+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...fect-says-Jobs... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Article: "iPhone isn't perfect", says Jobs

Advertisement

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I know some folks that has the iphone 4 and has no issues with it. I guess its hit or miss. But the design flaw has been proven. Jobs should just man up and except the facts that "Huston we have a problem", and then work to fix it. What a mess.

tying to throw Rim under the bus will make this look even worst. Last time I checked, Blackberries never had the problem the Iphone 4 has; I know I use to own 6 different models.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Bumper case = a band aid on a bullet wound! No phone I've ever owned had this problem. ITS A HUGE DESIGN FLAW!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Planneau, rdills -- Could not agree more with both your comments.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Right, OK! Lets admit it... It's a flaw! Next case...
    Sorry for my grumpiness, but there are far more serious concerns and they are worth more of our attention.
    But on a footnote, and since I'm an avid supporter of BB, I wonder why there wasn't an outcry of this proportion when we got the endless time clock spinning on our BB screens ?
    This wasn't a flaw guys ! This was a deliberate software blunder that kept us entertained and forever occupied searching for the better OS ! But, since it was preprogrammed, CNN and all the news makers as well as consumer lobbyists accepted it as a fact of "smartphone" evolution...
    Gimme a break !

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I know I was one of those mad as hell about the constant hourglass on the older OS' and to some degree on the newer ones. I think there's a distinction between the two as this is a hardware design flaw that could have been avoided. My contention with the whole situation is Jobs denying a problem, then blaming the consumer, then finally offering the initial fix everyone asked for, after saying he wouldn't do it. Worse to me has been his shifting attention from the iPhone and pushing this issue onto other manufacturers.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    But will this indignation harm Apple, specifically the sales of the i4? I seriously doubt it. Apple has been near or at the top, so it's just reasonable that everyone else will be gunning for no.1. The public expects everything that Apple makes to be perfect, and when it's not, it's worthy of the lead in story on CNN? Come on now, it's a phone, and it has one (in my opinion) very minor flaw, that-1. doesnt affect but a very small percentage 2. can easily be rectified by a bumper. As I stated, mine has worked perfectly. I believe we are too focused on our never ending search for the ultimate/perfect device.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Kimberlee no está en línea Stack level 3
    I really don't care what the problem is or not with the iPhone. But don't come out and say that the Blackberry Bold 9700 has the same problem. Don't deflect Apple's problems on Rim. If it's broke Mr. Job's FIX IT, but leave Rim out of the picture. I have never had a antenna issue with any of my 6 berries.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    But will this indignation harm Apple, specifically the sales of the i4? I seriously doubt it. Apple has been near or at the top, so it's just reasonable that everyone else will be gunning for no.1. The public expects everything that Apple makes to be perfect, and when it's not, it's worthy of the lead in story on CNN? Come on now, it's a phone, and it has one (in my opinion) very minor flaw, that-1. doesnt affect but a very small percentage 2. can easily be rectified by a bumper. As I stated, mine has worked perfectly. I believe we are too focused on our never ending search for the ultimate/perfect device.
    Agreed Glen that we expect a lot, possibly more then feasible, from our devices. I however expect that where technology falls short, people will not. Jobs has been very callous in the way this was handled. I'm not so much concerned with the device itself (unless it's true Apple knew ahead of time about it), but more so the p.r. spin Jobs has done of blaming consumers and then going, "Well it's those guys too".
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I agree. But you know what they say-"any publicity is good publicity". Im not defending Apple/Jobs. Im just stating that it's a non issue for me, and that this i4 is a rock solid smartphone.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    My husband had to use my daughters BB 8120 Pearl to call me from the coast because he could not get a signal on his 3GS. Same carrier and the BB had full bars and the 3GS had none. So, I think it's BS for Jobs to throw Rim under the bus.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I think what would have been better would to have left out the whole video showing the other phones. This is a apple issue and they should not try to point fingers at any one else regardless if they have similar issues or not. He should have touched on that all smartphones have a similar issue but that the iPhone 4 due to it's antenna design makes this more pronounced and easier to replicate than other phones. This is a issue that seems to affect those in a lower strength coverage area the most. I know that where m at I have great coverage by all three carriers so this could be one reason that I haven't seen a dropped call on mine. The software upgrade will show a more accurate indication of how strong the network and signal is in your area. To give free bumpers and cases is the right thong to do as most that own any type of smartphone buy a case for it. I was looking for a reponse more along the lines of. We tested and tested and sometimes the r&d process is slightly flawed. We do our best to create a perfect device with zero issues but this is the nature of being inventive and being a front runner in tech. To compensate for this over sight we are offering free bumpers and cases to those that have and choose to by the iPhone 4.

