+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ry-Smartphones... Smartphone News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Article: Lookout Mobile Security for BlackBerry Smartphones

Advertisement

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks! These are some really useful features... Minus the Anti-virus. Remote wipe, Backup and phone finder are GREAT overall security add-ons.

I say minus the anti-virus because of all the smartphone platforms out there BlackBerry is arguably the most secure and least vulnerable to viruses out of the box. The web browser is still the most secure (pending the upgrade) thus why slow and back-dated as far the average consumer would be concerned. AES, Triple DES encryption, S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) and FIPS 140-2 validation are all "supported" standard on Blackberry.

A lot of times this security is simply over kill for consumers! Some of the BlackBerry encryption and RIM's "content protection" (when enabled) only drag the older BB's to a halt and slow down the newer ones and not to mention the long reboot graced with a security scan at the end of it.

Windows Mobile will probably need this Anti-virus the most and iPhone in the near future.

Mac OS X is used in Macs, iPhone OS, iPod Touch, and iPad and even Apple TV... its fast becoming attractive for attacks.

I hope this is also offered with the antivirus as an optional upgrade. It still would have a strong feature set!

Those are some good points, H, which I'll be sure and address with the developer.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Roger, how much if at all does the virus scan affect the overall speed of the device? Also, how often is the virus database updated?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Roger, how much if at all does the virus scan affect the overall speed of the device? Also, how often is the virus database updated?
    Good questions. Just to be clear my performance mentions in my above post are related to "RIM's current security enhancements". Of course, any additional performance hits from 3rd party security apps would have to be in comparison to the benefits of such protection. So good questions Matt.

All these processes are run in the background and are programmable to run daily or weekly depending on your preferences. Virus scan takes < 10 seconds to run and will of course depend on how many applications, files, etc you have on the device. The backup takes longer, but as I said it's run in the background, so you will notice little if any latency with regard to device performance.

I have mine set to run late at night so as not to disturb what I do during the day.

You can also choose to run these processes manually as well.

+ Reply to Thread