You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-the-9700-Bold... Smartphone News forum
Article: Modern Mark Reviews the 9700 Bold
wow. Very in depth, I almost feel like getting me a BOLD 9700 now!
Nice review Mark. I was thinking heavily about this device, but aside from the 3G, there's not a huge difference between it and my 8900. Aside from the fact that my 8900 isn't even a year old and T-Mo has discontinued it.
Very informative and precise review. This only validates even further what us 9700 owners have been saying. Excellent job.
LOL @ Hayden!
Well done, Mark. Even though the device has been out for awhile already, your review has renewed the excitement us "old-timers" had when we first got ours! :smile: Thanks for that! I do love my 9700.
Yup, that was how I felt the first few weeks after getting the 9700 after using the 9000 for 6 months. Actually, I still do. 9700 is the greatest BlackBerry ever made!!!
Mark i think you should have gotten this device back in November '09 when it came out. You could have changed a lot of peoples mind and a lot more would have gone with the 9700. Great review!
Great review Mark. You are not the first of the long time users to not be pleased with the threaded SMS. Personally, I loved it, but maybe some time they will make it an option for the user to decide. I agree that saying goodbye to the trackball was a very smart move for RIM, I imagine there are far fewer device returns because of this. Glad you are enjoying the speed and power of your new BB.
Great review, Mark. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Looking back on my short time with the 9700, I agree. I had one for a few months but I couldn't take the T-Mobile (lack of) coverage in my area so I sold it. The phone, however, was a great.
Very nice review. I've had my 9700 since Christmas and I agree that it's the best BB ever. Granted, I've had a few unexplained events, but then again I can break anything electronic (I've had that power since High School).
Mark Stone, buddy, you´re my pal ! Great review, great phone !
I feel vindicated with this in depth analysis, and after my initial review of the 9700 in November 2009, which wasn´t as complete as this one.
Your analogy of the OS with Symbian, somehow bugged me, but that´s because I love BB too much...
Good review, thanks. I think some warnings are in order, however.
This is the 5th Blackberry I have owned, and it is far and away the most irritating. I wish my 8700 hadn't died, or I would go back to using it in a heartbeat. I'm going to take a good hard look at the Microsoft phone when it comes out later this year.
The software on this thing is BUGGY as all get out.
Problems I see on a daily basis:
1) Crashes - the red light goes on, the phone freezes, and blammo, black screen. This unit takes a really long time to reboot (on the order of a couple of minutes) and when it decides to reboot itself three+ times in a row, you're waiting for a really long time to get your phone back.
2) Messages "disappearing" from the message list. They're still there, and I can find them if I search for them, but every once in a while, everything older than the past day or two disappears off of the bottom. Sometimes a battery pull brings them back, sometimes it doesn't. They have always come back eventually, though sometimes it takes several hours for the device to decide to let me scroll through them again.
3) Dropping call with full signal strength: dialy. I'm on T-Mobile, and have had calls drop while standing outside with full bars. This didn't happen with previous berries. I got a new SIM card and the problem reduced, but is still very much present.
4) Threaded messaging disaster: as you point out, you can't get out of threaded messaging, which, if you're a big SMS user (as I am) is a huge problem, and this phone will make you crazy. Messages appear 0, 1, or 2 times in my message list. I regularly receive messages that I cannot open (clicking on them does nothing, they just sit there unread. I have to compose a message back to the sender in order to read their message). If you are a Twitter user and receive a high volume of tweets via SMS, not only does the phone eventually lose them (or better yet, go into an infinite loop as you scroll upwards, so that you start seeing your recent messages at the top of the list), but your phone will crash. I had to switch to UberTwitter just to keep the phone from going down all the time. The message list also jumps to the bottom when a new message arrives, so if you're reading something earlier and a new message comes in, too bad, you have to find it again.
5) Form factor/keyboard: you are obviously a "2-thumbs" guy when you type. I hold the berry in my right hand and type with one thumb, and this keyboard is *very* bad for that. The keys on the left are curved for a left thumb, instead of being flat like on previous keyboards. Getting the 'a' key to press reliably is a big problem.
Two other points: when you are upgrading from a previous berry, your profiles will disappear. They changed the scheme for how profiles work to "Contact Alerts" and they don't upgrade. I had a lot of profiles that I had to re-create by hand. Also, if you are a T-Mobile user, be careful when buying a new phone. Despite making it clear that I didn't want any contract modification, they took off all the unlimited stuff and hit me with a $1500 bill for one month. This happened to two other people I know too, coincidentally when upgrading to this phone. So just be careful.
I have encountered zero of the issues you described. Either I have an exemplary device or you have a bad one.
Welcome to PinStack, Robert!
Thanks for the post, however most of the things you are describing should not be happening and would warrant a replacement device.
Also, while I'm on AT&T, I upgrade to the 9700 from the 8310 and did NOT lose any of my profiles. The switch was seamless.
Seriously, have you checked into getting your device replaced?
agreeing with robretre..
Originally Posted by Robertre
i have to agree with him, i have had problems with the 9700 as well. i am on my sixth one. i am still having problems with it...