I understand that they have state of the art testing facilities but simulating reception is different than real world experiences and as everyone knows from the leaked/stolen prototype it was covered to look like a 3Gs. This didn't give a true real world experience to the new design. There were flaws with the testing, there almost always is. Aircraft manufactures test and test and simulate more than any one and planes still fall out of the sky due to design sometimes. It would have been better to just say " hey, we now see our testing flaws and we are working to correct them. For now we at giving free cases away.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    BHP that was awesome. Really well said.

Unfortunately the Press then Politics kicked in like they seem to do a lot this last decade and we ended up with what has already occurred. We seem to find it more difficult than ever to admit being wrong and more often than not we have been programed to throw blame and have lost our ability to accept responsibility for our own actions. It's rare individuals do it and companies are a sure bet they won't either.

So we end up with what has already occurred. The best thing we can do as consumers is make a personal choice (buy a product or not) and move on leaving the topic in our memories to recall for later so that we can make better choices when faced with a decision in the future.

I've mentioned it b4 and will mention it again. 99% of my iP4 usage is Apps and 1% is telephone. Apple could remove the antenna and it would not bother me. The UI and ecosystem is still stronger than anything else and every other item on the market is competing with the Apple UI, App eco system and they still have a few years to go before reaching the same level for their users.

Android will be very, very attractive going forward for the very reason. They have done a tremendous job. WM7 could do the same. The best part about all this is the fact that we can pretty much be guaranteed others will not attempt what Apple did with the antenna going forward so we have all benefited.

The early adopters or those who have purchased the iP4 have actually done our part in buying, using, testing and reporting.

It's part of the fun of new technology and in part why we love using our devices no matter what the brand or type.

I will mention this not to divert attention but to rather stimulate more thought for this great thread.

Remember back to a time when RIM released something and the complaints poured in or at least we posted on boards everywhere?
    What was their reply? When Google figured out the N1 Touch screen has issues, what did they do? When everyone was having issues with the TrackBall not tracking correct or not responding what did RIM do?

There are many more examples that could be brought up and it's interesting to discuss how others have addressed the issues. Apples 22 days or 3 weeks for the largest tech company in the US is not to bad. I'm happy they did respond, even tho I tend to agree with some of the other view points about other ways they could have done things a little better.

I'm sure they will not make the same mistake twice.

Last edited by srl7741; 07-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I think what would have been better would to have left out the whole video showing the other phones. This is a apple issue and they should not try to point fingers at any one else regardless if they have similar issues or not.

BHP that was awesome. Really well said.

Unfortunately the Press then Politics kicked in like they seem to do a lot this last decade and we ended up with what has already occurred. We seem to find it more difficult than ever to admit being wrong and more often than not we have been programed to throw blame and have lost our ability to accept responsibility for our own actions. It's rare individuals do it and companies are a sure bet they won't either.

Remember back to a time when RIM released something and the complaints poured in or at least we posted on boards everywhere?
    What was their reply? When Google figured out the N1 Touch screen has issues, what did they do? When everyone was having issues with the TrackBall not tracking correct or not responding what did RIM do?

I kind of understand what you are saying, but

You basically did the same thing Steve Jobs did.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Hahaha, well? Your right. hahahahha. I can't take it back or find the words to explain it any better tho so I must keep it as it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast