+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By richmo58
  • 1 Post By Delfim
  • 1 Post By richmo58

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...steries-Remain... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Microsoft Surface: The Price Is Out but Mysteries Remain

Advertisement

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    It seems a little expensive to me. With the iPad at a similar price, and high quality Android tabs somewhat less, there's going to have to be some killer apps available right away. iPad and Android had the advantage of being first to the party and now Microsoft is trying to get their foot in the door. I had thought they'd come in at a lower price point. If the $499 had included some form of the keyboard, they'd have a good way to combat iPad. For now, I just don't see it.
    RogerG likes this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Microsoft has something going for them. Its Office. That will be the major draw. As for pricing I was hoping for a lower selling price, especially here in Europe where the retail will be somewhat higher than in the US.

Good point about Office. Maybe thats the killer app. However, if I'm working with Word, for instance, I'm likely to be into fairly heavy typing; and I think I'd rather be on a traditional PC or laptop for that. Where the Surface is priced (with keyboard), they're getting real close to ultrabook territory -- for my money, I'd rather have an ultrabook, especially if I'm using Office.

But maybe I'm wrong about all of this; I read somewhere that Microsoft sold out their pre-orders already (how many units that represents I have no idea)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    No matter how good the tablet or its price, as Rich said, if you're going to be using Word, there's no way you'll be able to get the best use out of it without a keyboard. If the Surface prices included a keyboard, that's a whole new ballgame.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yes Roger, I fully agree. But richmo has a point. It´s better using a Ultrabook and with a solid state memory. It´s quick to boot and switch off, holds battery for at least 6 hours. I have a Portégé (128gb) with all my essential stuff in it and then some. It´s light (1,1kg). All my music, movies, books, archive docs etc I carry in a 500Gb disc which I use when necessary. And that´s like 5% of the time or less.
    And lately I work solely IN Google Drive for all docs. Word, Excel or Powerpoint. Everything works fine, syncs to all my PCs and I share if I need to. Amazingly, just this, cuts my total time on PC drastically. And I got my "new" office staff working together on this. The unnecessary trips back and forth to update or change or edit is not a problem any longer.
    I'm sure that the Surface will be able to do all that. The keyboard is a necessary feature to add so you can work on the move. Which leaves the price...and for that you can get an Ultrabook that has many other features you won´t get on a tablet.
    RogerG likes this.

Good points everyone. It seems to me Microsoft should be almost like a drug dealer here. They are primarily a software company and they are the most invested in getting Windows 8 out on as many platforms as they can. I know they don't want to and maybe can't take a big loss on each Surface that goes out, but if they price it low, they'll sell like crazy and maybe they could hook the public on Windows 8, then make the device more expensive down the road, if they need to. Once you get a large population hooked on your OS, they'll come back for more. Amazon is kind of doing this with the Fire; they're willing to sell the device at low/no profit, hoping you'll come back and buy software/books/Prime, etc. At $499, my reaction is: nah.
    RogerG likes this.

+ Reply to Thread