+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ncome-Families... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Microsoft Plans $250 PC For Low-Income Families

Advertisement

Villordsutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Nice idea, but the middle classes suffer again. Those that live just on the bread line and cannot tap into free meals even though paying for school meals is a thing they cannot afford for their children.These machines are not going to be ground breaking so why can't the be open to all peoples no matter what class bracket for all school kids.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    wow,what an ugly beast! can you imagine how ostracized your child would be if you had them tote one of these to school?you might as well hang their free lunch card around their neck on a chain.

on a serious note....$250? doesn't sound much cheaper than those deals at walmart they run every year around holiday season. i've seen desktops go for around $300. if they have to have a portable,you can get a netbook for that price too.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    wow,what an ugly beast! can you imagine how ostracized your child would be if you had them tote one of these to school?you might as well hang their free lunch card around their neck on a chain.

on a serious note....$250? doesn't sound much cheaper than those deals at walmart they run every year around holiday season. i've seen desktops go for around $300. if they have to have a portable,you can get a netbook for that price too.

Was thinking the same thing. I think the computer shown is from another program that supplies pc to children overseas. Can't rember the programs name.

I'm amused at how $250 is considered affordable. Despite desire for children to learn, its still a hurdle that can seem insurmountable for a family that is faced with rising insurance (if they can get it), rising gas prices, food prices (food programs don't cover everything), clothing etc.

Our church supplies backpacks full of food to a local school that has a growing population of underprivileged children. Money is so tight that the backpacks themselves were replaced with plastic bags.

The providers of cheap broadband fail to reach those in rural areas. Travel a few miles down the road from us and there's no cable. DSL struggles out here as well.

Cat proves a point as well. 250 buys a basic or entry level laptop from big box retailers. MicroCenter sent me an email for one at 299. How is this a benifit?

Basically this is a "feel good" program that I'd offer wastes money more than offers an opportunity. Think a program to curb the decline of jobs while costs escalate would be better served.

Climbing down from soapbox now.

+ Reply to Thread