+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...up-to-the-hype... Smartphone News forum

twistone no está en línea Stack Professional

Article: Is the Apple iPad the only tablet to live up to the hype?

Advertisement

Kevlar Spits
    for booking email: bonsway@gmail.com

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Only thing this article convinces me of is that Apple can create hype.
    Yes, Apple has created a successful tab, but as usual anything else gets mowed down by the hype machine that is Apple. Evidence is provided by all the anticipation over the next iPhone. No one has a hard clue what it is, but they're willing to buy NOW.

Android gets written off because of number of apps etc, yet in all markets/app stores how many redundant or simply useless apps are there?

Apparently Apple doesn't feel so secure at the top, given their increasing desire to patent troll every time someone has success against them.

Sorry for the rant, but just so damn tired of editorials (like this one) that are so biased it hurts ones head to read them. (And yes that goes for android/blackberry/webos/gtandmashomecookedchips/backyardhacks too)

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I really don't think selling 3 million tabs is called success. Well....maybe in their book. Apples playing them game, you can't blame them. The rules are set and they play by them. Maybe Samsung should start being original instead of copying apple.

Copy Apple.......(big, super huge sigh)
    I could go on and on, open up that can of iWorms for the nth time, but honestly not up for it.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Why do you have such a disdain for Apple ???? You can PM me if you wish, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts. I've owned numorous androids, only one left now so I experience on both sides. What is it about apple that irritates you so much? Every post, well....95% of them are anti-apple.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I think it is the hype that goes with Apple. Do you ever see negative comments (other than on here) in the press about Apple? The Tech reviews always say how wonderful the IPad, the IPhone etc is. I never see the downside. Yes we all agree their gadgets are very well built, but they are really controlled. Can you replace the battery on the Iphone, Ipod? No. So when the battery dies you have to replace the whole thing. After 2 years my IPod stopped working, when I took it to the Apple store they wanted to charge me almost the same amount to fix it as it would cost to buy a new one, (I found this annoying). The same with their computers, can you do any upgrades, no you have to buy new, their OS is really good for publishing, photography, etc, and it is very easy to learn (a big plus), but I seem to remember that there was complaints from Xerox about how similar the OS was to their software in the early days. The IPad2 was not really much of an upgrade over the IPad, but everyone wanted one, the camera that was put on it was not a good quality one, which is something I would have expected. Every year a new version comes out, much hyped but in the end not much different, yet people because of the hype are willing to queue for hours/days to be the first to own one without even seeing it. Apple is a brilliant marketing machine, at least now, it is an example of a company that went from being almost bankrupt to being one of the richest companies in the US, this should be admired, and it worked not be giving people what they want but by convincing people that what has been built is what they want. Look at Foxcom the company that builds Apples several suicides happen at their plants, is it investigated? What about the suppliers that pollute the environment, does this rub off on Apple? Or their plants in America which Greenpeace have criticized, does anyone care? How about the antenna problem, did Apple come out and say hey sorry there is a design fault, we will fix it? No instead they came out and first denied the problem, then said every phone has the problem, and it quietly went away. Yet the Iphone5 apparently has a new antenna design hmmm? I just feel that we should be fair about the reviews, I think they have very good products, but are they the best out there, it depends on how you want to use them.

We should always hope that on this site we will see negative and positive reports about all new items, just as you should see on all technical reviews, unfortunately if you read the technical press they lean towards praising all Apple products, while running down all other products. All I see at the moment are articles stating that the PlayBook, and all other Pad devices will go the same way as the TouchPad. I wonder? I just ask the question what if the technical press had been so negative about all the PC's comparing them to the Apple computer back in the '80s, suggesting they would all fail, after all DOS was not that easy to use in comparison. What would we be doing today?

This is my opinion, in the end I am happy to see IPhone, IPad and any other I device do well, but I also want to see competition given a fair review, and not to be shot down by Patent battles, so that we the consumer will always have a choice available to us. I do not want to follow the Henry Ford model and have any color I want as long as it is black

Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Why do you have such a disdain for Apple ???? You can PM me if you wish, I'm very curious to hear your thoughts. I've owned numorous androids, only one left now so I experience on both sides. What is it about apple that irritates you so much? Every post, well....95% of them are anti-apple.
    I was going to simply make a new thread, but perhaps I'll just post it here.

I know my anger shows in my posts, and I will thank you for tolerating them. I've been asked why I hate, have disdain, wanna nuke Apple many times. Truth be told I do not "hate" Apple. I believe their products are good products, worthy of (some) praise. I can't tell you that I'd buy one, and that lead me to finding a gem of a reply to an article. While the words are not mine, the author intelligently sums up how I feel (something I couldn't do). I did edit out some parts I didn't agree with because I did not want to offend Pin stacks Apple users, they don't deserve it, and I won't do it.

" What I do care about is Apple is actively trying to shut down my access to Android tablets and Android smart phones that I do intend to buy. And they're trying to do it with bogus patents like the patent on a tablet that is "rectangular with rounded corners". And the stupid thing about it is I'm not even an Apple customer. Since I have the ability to reason I won't pay their idiotic prices, after all, as I mentioned before, I'm not an Apple cultist. (And they probably don't consider me "worthy" enough to buy their product even if I was dumb enough to try.)So I'm not their customer, they don't want me as their customer, but with true cultist mentality they don't want me to buy from anyone else either.That's what bugs me about Apple. They picked the fight with me and the companies I want to deal with. If Apple wants to slink off and be molly-coddled by their cultists, that's fine with me. Live and let live. But iff they want to screw with me and my choices than I say it's time to nuke 'em into the stone age."

OK, nuking may be a bit much, but that part just makes me laugh, so I thought I'd share.

And that's it really. Apple seems to believe its buy Apple and smile, or go home. They've used patent trolling to try and bully competitors, not happy to create and sell, innovate and move on. Apple (Jobs in particular) isn't ashamed of the tech its stolen, or "copied", yet is more then willing to trot off to court claiming its own designs have been kanged.
    Apple didn't invent the smartphone, nor multi touch. What they did do is create a wonderful little device that packaged it together, then marketed the hell out of it. I will say I believe they did create a cult as well, but I don't think that's the point. The point is that they then patent inventions or technology they didn't create and run to court with it when they feel threatened. To me that's bad business and bad for the industry.

Now, I'm just a Hillbilly End User. In my neck of the woods if you want to succeed you have to work at it. If someone comes along and wants to compete, you just work harder. Naive? Perhaps. It's honest though, and to get my respect and money that goes a long way. I can see from my simplified view that all these lawsuits cost money. One needn't be a Rocket Scientist to know that any of these companies are passing that bill down to you and I.

If anything Apple is showing that they can create wonderful tech toys, but are afraid to compete. Maybe being near bankruptcy and pulling it out has left that fear there. I can't speculate (any more than I have) on that. I can say I wonder just how so many can be blind to this, and not actively question it. Loyalty is a good thing, but to the point where selective blindness occurs is dangerous.

Thanks for getting this far, if you have :-)
    I promise, that it's not hate, but distrust and simple outrage that motivates me. Feel free to bust my chops if you'd like.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You are forgiven Jay.
    Our opinion (maybe excluding some Apple fans) are reflected here.
    Its a case of my way or the highway...
    That's been tried in the past, religion wise, politics, business and cultural.
    They didn't win then.They won't now.
    Its all got to do with time. We are here today. What about tomorrow ?

Its very, very important that some here realize that its not hate driven, and I (honestly!) don't feel they are a part of iCult.
    I'm poor folks, plain and simple. One thing poor teaches you is watch not only what you spend, but WHO you spend it with. Business is ugly, I have expirience to know that. I simply can't support a company that is so (IMO) afraid of competition that they attempt to block others, and may end up hurting their own customers at the same time.

I always realized that the customer had needs, and maybe I couldn't fill them. If I was unable to provide for a customer I had no problem sending them to my competition. It was the right thing to do. I won a lot of folks that way, maybe they'd come back, maybe they'd send a friend to me, knowing I could fill their needs. If business slacked, I didntvattack competitors, even IF they were doing what I was, I just worked a bit harder. I'll carry this same philosophy when I join the ministry towards other denominations, and others with different beliefs.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Android tablets wont see iPad numbers until the price comes down. The Fire sale of HP Touchpads taught us that the consumers want tablets, they're just not gonna pay that much for a non Apple tablet.

Android is doing well in phone sales, not because Android is the hands down winner of the two, but because manufactures are giving away Android cheaply. When Motorola or the other tablet makers start lowering their prices, implement Honeycomb Bogo's, or simply sell off their entire stock of unsold Honeycomb for $99 then they will see some numbers. That or they can make Honeycomb a better all around experience with more apps.

I agree. Tablets are way too high. Also, admittedly Honeycomb needs some improvement, but I'm guessing they'll hold off since Ice Cream Sandwich will run on tablets as well.

And after some thinking, I'm just going to lay off my opinions on Apple. May help my heartburn.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 09-02-2011 at 02:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread