+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...PC-Than-Tablet... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Microsoft Surface Pro, the Surface That’s More PC Than Tablet

Advertisement

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Too bad the usable space of the Pro isn't near what the total space is. At least you can add another 64gb with a microSD card.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The problem is the price as well. It´s too expensive I think.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yeah, I can get a base Dell Ultrabook (still with damn good specs) for 1299.

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm not sure about all this. The Surface Pro looks impressive, but I just don't see this as a laptop replacement. And at the high price, I would expect it to replace the laptop. $1000 is too much for a toy.

I understand I'm behind the times, but sometimes I need an optical drive. How am I supposed to pop in a DVD to watch? I don't buy a lot of off the shelf software, but how am I supposed to install that TurboTax CD every year? I suppose an external USB drive will be available, but that'll be another expense. And what's with the one USB port? I'll need that for the printer (no I don't have a wifi printer yet). Add a mouse or an external flash drive? Now I need an external USB splitter. (To be fair, I guess an Ultrabook would only have 1 USB port as well?) For me to replace my laptop, I would need a Surface Pro plus a bag of junk.

Roger brings up a very good point. At the price point of the Surface Pro, you can get a decent Ultrabook. And that has the optical drive and decent internal storage that the Surface doesn't have. Even below the price Roger mentioned, you can get nice Ultrabooks...even at or below the Surface Pro price.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...At the price point of the Surface Pro, you can get a decent Ultrabook.
    A decent Ultrabook will cost that, but a good one (no hard disk ex: HDD 128Gb) will be excellent but costly too and these don´t carry an optical drive.
    I use a 1Tb external disk for backups and all the music, videos etc. And some apps run off it too, so the use of a DVD or CD is not necessary at all. I just download all the stuff I need via the Ultrabook directly into this disk.

The other factor with the touch screens etc is you won´t need a mouse at all. I´ve gotten use to the Ultrabook´s touch pad with the Synaptics software, and now I find the mouse quite cumbersome. But an extra one or two usb slots are always a nice feature to have. You´ll always find a use for them. Especially connecting to different printers or even to charge your phone...
    Last edited by Delfim; 02-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread