+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By richmo58

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...he-Games-Begin... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: Let The Games Begin: Apple Needs To Steal These 11 Android Feature

Advertisement

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    All points above are the main reason my girl hates her phone. It updates on its own. It shuts down even if she's in the middle of a call because the so called convenience of updating on its own does tell the phone to shut down. Don't let my phone do everything, let me make a decision if I wanna update an app or not. notifications are fine the way they are. Most android users don't even know how to get to notifications without searching for their manuals. Google maps on iphones I don't see that ever happening. It's a matter of app developers such as tomtom and navigon perhaps partners at that the reason why apple won't allow free turn by turn voice automated gps such as google maps, that and because it does delay, so these apps got these things on check.

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    let's see now how this things might be integrated on the ios6 and hopefully it will work well.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Raton, your girl has the option on the phone settings or even on the Google Play app NOT to update automatically. Actually if auto update of apps is happening like you say, she had to opt for that in the first place. The updates are all set to manual as default.You guys never learn...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Also...
    Settings/call settings uncheck DDTM.
    With the setting checked data takes priority. Calls get routed to voicemail. Unchecked downloads get cut.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    How about true multi-tasking rather than being able to switch between apps. Correct me if I am wrong but when you switch to another program the one you are using is stopped/frozen until you switch back to it, ie you can have a number of Apps open but only one running at a time. Auto update, the first thing I would do is switch that off, I like to know what the changes are prior to update Google maps, since Google makes Android tell me why they would put the same version on a competing platform??? Having a new version on their own platform provides that edge. More items on the home screen, the more cluttered it gets, so this would need to be option

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Most apps freeze. Browser/market continue as do updating like pulse or news apps. I know Titanium will continue as does Root Explorer.

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    With the Android Market (now Play), you have the ability to select automatic updating on an app by app basis. I prefer to disable it, because I'd rather do my updates when I have wi-fi rather than chewing up data.At least with Android, multitasking can take place. Some can explain this better than me, but from a development point of view, each screen you interact with in Android is called an Activity. Typically, if you switch to another application, you're running another Activity. The activity you left doesn't necessarily stop...it does get an onPause callback, at which time you usually set some kind of state so that when it is resumed, ,the onResume callback can restore things. However, an application (activity) can also start a Service, which is kind of a silent (unseen) activity that does perform with other activities and services running. For example, a download or timer might be running as a service while you're playing around with something else. The service can (but I would think usually doesn't) modify the displayed activity, even if it isn't in the foreground. I'm pretty new to this, but its amazing what these little phones can do. I have no idea how all this works in iOS, but I'm sure there's some similarities.Anyway, its nice to have both Android and iOS around, so they can push each other to bigger and better things. There are great features in both phone platforms and it'll be fun to see them both evolve.
    Delfim and dushdavj like this.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I pressed the LIKE link. But I had to do more. Well done richmo

+ Reply to Thread