+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...(Multitasking)... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Article: iPhone OS 4.0 (Multitasking)

Advertisement

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Multitasking on the next IPhone would bring the house down for sure, that one app at a time is the one thing that keeps so many away, not to mention the Battery life. If they can overcome both of those MAJOR issues their numbers would increase tremendously by the hour.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    It really does open the door to more possibilities. Especially when you think about multi-media from 3rd party Apps.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I was thinking long and hard about this after I went to try the Pre Plus and Verizon for 5 days. Multi-tasking is amazing. At the same time, it's deadly.

As mentioned above, there's the battery, cpu, responsiveness, etc..etc..

I think personally, what I really want is 'active backgrounding' -- and yes, that's different than multi-tasking. I don't want to necessarily control the background applications. But I do want them to stay alive.

My BEST ex is GPS. I want to be able to launch the phone app WHILE i am in the GPS app (Navigon for ex). I know that if you receive a call the app will pause and re-launch, but I should be able to make a call and "background it", without touching it anymore.

There's a pretty good paper on multi-tasking vs backgrounding vs push, and it's something very interesting to consider.

You always gain something with one approach, but risk something else. Good examples are Android vs Apple. These are two devices that i've spent a long time with, and they are complete opposites. Both provide some great benefits to the architectural approach they've taken, and due to that approach, both suffer/lack some features.

Overall, it's VERY interesting to see what the nice "in between" will be.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Its about time. If they add led flash for the camera, a removal battery, and the ability to save on an SD card to it too. I think i might get one.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    There is one thing I'm sure of. If Apple does move this way it will not compromise the Processor, Battery or require the user to monitor what is working in the background.

Apple is about simple and easy to use UI. Weather your 8 or 88 years old you should be able to use an Apple product equally.

A long time ago an instructor once told me Windows would be awesome if it didn't make the user feel stupid.

When u think about that statement it makes sense.

Archer2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have owned smartphones running all the major operating systems. Each obviously having their own set of pros & cons. Due to the demand for small thin form factors, long battery run times, large screens, & a smartphone packed with loads functionalty this is a daunting task. So far my three favs have been BlackBerry, iPhone & Droid. Going forward it seems that if one that desires freedom of choice the open source Android OS will be the way to go as they grow & mature. Look at the popularity they are already enjoying. Give them some time, the fact that Android is available to a plethora of hanset makers, & their future looks great.

When it comes to the very nice iPhone, it's limited & controlled by Apples Ecosystem. Closed & Expensive.

RIM had it all back in the day, but seems to have lost their way. Who knows if they will get their mojo back? One thing seems certain, they have the luxury of coasting for some time before they become obsolete.

+ Reply to Thread