+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...unch-This-Year... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Look At What RIM Plans To Launch This Year

Advertisement

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I agree with the Title change. It shows how some/many are disappointed tho.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Blackberry BES and productivity + Android functionality = awesomeness, and they were getting points for the rumor that they would be android app compatible but their limited suupport of that ended up screwing them even more. It will take alot for me to go back to Rim and I really want to but I think I speak for many consumers when I say that if RIM wants my business again they need to wow me...

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    Playing their cards that late in the year is not going to help them either.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    So, it looks like nothing new/good...The important lines - Tablet, and Bold, seem to be getting nothing new really. The "Knight" one better wow everyone or BB is really going down the drain. It pains me to say this by the way, because I am an enormous BB fan. I even have the tablet.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've never understood why they didn't or don't use the BB Tablet to highlight what the phone will be. Get their Tab full featured with the staple Apps + a few added bonuses and then offer it on the smaller screen by years end. Everyone knows you don't need 50K Apps. You do however need a small list of good foundation App.
    RogerG likes this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I've never understood why they didn't or don't use the BB Tablet to highlight what the phone will be. Get their Tab full featured with the staple Apps + a few added bonuses and then offer it on the smaller screen by years end. Everyone knows you don't need 50K Apps. You do however need a small list of good foundation App.
    Bingo.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^ Ditto

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    So, it looks like nothing new/good...The important lines - Tablet, and Bold, seem to be getting nothing new really. The "Knight" one better wow everyone or BB is really going down the drain. It pains me to say this by the way, because I am an enormous BB fan. I even have the tablet.
    Not sure about the Bold, but the tablet is getting OS2.0 which has a heck of a lot of new stuff in it (I know everyone is saying it should have been there from the start, but heck at least it is a major improvement in fact it appears to be better than most other offerings), plus they will be making and releasing a 3G+ version along with a 1.5 GHz processor, not sure if it is a dual or quad CPU.

Considering the attitude is that they are dead in the water from a lot of people seems that they still have future plans. Let's see what develops.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Apple
    The issue with this(even if they are great updates) is that Apple will release their new iPhone and a new iPad this year. The Android makers don't stand still and Kindle will sure to be updated also. These little updates from RIM will do little to nothing for them. They need a new look. A new device that can compete with Apple and the many Android makers. It's clear what the majority want and it's not a updated version of BB OS.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    The issue with this(even if they are great updates) is that Apple will release their new iPhone and a new iPad this year. The Android makers don't stand still and Kindle will sure to be updated also. These little updates from RIM will do little to nothing for them. They need a new look. A new device that can compete with Apple and the many Android makers. It's clear what the majority want and it's not a updated version of BB OS.
    What would that device be, it is difficult to make anything these days without being sued by Apple, if it is the same size as the IPad it is infringing on their Patents, I am not sure what people want from RIM. It is like the Republican candidates standing up and saying that unemployment needs to be fixed or there needs to be cuts in the budget, yet they cannot say how or what and they know that whatever they try to cut would not go through. Yes it would be fantastic for RIM to come out with a life changing product but that wont happen. The new Apple products are not particularly different from the old ones, they just change a processor, or update a camera, they are not major, and in some cases I wonder if they don't hold back on certain changes just so they can put them in the next update and hype it as new and wonderful so people will keep buying. Siri for example is being sold as something totally amazing and new and never seen before yet similar items have been on the market for some time, maybe not as advanced but then software changes over the years.
    RemyKirin likes this.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

PIN/ID
    Retired
    You just hit the nail on the head ^^. They lost out and it's too late. Your right and it's going to be a very difficult time undoing what has occurred since 2007-08. RIM fell asleep or was out of touch.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I mentioned this in another thread (Samsunged II) but I have often wondered if that is why Samsung chose the path they did. There are not a lot of options. How many different ways can a touch screen look or work? An App Store is an App Store. It's pretty messed up because of the "Patent" cloud hanging over everyones head.

ps. Still boycotting "Patent" related articles.
    RemyKirin likes this.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    ^^ very true, they did lose out. They had their chance in January of '07 and were very stubborn about what was coming and how it was going to change the industry. Google and Andy Ruben sure looked at it differently and changed their product acordingly. Look at where their at now.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    You just hit the nail on the head ^^. They lost out and it's too late. Your right and it's going to be a very difficult time undoing what has occurred since 2007-08. RIM fell asleep or was out of touch.
    Touch is right they took way to long to develop and release a viable touchscreen product that worked well. And at that time everyone was going for touchscreen as the next major cell improvement since the color screen. I personally didnt like touchscreen as my only interface option (I kinda still dont) but I do like the screen size, eh compromises....

I was a hardcore BB fan, my contract was up and I had already waited 2 months out of contract (I was still on 8900 I believe and wanting to upgrade)for the latest touchscreen BB, I believe it was codenamed Monaco or something (I cant even remember), they pushed it back even further and thats when I was like, Im gonna try out android instead of sitting still, and got my Sensation.

Im sure RIM lost alot of customers this way. And by saying that their new OS would support android apps giving them a new foothold and then failing to deliver a complete solution for that. Ive always said that if RIM would get their head out of the sand I would go back in a heartbeat but that doesnt look like a possibility anytime soon. The sad thing is, that this really is just a matter of timing, they missed the train now they are trying to run it down, either they will catch it soon, or collapse.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast