+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...iness-for-7-2B... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Microsoft to acquire Nokia's phone business for $7.2B

Advertisement

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    The death of a good company. Now we all know that Nokia makes some pretty good devices, but wish that these devices ran Android. I think Microsoft did this to keep the Nokia brand on windows mobile. A lumia 1020 running android would be sweeeeeeeeeeet!

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    is this a total buy out or are Microsoft just buying the Lumia brand ? so would we still see both symbian Nokia's and Windows Nokias ? or will Nokia never be a Finnish company again ?

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Microsoft is buying the cellular phone business, only. Nokia will carry on with their core business. Cell tower, cell distribution and services.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Now we'll never see a Nokia with any other OS. If we see Nokia, the brand, ever again...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfim View Post
    Now we'll never see a Nokia with any other OS. If we see Nokia, the brand, ever again...
    Sucks doesn't it? Would have loved an android powered Nokia.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Sucks doesn't it? Would have loved an android powered Nokia.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Can't say that this really surprised me though. Seems like these two companies need each other.

KTW
    KTW no está en línea Stack level 5
    it's sad to see Nokia loose its originality, my biggest question is what happens to the headquarters in Finland, do they move to the us ?

KTW, asked and answered. MS bought phone division. Not moving entire corp to US. Even then it financially sound to leave the infrastructure in place for both manufacturing and management.

Costs less to simply move MS people to Finland. Probably some tax incentives staying there as well. I dont see this as a normal buyout, where dead weight is jetisoned to recoup investments. MS has bought the phone division to bolster the OS. Its an investment (and a gamble in my opinion) meant to increase windows marketshare and give MS the hardware side comtrol. My guess is this will help the current workers if the plan pays off, maybe increasing employment.

If it fails then I think Nokia will be spun back off. The brand is solid, I doubt it'll go away.

Of course we thought the same about Blackberry....

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    The trouble is money talks and if you build the right product it's going to be something other want. I think they wanted the rights to the Nokia stuff like the HERE stuff. For us it may mean the Nokia product that was good maybe gone. Time will tell what they will do with this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Jay, Nokia has far more diversified interests and activities in Europe. Cell infrastructure is a major business for them. And they are very active in Asia, Africa and South America. Smartphones had a great input for Nokia, but like Alcatel-Lucent and even Ericsson, Nokia was not dependent on retail tech.

Yeah, I figured as muvh del. Was trying to oversimplify my reply....

+ Reply to Thread