+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can view the page at http://forums.pinstack.com/content.p...ords-and-Video... Smartphone News forum

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Article: iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom Comparison in Words and Video

Advertisement

You can't learn anything if you're talking!

mrholder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Great video! I like the brighter display of the ipad 2, but seems like the xoom did everything much better than the ipad 2. The game that was compared seemed to stutter quite a bit on the ipad 2 and ran much smoother on the xoom. Flash on the xoom looks awesome. Just wish the Android Market had the same amount of apps and games as the App Store does. Hopefully they will catch up.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    After seeing this, and having to decide logically, the Xoom is the best choice. No argument here!
    But then you have aesthetics, the name, the looks...and your rationale goes for a loop !
    Last edited by Delfim; 03-15-2011 at 07:08 PM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    If I had to pick I'd not settle for a wannabe iPad. I'll have to buy a big sd card just to catch up to the other dude's storage. Retina display rules .

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    If I had to pick I'd not settle for a wannabe iPad. I'll have to buy a big sd card just to catch up to the other dude's storage. Retina display rules .
    I didn't think that the IPAD 2 had the Retina display . I must admit much as I like the look of the Xoom, I would be reluctant to buy it, as it is tied to Verizon, I still prefer the 4G/3G/2G options. Much as I see WiFi as a good option, one of the nice things about the tablet format is the capability of having a data plan, and one that can be used worldwide.
    I will continue to watch what becomes available over the next 6-9 mths, (IPad 3, etc).

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by mrholder View Post
    Great video! I like the brighter display of the ipad 2, but seems like the xoom did everything much better than the ipad 2. The game that was compared seemed to stutter quite a bit on the ipad 2 and ran much smoother on the xoom. Flash on the xoom looks awesome. Just wish the Android Market had the same amount of apps and games as the App Store does. Hopefully they will catch up.
    Im not a fan of any of these pads but just based on this comparison the smarter investment is the xoom. the only thing the ipad2 had better was apps. which isnt a big deal.on the other hand the camera, flash, the ability to customize more for the xoom and the fact you dont have to buy extra parts, upgraded memory really puts the xoom in the smarter choice for the price.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

Drasadex no está en línea Stack level 3
    If I were to choose to buy either the iPad or the Xoom, it would be the Xoom. By what I saw, iPad has the apps, and the Xoom...well, just seems better than the iPad.

Then again, what about the PlayBook? Will it be better than the iPad and Xoom? (Also makes me wonder how the PlayBook will do in the market once it's released).

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Its so funny to read these comments. When I have a few more minutes to spare, I would like to add my two cents in.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Optimized for xoom apps:SOCIAL/MESSAGING/EMAIL APPS:

Touchdown for tablets - Exchange app
    Trendster HD - Twitter trends

PRODUCTIVITY/OFFICE APPS:

Due Today - To-do list
    Docs 2 Go - Not yet optimized, but the best office suite available that actually works on 3.0 for the moment.
    GoAruna - File Manager and Cloud Storage

NEWS APPS:

Pulse - Blog aggregator
    CNN - Very slick design
    USA Today
    HNDroid HD - Hacker News feed
    NYTimes
    Financial Times

ENTERTAINMENT APPS:

Movies (Flixster)
    IMDB (No mention of tablet support, but interface is now clearly optimized for tablets)

PHOTO/VIDEO APPS:

SmugFolio for Smugmug
    FlickFolio for Flickr
    Zfolio for Zenfolio
    PicFolio for Picasa
    LifeShow Player - Slideshow software (beta)

UTILITY APPS:

Grocery iQThumb Keyboard
    Phone My PC
    My Verizon Mobile For Tablets
    myLock for XOOM - quick unlock app
    File Station - file browser

Keyboards:

Thumb Keyboard

Books/Readers:

Kindle

WEATHER APPS:

Accuweather
    Weatherbug (beta)

MAP/NAV APPS:

Google Sky Map
    Earthquake! for tablets - Seismic activity mapping
    Google Earth - Supposedly optimized for dual-core now. Works great, but no honeycomb optimizations as of yet.

MISC APPS:

Androidify
    DrawFree
    Agricola Score Sheet - No idea what Agricola is, but this is made for honeycomb!

MEDICAL APPS:
    Google Body - Awesome!

GAMES:

Shortyz Crosswords
    GUN BROSSamurai II: Vengeance
    Fruit Ninja THD
    Angry Birds Seasons
    Cordy
    Monster Madness
    Rocket Bunnies
    Backbreaker THD
    Talking Tomcat
    Word Worm HD
    Hardwood Solitaire IV
    Air Attack HD - portrait mode only, but looks and plays great.
    Spectral Souls

Should I even take up the space for the iPad ??

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    so your entire 2 cents is saying that the ipad2 has more apps and thats it basically?
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

PIN/ID
    Apple
    A much as Motorola would love to claim this a success, it's not. When will the world learn that besides the few geeks that can't let go of the buggy,security risk, never works the same twice in one sitting, flash, the res of the world could care less. Don't believe me? You don't have to. The figures speak for themselves. I could go to any store that was selling the xoom on launch day and pick one up. No lines, no number, no ticket, just walked in, paid my money and walked out. Say that about the iPad 2.

What Motorola and Google fail to realize is that, and I'll take this straight form the article that rdills posted, is ;"As we've learned, specs aren't everything these days: user experience and apps are paramount."

They fail to realize that they aren't competing against just the iPad or the iPad2. Their up against the whole ecosystem that apple has created; and done a damn fine job with it. The best apps are on iOS, more and more businesses are embracing the power that the iPad and the iOS ecosystem has to offer. Are we going to see doctors and nurses using xoom or whatever else they release in the next few months(lets hope it doesn't get like the Android phones). No, we're not. No one wants to worry if the new device they just bought is going to last, is it going to get updated, which version am I on??

I'm no going to sit here and say that iOS doesn't have it's share needed improvements, nor am I going to say that Android doesn't have some nice features. What I am going to say is that these companies just don't get it. Apple does. It isn't or has it ever been about who has the most horsepower under the hood. It's always and always will be about who puts that horsepower down the smoothest. That my friends, is Apple.

There is so much to say when it comes to these two products, but honestly, if you are really considering spending $599 and up, wouldn't you want the one with staying power, with history, knowing that you bought in confidence the one device that if you can think it, imagine it or dream it, "there's a app for that" . 65,000 and counting......

PIN/ID
    Apple
    No remy, I could go on about the strong and weak points of both and this thread may end up that way.
    Last edited by BHP77; 03-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    so your entire 2 cents is saying that the ipad2 has more apps and thats it basically?
    Enlighten me on how this makes absolutely no difference at all.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    Im not a fan of any of these pads but just based on this comparison the smarter investment is the xoom. the only thing the ipad2 had better was apps. which isnt a big deal.on the other hand the camera, flash, the ability to customize more for the xoom and the fact you dont have to buy extra parts, upgraded memory really puts the xoom in the smarter choice for the price.
    Does it really??? Because if I'm not mistaken the whole market of smartphones and tablets, even browsers these days is apps. Am I wrong or did I miss something when steve said they have paid out over 2 billion dollars to developers??? They didn't pay that money out because they wanted to feel good about themselves. They paid it because millions bought apps.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    You left quite a few off the list.. In fact, its impossible to keep any list current because the developers are updating so fast. There's a satisfying amout of apps that work to keep anyone busy for now.

There is one huge problem I have with the Xoom. Since getting flash, I haven't used my laptop at all, and I don't want to anymore. The Xoom does everything I need, only better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast