. More Apps are coming out everyday, the file system is as easy to access as any PC file system the processor is fast, the camera brilliant. So please tell me what workarounds are required to make it work that you do not have to do on other tablets and where is it an incomplete tool? I accept that it may not be the right tool for you and obviously the functionality of the Bridge is not available if you do not have a Blackberry phone, but then a lot of that functionality is not on other tablets anyway. I look forward to reading your comments
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    ...Now add the capability to easily bridge it to my BB and read all of my work e-mails, BBM, open files on the Playbook from the phone send links and open them on the Playbook browser, run a presentation using an HDMI cable from my Playbook using my phone to control it ...

.... So please tell me what workarounds are required to make it work that you do not have to do on other tablets and where is it an incomplete tool? I accept that it may not be the right tool for you ...
    Dave, I've had the opportunity to test it, and I didn't. Solely because I had to have a BB telephone to compliment it, or in this case, to complete the functions.
    With Android I don't need this. With iOs I don't need this. All my data, mails, contacts, notes, tasks are all there and ready to use when I plug it in and sync whatever I have on Google or even on Apple. My docs also, whatever their format. I can send mails, change or add contacts, access documents, edit, create etc. I don't need the iPhone or the Sammy, to complete the circle. I do have the tablets with WiFi and 3G, but if I hadn't , both the iOs and the Droid would supply a VPN point, a Hotspot. Via Mac or Windows, I can access the phones or the tablets, and the opposite is true, my PC (Mac or Win) can also access the file system of the tablet or the phones.

So what I want to say is this: All I need, or basically, what anyone needs, is available. Right there. You don't need a phone to make it work fully. Only to make calls.

Or like what happened to me recently, when I forgot (unbelievable but true) my phone at home and just had the Droid tablet. I was in contact with all and sundry. I didn't have a phone. It didn't matter.

Let me add this: If I take my Droid or iPhone I have access to everything I have on the PC and on the Tablets. If I carry the tablets (and forget my phone) I have access to everything I have on the iPhone or Droid and PC. I just can't make calls.
    I don't have the need, and I don't want the burden, to carry them both.
    Last edited by Delfim; 05-09-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added text.

PIN/ID
    no more
    I would say "complete" or "incomplete" depends on opinion only. A PC will not open spreadsheets, word documents, or powerpoint presentations without installation of additional software (MS Office, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc). Does that mean the PC is incomplete?

Is Linux more complete than Windows, since most Linux distros include LibreOffice software in the installation CD or DVD?

Is Linux more complete than Windows, since LibreOffice is free, whereas MS Office is paid software?
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Del, you forgot your phone???????? Aarrrggh, sorry just got carried away

Blackberry Playbook. I can access all my Gmail on my native e-mail client without my BB. I can also access any other e-mail I want using the native client, I chose not to add my company e-mail address rather use the bridge capability keeping work and personal life separate. If I don't have my phone with me I can connect via wifi and read the company e-mail on the browser if I so wish. I have used the Tether capability built in the PlayBook to connect to the web through my daughters Android, much that same as I could have done on the IPad2. I can also access Google Docs and use them, just as you do, if I had all my contacts on GMail on the web I would have no problem syncing them to the native contacts on the Playbook, same with notes etc. I don't but then I have never used notes on my BB, I have always kept everything in Word format which I have no problem syncing, I also have no problem syncing and using PDF documents, PowerPoint Documents and Excel spread sheets. I repeat I do not need the BB to make it work properly, that just gives added functionality. The Playbook I have is a WiFi one, but I have a MiFi unit which allows me to connect up to 5 devices to the web if there is no Wifi. I only use the BB with the PlayBook if I am doing presentations and want the capability to control it at a distance, or as I said I want to view my work e-mails on a larger screen without compromising security since I do not have them on the Playbook, they are all left on the phone, and on my PC, if I were to loose my phone the IT guys would immediately wipe it, security you know.

I still do not see your point, I can do everything you are suggesting on the PlayBook without the BB, I admit I could not do this with the original OS, but I can on OS2.

RIM will be releasing a tablet with 3G. The cost of the IPad2 with 3G which we have is about 3 times the cost of my PlayBook, plus the contract for the 3G is higher than the Mifi unit I have.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I would say "complete" or "incomplete" depends on opinion only. A PC will not open spreadsheets, word documents, or powerpoint presentations without installation of additional software (MS Office, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc). Does that mean the PC is incomplete?

Is Linux more complete than Windows, since most Linux distros include LibreOffice software in the installation CD or DVD?

Is Linux more complete than Windows, since LibreOffice is free, whereas MS Office is paid software?
    Laura, it really depends, if you were sold a laptop computer being told that it can do what you want it to then technically you should not have to buy additional software, thus the Linux version would technically be more complete. Most Windows laptops come with a very cheap version of note taking software, but it does annoy me, when I am told how cheap the laptop is only to find I would have to pay an additional $400 to make it really useful. To me it is rather like selling a car without wheels, does the engine run yes, does it get me anywhere no.

In the end I see the point you are making but it is more a matter of marketing and all the bulls@$t you get from the sales people saying it can do everything you want without actually mentioning what you extra items you need to buy to get it going. How many people have taken their PC's home clicked on Word only to find that they now need to purchase it and felt they had been conned in one way or another?

Del stated that the Playbook was incomplete, for reasons of an e-mail client, syncing with Google (which it can do). It is all relative and we are each happy with what we have, for our own uses, my wife likes here IPAD2, I like my PlayBook we both use them differently, the PlayBook however gets to go out more
    lak611 likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ... I can do everything you are suggesting on the PlayBook without the BB, I admit I could not do this with the original OS, but I can on OS2.

RIM will be releasing a tablet with 3G. The cost of the IPad2 with 3G which we have is about 3 times the cost of my PlayBook, plus the contract for the 3G is higher than the Mifi unit I have.
    Ok. I stand corrected then.
    I rather be ignorant than stupid. A wise man used to say (he was my Dad): an ignorant person has the inherent human trait of wanting to learn. A stupid one, on the other hand, knows everything already.
    It's good to know you can do all this...with the OS2.
    Here, between 3G and MiFi the costs are the same, so no need to carry extra stuff with me. The 3G is sufficient for the tablets, although for the PC I have LTE/4G which, for the same cost, runs at speeds that are crazy... As far a hotspot, the Droid can become a hub for a few, but I avoid using the facility.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Laura, it really depends, if you were sold a laptop computer being told that it can do what you want it to then technically you should not have to buy additional software, thus the Linux version would technically be more complete. Most Windows laptops come with a very cheap version of note taking software, but it does annoy me, when I am told how cheap the laptop is only to find I would have to pay an additional $400 to make it really useful. To me it is rather like selling a car without wheels, does the engine run yes, does it get me anywhere no.
    Yes, I remember MS Works. It was a completely useless SW that did not have much functionality.

In the end I see the point you are making but it is more a matter of marketing and all the bulls@$t you get from the sales people saying it can do everything you want without actually mentioning what you extra items you need to buy to get it going. How many people have taken their PC's home clicked on Word only to find that they now need to purchase it and felt they had been conned in one way or another?
    I blame MS for a lot of that. The average consumer would not have much of a clue of the difference between: Home Premium, Ultimate, Professional, Starter, and Home Basic editions of Windows. Nor would the average consumer understand the difference between: Starter, Home & Student, Home & Business, Standard, and Professional editions of MS Office.

Thankfully, it appears that Microsoft is going to simplify the process at least with Windows 8, since there will only be 2 different desktop editions of Windows 8.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I rather be ignorant than stupid. A wise man used to say (he was my Dad): an ignorant person has the inherent human trait of wanting to learn. A stupid one, on the other hand, knows everything already
    Well I am probably guilty of being both stupid and ignorant, but it doesn't change my opinion on the Playbook. I am not so wild about my 9800 would prefer a 9900 but it will be a while

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast