+ Reply to Thread

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...-Drain-Battery... Smartphone News forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Article: iPhone 4S: 4 Fastest Ways To Drain Battery

Advertisement

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i'm glad i got one of the miracle devices. just passed 12 hours for the day and still at 65% battery.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

hazzmatte no está en línea Stack level 2
    This guy must be an apple hater. Never have a problem with the battery.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Read an article yesterday, trying to find it but can't now. I read too much...can't remember where it was. Anyway, a guy has two identical iPhone 4s, one has dev apps the other is his daily driver. The daily has battery issues, the other does not. He swapped backups, effectively switching which device does what and found the battery issue followed. Now the former dev phone (with daily driver backup) is draining quickly and the other is fine. Both phones bought at same time, both with iOS 5. On the surface it seems its a software issue. I had a similar issue on the tab and had to jump through hoops to recalibrate the battery. I wish I could find that article for you guys......

Edit.... http://m.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/tes...-problem/16250

There.
    Last edited by jfcooley; 11-15-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazzmatte View Post
    This guy must be an apple hater. Never have a problem with the battery.
    Reporting issues doesn't make one a hater. A quick Google search finds many owners with the issue. I'll admit to wondering if there's also a mass hysteria thing going on here as well, but too many legit reports to ignore.

That aside, only an idiot would hope that someone who spends money on a new device would have problems. I'm no iPhone lover, but folks spend good money on these things, hope they get a fix. I'm sure it will, bugs are par for the course with new os versions. Apple will sort it out.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    It seems he solved his issue. Restore the phone as new. Obviously there is nothing wrong with either iPhone.

Software somewhere is flaking out the battery. Thankfully its software, which in time can be ferreted out and solved.

I'm curious if the battery drains, or if its just being reported to the os drained. Guess is its draining but I wonder because of an issue I had on my tab.

Basically the battery was draining quickly, well was showing as draining quickly. 10% every few minutes. A reboot would show a higher percentage, but its drain just as quiclky. The fix was simple but time consuming. Essentially the software wasn't calibrating the battery and reporting a false measurement to the hardware. To fix involved charging to ballpark 80% or better, draining (actual drain, not false), waiting a few hours, then recharging.

I never tracked what was causing it beyond the installation of a ROM/kernel combo. No problems since.

So...was wondering if anyone has looked at false calibration reporting. Sounds simple, but Sammy was unsure (probably because of custom ROMs and not knowing what was changed in them). I will say that I'm nearly certain (without an ounce of proof) that it had to do with USB charging. The tab isn't set up for that out of the box, the kernel had it added. Seems it started after that.

Anyway.......just some thoughts.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    It seems in his case he has something corrupt in his back up. All the others you could be right Jay. I've seen it happen with different pieces before and iPhones and Androids. A lot of people are not calibrating the battery and this could be a cause of it. It's funny because I read all these story's and I never have a issue. It's very very rare. Problem is when you get 10 million users using the same OS on the same device. Someones going to start bitching about something. The likely hood of it being a major issue is slim, id be willing to bet on a TFU problem.

Well its the interwebs.
    For every positive comment about a device or os there will be 100 negative.

+ Reply to Thread